PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good all around air compressor

orangevert
06-24-2011, 11:36 AM
What is a good all around air compressor that can run tools and paint, I have 220 in 2 different area of my garage.

johnnymac46
06-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Heres some stuff that may help out.

Thread is off topic but it it gets to air compressors in page 2 and 3
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27432&page=2

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27843

elitecustombody
06-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Eaton is the best value.Get 6.5hp or better. Want to spend a bit more?Buy Quincy,Saylor Beall or Champion,just make sure the electric motor runs under 1800 RPM's and pump under 900. Or if you want to spend quite a bit more, look into rotary screw compressor.

wmhjr
06-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Also, look around to see if you can find any used. I had a compressor for years that was "OK", but not really enough for my purposes. I looked for a while and found a commercial grade used 80cu/ft 7.5hp upright that's built like a mack truck, does 34cfm at 125psi, runs slow and cool, for less than the price of a new consumer grade unit with less than half the performance. You have to be careful to make sure you're not getting a worn out, non-maintained junker. Make sure it's hooked up and you can run it before you buy it, but you can sometimes find deals out there. My old compressor got moved to a barn/storage building I've got which also has 220. Now it's a great utility compressor and my main unit is just what I need for more frequent use.

rwhite692
06-28-2011, 10:26 PM
In my case, the best all-around compressor is the one I built myself:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42474

orangevert
07-14-2011, 08:39 PM
In my case, the best all-around compressor is the one I built myself:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42474

Very nice compressor

Thanks guys..
Kirk

dave96dcm
07-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Like mentioned above, good comPressors are at 1750rpm, get at least 15cfm at 90psi, so it will have a chance to catch up and stop even if you are sandblasting etc. I have a ingersol rand (sp?) and I love it, I got it through Grainger.com.

Fluid Power
07-15-2011, 12:06 PM
we sell Atlas Copco's. With that being said, get a 3 phase motor and buy bigger than you think you need. 7.5hp and 80 gallon vertical's are nice and will run forever! **EDIT** 3 phase power is difficult to find in residential applications. If you find a compressor, take into consideration the cost of a converter if 3 phase power is not available at the compressor location.

Darren

Sandbagger
02-20-2012, 08:12 PM
we sell Atlas Copco's. With that being said, get a 3 phase motor and buy bigger than you think you need. 7.5hp and 80 gallon vertical's are nice and will run forever!

Darren

Whats the differance between a single phase and a 3 phase .
I found a deal on a IR 7.5 HP but its wired for 230/460V 3 Phase motor (wired for 230V
Appreciate any help ..
Is this too much RPM ?

Fluid Power
02-21-2012, 05:42 AM
3 phase motors are more efficient, they have a more simple design, they last longer and can produce more torque and HP than the comparable single phase motor. With that being said, most homes do not have 3 phase power. Than can be used, but a phase converter must be purchased in order to do so. A phase converter needs to be sized the HP rating of the motor. For the motor on that compressor, you would need a phase converter that would handle the 7.5hp. As far as RPMS go, that is not an issue. If you shop around, a converter for that size motor can be bought for under $250. Just factor that in to the 'deal' when shopping for a compressor. I will edit my post above to make a note about 3 phase power requirements for residential use.

Darren

GregWeld
02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
The sad part about 3 phase is -- it's actually there in the street -- but the power companies won't let you have it at a residence.

Phase convertors are "okay" but I wouldn't run one just to have a compressor that was 3 phase. If you're going to buy other machinery that uses 3 phase - then it's a consideration - since you could buy one convertor and run different stuff with it (if sized properly) but just to run an air compressor... I personally wouldn't bother with that.

Make sure you get at LEAST a 5 hp compressor --- and what's really the most important about a compressor is the VOLUME of AIR (CFM'S) that it will make at "X" PSI.... If you're going to run air tools --- some die grinders etc can use up enormous amounts of air in a big hurry. You don't want your compressor to not be able to keep up with them. That sucks and should only happen or be allowed to happen if you're on a really tight budget and just can't possibly spring for the proper version.

The other HUGE air user -- a blast cabinet! So think about what you're planning to do in the future -- and size the compressor accordingly.

Here's something many folks don't know!

If you plan on using an air tool on a continuous basis, it is a good idea to multiply the “Average CFM” x 4 to get a continuous CFM rating for the tool.

Most tools use about 90 psi... so you need a CFM # out of your compressor @ 90 psi for it to "keep up".

Figure a die grinder to use 4 to 6 CFM - so X's 4 = 16 to 20 CFM @ 90psi

Sandbagger
02-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I agree Mr. Weld . Thanks to the replys ...Converter is 600 .00 and something else to break .
I have been getting by with a 5hp single stage . Its 20 years old and it was a cheap one then . How I did complete paint jobs with it is a miracle . Tired of fighting it .
Anything 3phase is out , residents .
got my eye on a North Star , or a Puma 3 cylinder . See what the tool guy can do tomorrow ..
Has to be American made , min 5 hp ,with an after cooler

radrambler
02-22-2012, 11:35 AM
I priced compressors
then found a local company who built mine new

4 CYLINDER PUMP,,,, its looks likea have a motorcycle engine on top..lol
7.5 SINGLE PHASE BALDOR MOTOR, pulley sized to slow it down
80 GALLON UPRIGHT TANK
hour meter.. unloader switch.. MAKE SURE YOU GET AN UNLOADER SWITCH. it saves the electric motor.
pumps in the high 30S CFM and will push my sandy jet pressure pot blaster no problem. Guy told me would never need to upgrade and its true.
25OO DOLLARS IS ALL I SPENT. So look and see if you have a local compressor company thats been in business for a long time and you will probably spend less than any advertised at the hardware/tool companies.. this same thing usually runs 3500 plus from major "brand" tool retailers

Tom