PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Table

Scraperton
04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
I am looking into purchasing a CNC plasma table. I already have the plasma torch and wanna go cnc. Does anyone know of an affordable but durable set up?

fletcherscustoms
04-21-2011, 07:29 AM
I just purchased a 5ft x 10ft CNC plasma table from Torchmate. Might be a little bigger then what you are looking for. I would look into the new Torchmate portable systems that can be added on to. You can start with a 2x2 or 2x4 machine and upgrade as you get larger all the way to a 4x8 machine in the future. I researched machines for over 4 months before buying mine. And Torchmate has the best customer service, easily the best software, and the table are really over built compared to others out ther. There are cheaper options but you get what you pay for

kennyd
04-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I am looking into purchasing a CNC plasma table. I already have the plasma torch and wanna go cnc. Does anyone know of an affordable but durable set up?

i have a 4x4 cnc plasma table , love it ! the cheaper is a company called torchmate . i did not get that one because ,i did not think the bearings on the table looked strong enough . i bought a table from precision cutting systems . i really like my table , quality is 100 % , the software is easy to learn and easy to work . when you buy either table make sure it has torch height control .

i do know fletcher bought a torchmate and loves his

ironworks
04-21-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm looking at a 5x10 torchmate set up. I might pull the trigger next week.

96z28ss
04-21-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm looking at a 5x10 torchmate set up. I might pull the trigger next week.

You won't like it after having stuff laser cut all the time.

I owned a cnc plasma table. Sold it last year. I have everything laser cut now. Call me and we'll talk.

fletcherscustoms
04-22-2011, 07:21 AM
I have to agree once using LASer cut parts there is a quality difference going to a plasma cut part. But the plasma sure is nice for that spur of the moment part you need. I'm doing a lot of commercial cutting for a big business also so I the machine was justifiable for me. I feel sure once I get a couple of prototypes of the parts I have designed off the machine, I will end have the final pieces cut at a local laser place

kennyd
04-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Shops with mutiple cars being built a plasma is great , because you dont have to wait on the laser guy for a week . I see alot of custom built frames that the brackets and tabs are plasma cut , not laser cut . I do agree that a laser is 100% nicer cut than a plasma .

ironworks
04-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I have one project we are getting ready to start that will pay for this machine by it self. I don't plan to use it for production, The laser guy will still handle that, But an in house plasma will be nice for knocking stuff out at a rapid pace. I'm just not sure what size to get. I got a quote on a 5x10 machine, But I'm thinking about floor space also.

fletcherscustoms
04-22-2011, 10:18 AM
I went 5x10 as I have the "plate marker" on my machine. For marking bend lines, parts numbers, blah, blah. When you add this you basically lose 6" of work space on that axis cause of how it mounts beside the plasma. So on a 4x8 machine you honestly only get 3'6" on the 4 foot axis. So I went 5x10 to have the ability to cut and mark a full 4x8 sheet. Not to much difference price wise between the two.

Biggest thing is "WATER TABLE". I've only been running for a bout 45 minutes and the smoke and dust is stupid crazy. I ordered material yesterday and will be picking up today, so that I can go ahead and build a 4" deep water tray under neath my machine

kennyd
04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
water table is a must have !

96z28ss
04-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I have one project we are getting ready to start that will pay for this machine by it self. I don't plan to use it for production, The laser guy will still handle that, But an in house plasma will be nice for knocking stuff out at a rapid pace. I'm just not sure what size to get. I got a quote on a 5x10 machine, But I'm thinking about floor space also.

if your not using it for production stuff and just to make tabs and little brackets. get the 5x5 table. it does take up shop space with the computer and the plasma cutter.

ironworks
04-22-2011, 03:25 PM
if your not using it for production stuff and just to make tabs and little brackets. get the 5x5 table. it does take up shop space with the computer and the plasma cutter.

But then you have to buy smaller sheets of steel. A 5x10 is the most economical piece of steel and a bigger table is like a 1000 bucks more.

96z28ss
04-22-2011, 06:53 PM
But then you have to buy smaller sheets of steel. A 5x10 is the most economical piece of steel and a bigger table is like a 1000 bucks more.

5x5 table but you can feed it a full sheet if you need to. You just hold the access with one of those stands with the roller on it. Thats what I did.
I was cutting 12ft sheets cause of the cost of sheet. When your not using it its nice for it to be as small as it needs to be.

GregWeld
04-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I've got the answer --- (gee -- anyone surprised by that?) --- Go big or go home -- step up and buy a 5X10 LASER table!

coolwelder62
04-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Rodger,Try a jig saw,cost a whole lot less,No smoke,No messy water table,No software to learn,Takes up no floor space,Replacement parts cheap,Low cost blades,cuts what ever line is on the plate,Uses very little power,I am buying 2 so I can have speed production of parts.:lol:

GregWeld
04-23-2011, 02:26 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ best solution yet! The old KISS principle! :thumbsup: :yes:

fletcherscustoms
04-25-2011, 07:20 AM
I walk in my shop everyday since I installed the machine and B%$ch about how big it is. ITs a 5x10 but takes up almost 7x14 , and when your working in a small 2000 sq ft shop that is valuable real estate. Basically I am now down to a 2 bay shop, which cuts a car out of my work load I was capable of. I'm building a addition on to the shop in the coming week. AS we have signed some new customer contracts and I need the bay back.

But besides that if I had to do it again I would do exactly like I did originally. I can get full sheets of plate so cheap through the boiler plant here, and drop the whole plate on there. No cutting down to size to fit the table. My only issue right now is once I get it to the shop, is man handling a 300lb sheet of metal out of the truck and 10 feet into the shop and on the table.

96z28ss
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I've got the answer --- (gee -- anyone surprised by that?) --- Go big or go home -- step up and buy a 5X10 LASER table!

well LASER would be the best. But a laser table is a 6 figure investment.

GregWeld
04-26-2011, 09:17 AM
well LASER would be the best. But a laser table is a 6 figure investment.

So? What's the problem? :rofl:

96z28ss
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
So? What's the problem? :rofl:

POLICE, FBI, Rodger robbed a bank!!! He's spending it like crazy!! catch him now!!! before he gets a 5 axis CNC milling machine!!

Streetwerkz
04-27-2011, 08:24 PM
We have a 5x10 foot table.
It really is the only way to go

fletcherscustoms
04-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Well my machine is finally running. Still tuning and doing a lot of setup to maximize the cutting and the finish. Overall very happy. Here are two generic DXF files I downloaded somewhere off the net late last night to do some test cutting of some more detailed pieces, than squares and circles I have been creating to test cut. Very happy with the outcome. All done at 45 amps, with standard comsumables.

http://www.fletcherscustoms.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_truckergirl.JPG
http://www.fletcherscustoms.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_deerprint.JPG

jst8a5.0
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I got a 4x4 torchmate 2 and i love it! I thought about a bigger table but it takes so much space and seriously, cutting a sheet in half is not too bad. It helps loading the piece in there since its smaller and half the weight and i dont always have help. So far so good.