PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on Wheel Colour for my 69

Nutsy
01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Ok. I/we have narrowed it down to painting the car either Black or a Darker Blue with Gun Metal SS Stripes.

I am going to be getting Forgeline SP3P w/ poliswhed lips (see attached picture). I need to get the wheels now before the car is painted so that i can mock everything up and start the fab work on the suspension, body, chassis to fit the wheels/tires.

So my question is given that I have two choices to paint the car at this point, do i get a Black center or Gun metal center on the wheels?

Please state your choice and reason why you made that choice.

My dad and I are in disagreement about the wheels, however, both of us are leaning to painting the car black with gun metal SS Stripes.

He wants Black centers on the wheels because "it will look cool all black".

I want Gun Metal Centers on the wheels to accentuate the SS Stripes and also because i feel if the wheels are black, then you will loose some of the lines of the car because there will be too much black.

Please place your votes!

Payton King
01-31-2006, 12:59 PM
I would go with the grey centers for the reasons you stated.

ironworks
01-31-2006, 01:15 PM
I guess the saying once you go black you never go back is fitting here. I would go the black centers on the car weather you paint the car black or grey. the gray centers would be for another color. More of a contrast color. The black wheels thing though is kind of a fade you might say. I like the black wheels. And think they look good on black cars and dark colored cars. They also look good on contrasting color cars. Just my 2 cents but once you order the black you can never go back.

Rodger

hiwayman
01-31-2006, 01:21 PM
iv gone with black on mine so i say black check out in my post cool wheels

Ricochet
01-31-2006, 01:35 PM
It really depends on what direction you are going with the car. The black wheels would look good if you are going with the stealth bad ass look. With the Gun Metal centers it will not have that look, but will add the detailing contrast that I think black needs. IMO If it were my car, I would go with Gun Metal centers. It is a nice contrasting yet neutral color that would go well with the stripes.

Look at Prodigy, if that car had black wheels I think they would get lost & give the car a whole different look.

Nutsy
01-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Any photoshop wizz' around here?

J2SpeedandCustom
01-31-2006, 01:40 PM
My $.02 is get the polished ones now. since the wheel is 3 pc you can always take the centers out and have them powder coated to match the stripe or black or whatever color you want. The polished centers will make the powder coat so much better.

Just make sure to un-mount the tires before you disassemble the wheel... :willy:

Ricochet
01-31-2006, 02:31 PM
My $.02 is get the polished ones now. since the wheel is 3 pc you can always take the centers out and have them powder coated to match the stripe or black or whatever color you want. The polished centers will make the powder coat so much better.

Just make sure to un-mount the tires before you disassemble the wheel... :willy:

Good call!! Why didn't I think of that?? DUH? Especially since that's bascially what I'm doing. For a different reason though. My polished centers should be here this week. I'll have them coated, then I'm sending them back for assembly.

Having polished pieces before powder coating or anodizing does make for a much nicer finish.

XcYZ
01-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Aren't modular wheels great?! :thumbsup:

ProdigyCustoms
01-31-2006, 06:34 PM
I hate polished SP3Ps on black cars

rs-ss
01-31-2006, 07:36 PM

hey man do you have the link for the pics to that car, i want to see how the interior looks like

ProdigyCustoms
02-01-2006, 08:13 AM
rs-ss, I dont want to hijack the post. Send me an emalil to [email protected], i'll send you some pics.

Roger Poirier
02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Contrast is what you need, gunmetal. :thumbsup:

R.P.

Rybar
01-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I am liking the dark metallic blue idea with gun metal stripes. Then get the gun metal center wheels to match the stripes. Black on black looks killer right now, but not sure how long the fad will last.

ZZ3ElCamino
01-08-2007, 01:29 PM

Hey Frank, how about chrome SP3P's on a black car? Have you guys sent Michael's wheels out to get chromed?

ProdigyCustoms
01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey Frank, how about chrome SP3P's on a black car? Have you guys sent Michael's wheels out to get chromed?

I was being a bit of a smart ass. Actually, we are looking at sending them in for Black Chroming, but probably not until after Hot Rods and Restorations.

ZZ3ElCamino
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I was being a bit of a smart ass. Actually, we are looking at sending them in for Black Chroming, but probably not until after Hot Rods and Restorations.

I was picking up on your sarcasm, plus I knew that you guys were planning on chroming the SP3P's because they are a pain.

Roger Poirier
01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
It really depends on what direction you are going with the car. The black wheels would look good if you are going with the stealth bad ass look. With the Gun Metal centers it will not have that look, but will add the detailing contrast that I think black needs. IMO If it were my car, I would go with Gun Metal centers. It is a nice contrasting yet neutral color that would go well with the stripes.

Look at Prodigy, if that car had black wheels I think they would get lost & give the car a whole different look.

Could not be said any better.....

Side note, paint the car dark blue that you selected. You better be willing to spend big bucks on a black paint job in order to get to look right. Ask me how I know?

R.P.

Roger Poirier
01-08-2007, 06:43 PM
I am liking the dark metallic blue idea with gun metal stripes. Then get the gun metal center wheels to match the stripes. Black on black looks killer right now, but not sure how long the fad will last.

I'm with Rybar on this one, unless you are looking for the stealth look.

R.P.

Steve1968LS2
01-08-2007, 07:09 PM
All black is "too much of a good thing" - although it looked great on Fuel. I just think the GM would look better unless you are gonna black out everything like Fuel did.

The gunmetal will make for a nice offset with whatever color you choose (except another gunmetal color)

71Nova
01-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I would do the gun metal as long as the stripe is the exact same color. It wouldn't look good if the wheels and the stripe clash with each other.

jwalk
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
If you're painting the car black I would go with black centers and the titanium bolts. If you paint it blue I would do the gray centers. Here is a pic of my wheels. Matte Blk center/Brushed nickle outer/ti bolts/red stripe...

buickfunnycar.com
09-23-2010, 06:41 PM
If you're painting the car black I would go with black centers and the titanium bolts. If you paint it blue I would do the gray centers. Here is a pic of my wheels. Matte Blk center/Brushed nickle outer/ti bolts/red stripe...

Beautiful wheels jwalk...:hail:

dwilson
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
black car with black centers.

The black centers will look great with the contrasting rivets in my opinion.

DFRESH
10-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Holy smokes---the post was three years old boys----was it revived by the original poster? Man, talk about taking his time to choose the right color combo and wheel selection---I thought I was a patient man--:lol:

Doug

Lowfast
08-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Have you considered a gold or bronze center, looks great on a dark blue or black car. Plus it is more unique than the common black or grey centers.:cheers:

70rs
08-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Have you considered a gold or bronze center, looks great on a dark blue or black car. Plus it is more unique than the common black or grey centers.:cheers:

This thread was started in 2006. I am going to take a wild guess and say the paint choice has been made by now. :cheers:

buickfunnycar.com
08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
I would go with the grey centers for the reasons you stated...

Didn't even need to read through all that...don't go black centers,lol...old thread.

BForgedWheels
12-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Here is a new color we have done. Matte Brushed Bronze with Gloss Black outer Rim .