PDA

View Full Version : 64 dart convertible project

Dodgenut64
01-29-2006, 01:14 AM
sorry posted this on the projects update forum first.

wow, ive seen alot of great cars here. my project probably will never grace the cover of a magazine, but ill love her just the same. well i have a 64 dodge dart convertible that i want to bring back to life. im in no huge rush, so i have plenty of time to decide what i want for the car. i kinda fell in love with the copperhead concept car dodge had a few years back. i could ve never afforded one to begin with and worse yet they never even put it into production (probably would have taken some sales away from the viper). anyway last year (2005) i got to looking at old convertibles and found i really liked the 64 dodge dart as a convertible. unlike the boxier 67-76 models, this year dart has more of a rounded fender and hood look. they kinda resemble early european cars. anyway i thought wow, wouldnt it be great to take one of these early darts, update it with modern suspension, and give it a new fuel injected 5.7 or 6.1 hemi for power.
my car, even as a convertible only wieghs around 3000lbs (which is about the weight of 60s corvetts, according to old motor trend magazine articals), so she isnt a big car. i also discovered someone makes a whole frontend unit with racknpinion and all for my year car.
well i found someone selling what i was looking for, had him ship it down and now she sits in my garage. the floors,frame and trunk are good, no rust (this car is said to be a california car, but i cant say for sure). her body does need some work despite the lack of rust.
anyways, im starting with the rearend first then front suspension. i can only throw so much money at this project right now, but as time rolls on ill have more funds available. ive started to take my car apart. the previous ouner had already started this. so as she sits, shes primer grey with an orange egine bay and light green as her orginal color.
when im done i want my car to corner like a vett (albeit a 60s vett. ha ha) and be a reliable cross country cruiser with respectable 1/4 mile times (13s-high 12s). doable of course, but itll take time and money.
i feel abit outclassed without having a cuda, challenger, camero, or mustnag in the stable, but i really love the idea of being abit different.
well i hope to leanr alot here without getting in the way, glad to be aboard

HWY Nova
01-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Welcome!

Dodgenut64
01-29-2006, 01:17 AM
heres a pick of my project in the new garage. please keep the snikkers and giggles down to a low volume, my car is very sensitive. :)

ProTouring442
01-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Snickers?? I like it! I think it will be a very nice ride once you finish. As for the time, mine has been in and out of the garage for over 10years. Might even be done this year! Good luck on your project... you'll get it done!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

Dodgenut64
01-29-2006, 09:44 AM
thanks guys for the nice welcome and comments about my dart. keep us updated on your projects as well. this site is very helpful. heres some more pics of my ride....ahh roller. ;)

promax/vennom#16
01-31-2006, 09:18 AM
WWWWEEELLLCOOOMMMEEE!!! I like the old mopars!I'm sure when the car is finished it will be one sweet ride. The last car I had built was a 62 ford fairlane and the nice thing about the car was when i took it to a car show or at a cruise, I knew that I would not see another one there. So unique can be a good thing!! Best of luck. :drive:
Dave