PDA

View Full Version : Red Devil in Car and Driver

Stielow
07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Guys the Car and Driver story is out.

It is a good write up and has cool picks.

Before you guys give me crap about the 1/4 mile time let me give the racers excuses.

• It was 48 degree day
• They would not let me drive it
• The track surface was like and side street.
• The guy was spinning tires 1 – 3 gear.
• On the 12 pass the blower pulley came off

So we went 11.8 at 127 on a 48 degree day on a regular road with a guy who has never driven my car before.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q2/1969_chevrolet_camaro_red_devil_pro_touring-specialty_file

Stielow

Vegas69
07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
These definitely aren't drag cars and they are extremely difficult to get out of the hole on a drag strip, let alone a greasy road.

It was a great article. I didn't realize your car was that heavy. Makes me feel better about my hoss.:D

67ragtp
07-06-2011, 11:35 AM
no need for excuses, the car is flat out awesome! 127mph tells the story, most likely closer to 130 and in the 10s with you behind the wheel.

Great read- Rich

Flash68
07-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Ha, no excuses needed. Still very good times and people on this forum know you could've bested those by a large margin in better conditions. What can ya do.

And was really impressed with the article and pics overall for a mag I normally don't enjoy. The pictures with a legend outlining each part and its detail/manufacturer was a very nice tough.

Congrats "High Priest" :unibrow: :thumbsup:

Rybar
07-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Cool article Mark and definately gives a boost to our movement ....

Any reason why they wouldn't let you run it in the 1/4? And why wasn't it done on a track?

Track Junky
07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Just the fact that a PT car made it into Car and Driver alone is huge!!

Porsche, Ferrari, and Vette guys will be thinking twice next time they are next to a PT car at a stop light.:thumbsup:

camcojb
07-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Before you guys give me crap about the 1/4 mile time let me give the racers excuses.

• It was 48 degree day

So we went 11.8 at 127 on a 48 degree day on a regular road with a guy how has never driven my car before.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q2/1969_chevrolet_camaro_red_devil_pro_touring-specialty_file

Stielow
what a slug.............. :lol:

Stuart Adams
07-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Car and driver, that's cool. Congrats.

Ummgawa
07-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Salute to the High Priest! :hail:

66LS7
07-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Congrats Mark, great write up!:thumbsup:

XcYZ
07-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Love all of it, the story, the photography...

It would be cool to throw some drag radials on it and take it to Milan. Not that it really matters, though. We all know what it's capable of. :D

NovaBlue71
07-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Congrat's Mark, great story and pic's. I bet that guy who said he would take a new zo6 anyday might change his tune if he saw what you were doing to those zo6's at that track day at gingerman last fall.I'll catch up with you down at columbus. :thumbsup: Joe.

wiedemab
07-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Congratulations, that is a very cool write-up on an awesome car.

I must say, after the Pope comments, I fully expect you to start wearing a funny hat.

protour73
07-08-2011, 07:12 AM
what a slug.............. :lol:

wow.........well Mark, I gues somebody had to give you the "schoolyard punch in the arm" .. way to go Jody!! lol

Congrats Mark

I still have to pick up a copy of this issue

RENN SCHNELL
07-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Great story w/ really cool pics!!! Where is the Burger joint, looks like a cool place to choke down a burger and a shake:thumbsup:

xtremelky
07-10-2011, 08:08 PM

• It was 48 degree day

So we went 11.8 at 127 on a 48 degree day on a regular road with a guy who has never driven my car before.....

Stielow

I would be more interested in knowing what kind of lap times it can put in at VIR with you behind the wheel. I have a good idea but the proof is in the pudding. Glad to see you and your car in CandD though Mark. I will run out out grab a copy.
Mike Holleman

rwhite692
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Congrats Mark. I'm surprised they wouldn't let you drive it.

Flash68
07-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Congrats Mark. I'm surprised they wouldn't let you drive it.

But don't they try to have their same in house editors/drivers drive all of these cars so their database can be for "comparison"? That's how I read into it...

fleetus macmullitz
07-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Congrats Mark. :thumbsup:

Just re-read the article. I thought Don did a good job of educating an audience of whom many may not have had an accurate idea of what a real PT build is all about.

After reading about your car Mark, I wouildn't be surprised if number of those same readers plan to get their feet wet. :)