PDA

View Full Version : Roadster Shop Fast Track IRS

Roadster Shop
05-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Introducing the all new Roadster Shop Fast Track Independent Rear Suspension.

The first performance based IRS designed specifically for pro-touring and performance muscle cars.

Currently available in all Roadster Shop Chassis, universal back half kit, and weld in crossmember assembly.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/RearIRS.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/irs2.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/Picture18230.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/Picture18254.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/Picture18263.jpg

Fluid Power
05-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Man that is sexy!

Darren

GoolsbyCustoms
05-07-2011, 11:04 AM
wow that is truly amazing and looks incredible ....I guess we will have to have one of those next...

Ricochet
05-07-2011, 12:07 PM
As always from you guys - looks killer! :thumbsup:

Rybar
05-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Thats awesome. Well done! :thumbsup:

FlameBroiled
05-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Beautiful

Bryce
05-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Very nice looking stuff. IS that a 9" ford center section?

Ron in SoCal
05-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Man that is slick! Any info on hp ratings?

67ragtp
05-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Most impressive! Have you guys done some testing, Test car? WOW! Beautiful work, I got to have one for my 65 gto project.

Rich

Roadster Shop
05-07-2011, 04:48 PM
wow that is truly amazing and looks incredible ....I guess we will have to have one of those next...
Its not too late to put one under that Mustang!:lol:

Very nice looking stuff. IS that a 9" ford center section?

Yes, it is an aluminum 9" Ford center, C6 Vette Spindles, fabricated control arms.

Man that is slick! Any info on hp ratings?
We are going to offer 3 configurations based on the axles and CV rating. 600 HP, 1,000 HP, and 1,400 HP. Ford 9" center sections can be built accordingly. The stub axles are 31 spline or 35 spline. There are not a lot of options currently for the 35 spline in a street application, but several companies are developing a tru-trac type posi for a 35 spline axle that should be out by the end of summer.

Most impressive! Have you guys done some testing, Test car? WOW! Beautiful work, I got to have one for my 65 gto project.

Rich
We have not done any real world testing just yet, but have spent a solid 6 months of time on the computer going through suspension analyzing software. Two of the first production units are currently going under test cars that will be on the road very shortly. We are installing a chassis under a 66 Chevelle for a customer, and building a test car for ourselves. We currently have the IRS in both 64-67 and 68-72 Chevelle (and GTO) chassis as well as 1st and 2nd gen Camaro Chassis, and Challenger/Cuda Chassis. Mustang chassis are next on our drawing board to incorporate the IRS into.

coolwelder62
05-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Man that is sexy!

DarrenX2:thumbsup:

3_z28camaro
05-07-2011, 11:34 PM
A second gen Camaro application would be pretty cool.

tones2SS
05-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Wow. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I need to hit the lottery. Nice looking chassis. Great job.:thumbsup:

67ragtp
05-08-2011, 07:41 PM
What are thoughts on exhaust/tail pipe routing? Dumps? Is there enough room under the center section?

Thanks Rich

Roadster Shop
05-08-2011, 08:08 PM
What are thoughts on exhaust/tail pipe routing? Dumps? Is there enough room under the center section?

Thanks Rich

Rich,
The crossmember has two recesses in it to allow for 3" exhaust to pass above the axle. There are holes there for an exhaust mount that we are going to offer as an option. We are going to be starting on the exhaust for chris's 66 chevelle in the project section. I'll get a few pics posted as we get there.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/RearIRS.jpg

Autokraft
05-08-2011, 09:16 PM
What is the track width on the rear? Looks awesome:thumbsup:

96z28ss
05-09-2011, 02:46 AM
This is a really cool way to get IRS in side a muscle car.
Tim Bruning has done a similar set up before at SAR. SAR used more GM Facotry components. There hasn't been any true hard testing of the system. Show car type stuff.
Lets get some real world testing!!

http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/_images/webimages/_project/DSCN4753-750.jpg
http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/_images/webimages/_project/NEWMAD_010_750.jpg

no bags
05-09-2011, 08:56 PM
..............................too nice to put a body on that work of art!

Roadster Shop
05-09-2011, 10:00 PM
What is the track width on the rear? Looks awesome:thumbsup:

Thanks, the track width is 58.75" which will end up at 59" with brakes. We had a lot of discussion about track widths and possibly going narrower to get a deeper lip on the rear wheels, but decided on maintaining the optimal geometry and performance rather than sacrifice that for looks of the rear wheel. We designed it to be considerably narrower than a stock C6 Vette IRS. Depending on the car, you should be in the 6" - 9" back space range on a 12" wheel.

