PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Panel Skin?

awr68
01-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Has anyone used a '67-'68 camaro quarter panel replacement skin (not the 80% quarter), or know if they curve around to the tail panel? I know they don't have the turndown for the rear window fuzzy, or extend into the trunk jamb area, but it would be nice if they did atleast curved to the tail panel.

Or, do you know if the 80% quarters/full quarters have deck lid fitment issues like they have been having with the '69's? Trying to figure out which way to go. Thanks!!

Autokraft
01-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Has anyone used a '67-'68 camaro quarter panel replacement skin (not the 80% quarter), or know if they curve around to the tail panel? I know they don't have the turndown for the rear window fuzzy, or extend into the trunk jamb area, but it would be nice if they did atleast curved to the tail panel.

Or, do you know if the 80% quarters/full quarters have deck lid fitment issues like they have been having with the '69's? Trying to figure out which way to go. Thanks!!

When we replace quarters on first gen Camaro's and use aftermarket skins, we usually get the skin replacements which are about 75.00 a piece. We then trim it down along the top body line to about 1/8 of an inch from the top, 1/8 in from the door jamb, and 1/8 from the rear body panel. Next lay the skin on the old quarter, drill 1/8 holes in about 4-5 different locations along your cut line spaced about 18in apart and use cleco's to hold it on. Next take a scribe and scribe a line along the new quarter all the way around the top and door area and rear body panel area. Take the new skin back off and cut the old skin off about 1/8 from the scribed line and then take a air grinder and carefully grind up to the scribe line. Then you can install the new quarter, tack it every half inch with a tig (not a mig). Basically what you are doing is butt welding it together. It is the cleanest way to do it, you get no warping and you cannot tell the quarter has been replaced from inside the trunk. There are more steps to this process but I can see this getting kinda long already so hopefully this helps. Aftermarket sheetmetal never seams to fit like it should and this process does not disturb any factory seams so it still looks original when completed.

Kurt

www.autokraft.org

almcbri
01-22-2006, 11:09 PM
They do curve around but not all the way to meet the tail panel. You will have to leave a small section of your old quarter -I left 1.5".

I have replaced 3 skins and would recommend 80% quarters and trim the area you don't need replaced. Never cut out or replace areas that don't need replacing!! Hope this helps

awr68
01-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the replys guys!

Andrew it looks like your's turned out great, how well did the repop tail panel fit? I have to do that too. Did you MIG or TIG yours?? Also, I'm courious to why you spliced your's on the top and not the upper side of the quarter panel...do you feel this is easier to hide? Or did you not have a choice?

As always, thanks guys!!

almcbri
01-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I used all goodmark stuff and it has all fit well, Including the tail panel. I used a mig welder for all my work.

I actually also use pop rivets on the top side of the quarter panel. I drill holes on the lip on the top of the quarter every 1-2"s and rivet through the new panel and old panel. After the quarter is 100% tacked, I weld in between the rivets and then drill out the rivets and weld shut. They recommend doing this on convertibles, but I like to do it on coupes too. It just helps reassure everything is going right. The main thing to remember is checking you fitment up front in the door edge. You will have to cut slits and splice the metal to get a correct fit, so don't hold anything back. Those panels have to be massaged in.

When I was reffering to splicing the piece off the old quarter: It is the area in the rear of the car where the seams runs up and down. The skins do not lap all the way over to touch the tail panel, so I had to leave a little of the old quarter on and slowly tack and cool.

Also, when I cut the old quarter out I left a 1" piece at the very top of the quarter still attatched. (For instance) If you look at the quarter from the top I left corner edge and 1" below that corner. (Meaning 1" Down from the top edge of the panel. Sorry if this is confusing, all try to find pics and upload them on my photobucket. If you want PM me and we can talk on the phone and I can explain it better. The quarters are really easy, the tail panel is easy. Just a little more time on the tail panel. Hope this helps

awr68
01-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks Andrew! I'll PM ya....