PDA

View Full Version : Mig vs. Tig

23corner_blitz
04-27-2011, 10:37 PM
For the home hobbyist, what would be the difference/benefit of stepping up from a mig to a tig. Is it worth the extra cost?

Have used stick, oxy, and mig welder - never tig.

Thanks.

ironworks
04-28-2011, 08:49 AM
For the home hobbyist, what would be the difference/benefit of stepping up from a mig to a tig. Is it worth the extra cost?

Have used stick, oxy, and mig welder - never tig.

Thanks.

Hobbyist or Professional, Once you learn how to use the TIG. Your MIG welder will never get used again. If you care about the best quality learn to TIG.

wiedemab
04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
I am what most would consider a home hobbyist. I still use the mig a fair amount, but whenever possible I grab the tig. Reasons for me to not use the tig are in some cases skill related. If I'm laying on my back or in an awkward position, I am simply not skilled enough at this point to effectively operate the tig.

My opinion is, that if you are only going to have one welder, buy a mig, but if you can afford to have both, get a tig too and you will find yourself gravitating toward using the tig more and more as you skills improve. At least that has been my experience.

BBC69Camaro
04-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I was thinking of buying a MiG machine, but learning TiG is on my todo list. For a home hobbist are the 120v portable Tig machines worth the investment? Like a Lincoln Invertec V205-T or a Miller Diversion 120 (or one of the dual 120/220 voltage models). Say compared to a Mig from the same vendor marketed at a home user.

Or do you really need one with 220v service to really get the full benefit of TiG?

I am wondering if it be worthwhile to hold off buying a MiG machine and save up for a TiG one while I learn TiG or whatnot.

Thanks in advance.

joel.e
04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
It seems you ultimately need both. I recently bought a small TIG so I'm still learning. From my learning thus far you can use the MIG on larger gaps, dirtier metal, one hand operation. TIG needs tight gaps, clean metal, two hands and a foot to operate (unless you are coordinated enough to use the thumb wheel).

But in the hands of a skilled operator, a TIG weld is a work of art.:cheers:

funcars
04-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Another nice thing about TIG (besides the better appearance) is the lack of sparks and spatter and vastly reduced smoke. It makes me feel more comfortable welding in the garage than MIG does - thinking about possibility of fires or sparks burning holes in shoes, etc.

If I'm welding something functional only like a trailer and it's outside MIG is faster.

Johnjan
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM
I have both and I use both. Sheetmetal, particularly floorboards and things that are hard to fit perfectly, I use MIG. Most things that are visible, or I can do on the bench, or aluminum obviously, I use TIG.

MIG is more forgiving, but really good MIG welds require just as much setup as TIG. By setup I mean fitment, cleanliness, and getting the right wirefeed and voltage.

GregWeld
04-30-2011, 03:03 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ very good advice right there.

I own both - use both... doesn't mean I'm any good at either...

They are different animals. So the answer "depends". :unibrow:

Depends on what you intend to do the most - and depends on the size of your wallet.

If you can only afford ONE - a better/bigger MIG would be my choice. It will weld everything we do in the hobby... INCLUDING aluminum (with a spool gun). I have stainless gas (tri mix) and Stainless wire... so it will weld the "stuff" we use in the hobby.

I will ALWAYS choose to TIG over MIG given the choice... it's just more fun - makes less cleanup (grinding/finishing)... controls the heat better... looks better unfinished... but I'd never give up my MIG machine. They're just two completely different animals the only thing they have in common is that they're both "welders".

Having said the above -- a good welder (meaning the operator) can make beauty with any machine / process. Like a golf shot. It ain't the club, it's the guy swinging it (I suck at this as well).

If you can Oxy weld - you'll pick up TIG in a heartbeat. Very very similar eye hand coordination. Pushing a puddle - dipping the fill rod... controlling the heat.