Roadster Shop
05-09-2011, 10:16 PM
This is a really cool way to get IRS in side a muscle car.
Tim Bruning has done a similar set up before at SAR. SAR used more GM Facotry components. There hasn't been any true hard testing of the system. Show car type stuff.
Lets get some real world testing!!

We are working to have Chris's 66 out for the Motor State Event with the IRS and we will have a 2nd gen of our own shortly behind that.

SAR definitely does some top notch stuff. We looked at the stock C6 components and saw a lot of room for improvement. By building our own conrtol arms and cradle system we were to make several improvements over a stock C6 IRS.

We have increased camber gains in roll compared to stock C6. There is 1 degree of negative camber gain through 1" of compression. This makes sure your tires never gain positive camber (like a stock C6) during cornering, losing traction/grip.

We were able to closely match camber gains to that of our front suspension which will yield a much more balanced and predictable car

Upper and lower control arm mounting points are pitched to give your vehicle 55% anti-squat, NO OTHER IRS OFFERS THIS, (Anti-squat will make your tires plant harder to the ground to help with acceleration and traction out of corners and from a launch)

We were also able to stand up the coilovers drastically over what is possible on a stock C6 arm giving more desirable a motion ratio.

Our upper control arms are also easily adjustable so caster/camber can be adjusted with shims while at the track.

Roadster Shop
05-09-2011, 10:17 PM
..............................too nice to put a body on that work of art!

Thanks... we were debating running just a roll cage and a seat (no body) for a demo car. :lol:

olds87
05-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Have any one came to you for making a chassis for a g-body car?

Roadster Shop
05-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Have any one came to you for making a chassis for a g-body car?

We have had several people ask about a G body chassis, but haven't had anyone seriously step up to the plate yet. If you are interested, we can build you one as a custom chassis.

DemonSRT8
05-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Can you describe the details on the Mopar E body chassis please?

Is the design like the Schwartz chassis where the body sits on the frame with minor cutting of the unibody?

Photos would be nice! :hail:

Beautiful pieces.

thanks
Darren

olds87
05-10-2011, 09:17 PM
We have had several people ask about a G body chassis, but haven't had anyone seriously step up to the plate yet. If you are interested, we can build you one as a custom chassis.

If I had the money, I will be all over it.

Van B
05-10-2011, 11:02 PM
You need a 1st gen Camaro for a guinea pig? Maybe we can work something out :unibrow: After all, I am only about 45 minutes up the road...

Roadster Shop
05-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Can you describe the details on the Mopar E body chassis please?

Is the design like the Schwartz chassis where the body sits on the frame with minor cutting of the unibody?

Photos would be nice! :hail:

Beautiful pieces.

thanks
Darren

Thanks. We are just finishing 2 chassis for 70 Challengers right now. I will start a new thread on them next week when they are completed. It is a true full chassis design, unlike others that you have mentioned. We did not see that you could gain any additional strength going that route. It also leaves the car sitting rather high for our liking. Our chassis will require cutting the passenger floor out of the car, but we have deigned an angled inside frame rail and dropped center crossmember that allows you to build a drop floor in the car since these are tight on head room.

Roadster Shop
05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
You need a 1st gen Camaro for a guinea pig? Maybe we can work something out :unibrow: After all, I am only about 45 minutes up the road...

Van, tempting.... but we are gonna have to pass.:_paranoid We currently have a 69 in the shop tht we are starting a full build for a local customer using this set up, and we will be building a 70 very shortly.

eliterides
05-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Great looking setup, any pricing worked out yet.
I'de like to run the IRS in one of your Fast Track frames to suit Gen 1 68 Camaro.

Any ideas on how much metal work will need to be done in the rear seat and trunk area.

Great work as always.

John:thumbsup:

Roadster Shop
05-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks John!

On the Chevelle, all that was needed was to extend the section of the floor above the rear end back a few inches before dropping off to form the trunk well. It appears that a Camaro will need the same modification.

This was a pretty simple sheet metal filler piece we made. The additional room is actually only needed for frame rail clearance.
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/Picture18421.jpg

Jr
06-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Van, tempting.... but we are gonna have to pass.:_paranoid We currently have a 69 in the shop tht we are starting a full build for a local customer using this set up, and we will be building a 70 very shortly.

I didn't understand...is the 69 getting a full chassis under it, or is the Camaro getting just the IRS in the back?

Do you plan on building a rear kit for the first gen?

David

nacnac
06-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Very very nice. How much?

bdahlg68
06-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Any pics of the 69 install? Is it getting the full frame of just the IRS?

Ovidiu
08-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Any pictures or info on a 2nd gen camaro install? also can you PM me a ballpark price for the system?

senor_Camaro
09-07-2011, 04:06 PM
how is the adjustability on the camber/caster on the rear? awesome design, its about time these muscle cars get away from that solid rear end BS

Roadster Shop
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Sorry to everyone for the delays in responding. We will be updating our vendor specific section this week and next week to showcase all of our products including pricing. Our web site is just finally getting updated and are just waiting on a few final components to go live. The site has really been completely re-designed with a lot more pictures and information on our chassis as well as updated builds going on in the shop.

Any pics of the 69 install? Is it getting the full frame of just the IRS?
We will be starting a build thread shortly on the 69. it is a pretty unique build and is getting a lot more than our standard chassis.

Any pictures or info on a 2nd gen camaro install? also can you PM me a ballpark price for the system?
We are just starting the chassis build on the 2nd gen after a breif pause to wrap up a few other items in the shop. We should be back on that shortly and will post pics for that too.

how is the adjustability on the camber/caster on the rear? awesome design, its about time these muscle cars get away from that solid rear end BS
The caster/camber is completely adjustable through shims where the control arm bolts to the crossmember.

Roadster Shop
02-04-2012, 10:38 AM
The Fast Track IRS is now available on our popular 1955-57 Chevy chassis!

Stay Tuned for more fully independent Fast Track chassis in the upcoming weeks. First and Second Gen Camaros are completed along with C1 Corvettes!

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/cutout1.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Picture221266.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Picture221257.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Picture221259.jpg

syborg tt
02-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Simply Awesome !!!

GregWeld
02-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah but would it fit the Nomad body -- which is slightly different than all the others?

Awesomeness by the way!

Roadster Shop
02-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks Marty!

Greg, it will fit the Nomad as well. The only issue is that you must remove the spare tire well and you can not use the stock nomad gas tank, which is generally thrown out anyways. We have a stainless tank that fits between the rails and can still use the stock filler location. The spare tire well is only big enough to carry spare brake rotors anyways and is generally replaced with a smooth floor. The nomad also has an additional body mount or two (Don't remember exactly off hand) that we have located in our jigs for when we build a Nomad chassis.

I know a certain turquoise and ivory nomad that could use one of these!:unibrow:

syborg tt
02-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks Marty!

Greg, it will fit the Nomad as well. The only issue is that you must remove the spare tire well and you can not use the stock nomad gas tank, which is generally thrown out anyways. We have a stainless tank that fits between the rails and can still use the stock filler location. The spare tire well is only big enough to carry spare brake rotors anyways and is generally replaced with a smooth floor. The nomad also has an additional body mount or two (Don't remember exactly off hand) that we have located in our jigs for when we build a Nomad chassis.

I know a certain turquoise and ivory nomad that could use one of these!:unibrow:

Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It, Do it, Do It

Did I mention that you should Do It

GregWeld
02-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Marty -- I was 10 years ahead of the crowd and put a Jim Meyer Racing chassis under the poor old POS years ago...

It's a terrible chassis -- all heim joints... but at the time Art Morrison was not building chassis he was bending the rails for JMR...

I even had it air bagged - for about a 2 whole weeks.... before dumping that crap and going with coil overs. :willy:

66SuperSport
02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Greg

If you want to do your Nomad and yourself a favor, get one of these. You will not be disappointed. Our Chevelle rides incredible and handles awesome. Like driving a new CTS-V.

GregWeld
02-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Greg

If you want to do your Nomad and yourself a favor, get one of these. You will not be disappointed. Our Chevelle rides incredible and handles awesome. Like driving a new CTS-V.

Oh no doubt Chris - but I'm thinkin' the Nomad is about to get kicked down the hiway.... I've got too many cars going now... and she's the oldest. :thumbsup:

Roadster Shop
02-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Here is a little teaser shot of things to come. C1 Vette IRS chassis and 1st and 2nd Gen Camaro IRS chassis. Waiting on parts from the machine shop to fab the control arms and then completed pics will be posted.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/1966%20Suburban/Picture221895-1.jpg

camcojb
02-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Here is a little teaser shot of things to come. C1 Vette IRS chassis and 1st and 2nd Gen Camaro IRS chassis. Waiting on parts from the machine shop to fab the control arms and then completed pics will be posted.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/1966%20Suburban/Picture221895-1.jpg

excellent work! :hail:

coolwelder62
02-18-2012, 09:29 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Track Junky
02-18-2012, 10:53 AM
You guys are out of control!! Awesomeness!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

manny z
05-18-2012, 09:30 PM
If I were ever to back half my car, it would be for this..

esenior
11-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Rich,
The crossmember has two recesses in it to allow for 3" exhaust to pass above the axle. There are holes there for an exhaust mount that we are going to offer as an option. We are going to be starting on the exhaust for chris's 66 chevelle in the project section. I'll get a few pics posted as we get there.

Sorry to revive an old post, but am very interested in going with the Fast Track w/IRS for a 68 Camaro convertible build.

I wanted to know more about the exhaust. I saw in some pics how the exhaust runs through the top of the IRS, but how do you run it behind the axle? The website mentions that a stock tank fits, but in some of the pictures in the build thread (http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showpost.php4?p=436026&postcount=103), it looks like you have to run a custom tank. Can you let me know what the options are? Thanks!

Roadster Shop
11-17-2012, 05:32 PM
The build thread that you referenced is not a great example to look at in regards to your questions. That car had a complete custom chassis built for it with a lot of unique components and ideas.

When running the IRS on a 1st gen camaro, you can no longer run the stock tank. (you can run the stock tank with the solid axle 9" rear suspension) A custom tank would have to be built. Rick's Tanks or Rock Valley can both provide you with that end of the build for $1,000 - $1,500 depending on your motor's fuel pump requirements.

Here are a few good shots of the exhaust and fuel tank on a 66 Chevelle with the IRS. It is a different car, but similar idea on the tank and exhaust. The customer wanted the exhaust run on the outside of the frame rails on this car. You could also run the exhaust inside the frame rails and make a narrower tank.
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/Picture19223.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/Picture19247.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/Chris%2066%20Chevelle/Chevelle_upsidedown_0014.jpg

esenior
11-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the update...glad to hear a tank is readily available (was planning on going with a Rick's tank already).

Still looking at all of my options...don't plan to start the project until next summer (car just arrived yesterday). Already have the wife on board with the LSA/4L85E. Hoping I can convince her that the full chassis with IRS is the way to go :D

P.S. Love your last picture!

Here's our next project....
http://www.the-seniors.net/img/forum/68CAMARO_121118_08M.JPG

66SuperSport
11-19-2012, 09:45 PM
That last picture is one of my favorites too. Go for the IRS. You won't regret it. Awesome ride combined with phenomenal handling.

Roadster Shop
01-30-2013, 09:38 AM
It has been a while since we updated this thread. We have been addind the Fast Track IRS to just about every chassis in our line up as well as going quite a few custom 1-off builds as well. Below are some pictures of the Fast Track IRS installed in various production chassis.

1967-69 Camaro Fast Track IRS
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/RoadsterShop67-69CamaroIRS1_zps67aac5a1.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/RoadsterShop67-69CamaroIRS2_zps857053c8.jpg

1964-72 Chevelle Fast Track IRS (picture shown is a 1964-67)
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/quarter2_zpsf289b97d.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/irs2_zpsbe063e68.jpg

1955-57 Chevy Fast Track IRS
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/Picture221240_zpsfdd01a16.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/cut3_zps3a8b4096.jpg

1958-64 Chevy Impala/Biscayne Fast Track IRS
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/1_zps50effdfa.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/2_zps0f61dc8b.jpg

Roadster Shop
01-30-2013, 09:39 AM
1967-72 C10 Pick Up Fast Track IRS
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/1_zpsae252e15.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/3option_zps2c3fddc6.jpg

1953-62 C1 Corvette Fast Track IRS
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/1_zps46f70813.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/vette4_zps1b44ad4f.jpg

1963-67 C2 Corvette Fast Track IRS
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/1_zps2febcf25.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/2_zps728bb2fa.jpg

1970-74 Challenger/Cuda Fast Track IRS
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/cutout1_zps4e19af9e.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/cutout4_zpsa2de7a2f.jpg

syborg tt
01-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Count Kenny & I in for this one please.

1970-74 Challenger/Cuda Fast Track IRS
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/cutout1_zps4e19af9e.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/RS-Perf/IRS%20Chassis/cutout4_zpsa2de7a2f.jpg

Rodknock
03-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Dayum I hate not having money for this stuff :bang: :(