PDA

View Full Version : New Gremlin Project

mike343sharpstk
04-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey all, just wanted to show you my next project. As you may know by my screen name that I have a “street” Javelin (1969) that I’ve been working on. As you can all appreciate, making a fun useful car is full of compromises. As I have two small kids, that means NO cage for the Javelin.
So, in order to have a car that I could drive HARD, I decided not to compromise; but with a different car. I have heard from a zillion people that the best way to start racing is to buy an old race car as a starting point.
So that’s just what I did.
A buddy and I took a cannon-ball run from Wisconsin to Virginia to pick this up last weekend.
Here it is in all of it’s AMC glory!:cool:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/343sharpstick/0415111531a.jpg
It’s has an IMSA RS and SCCA racing history and is mostly there. It will need a cage update which I plan to start this fall.
My wife is even on board with the project, her only stipulation was that it would be purple... Works for me!:P
Cheers!
Mike

whitey02
04-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Nice Gremlin. I've got a blue Gremlin X Levi edition that I'm building into a pro-touring car as well. Good luck! :thumbsup:

asifnyc
04-24-2011, 11:16 PM
awesome, can't wait to see what you do with it! :thumbsup:

mike343sharpstk
04-27-2011, 09:12 AM
awesome, can't wait to see what you do with it! :thumbsup:

Watching your build closely for ideas.;)
I am now researching what needs to be done for the two sanctioning bodies I'll be working with. SCCA solo and VSCDA.
For VSCDA I should fit into group 8.
If I build a cage that is legal for SCCA it should be more than adequate for any vintage events.

VSCDA runs all the Mid-West vintage events. No NASA or SVRA stuff near by, so I'll need to follow those rules.

bulletpruf
10-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Love the Gremmie! I know Adam T; was mad at him for selling the car w/o telling me...

Any updates?

Scott

chaz75
10-13-2011, 06:04 PM
way cool, will be following along as you progress.

mike343sharpstk
10-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Nothing to report at the moment, in storage at a budy's body shop.
I am clearing out a spot in my already full garage now, finishing up some motorcycle stuff, easier to move when they are in one piece:lol:
The plan is to get the it home before the snow flies.

I'll be working with Don Schmitz in Kenosha on the project to some degree, he owns one of the THB Gremlins and knows some great AMC folks that worked on these back when they were new.

Don't want to get moving on it before I can devote some serious time to it.:thumbsup:

bulletpruf
07-04-2015, 12:42 AM
Nothing to report at the moment, in storage at a budy's body shop.
I am clearing out a spot in my already full garage now, finishing up some motorcycle stuff, easier to move when they are in one piece:lol:
The plan is to get the it home before the snow flies.

I'll be working with Don Schmitz in Kenosha on the project to some degree, he owns one of the THB Gremlins and knows some great AMC folks that worked on these back when they were new.

Don't want to get moving on it before I can devote some serious time to it.:thumbsup:

Bumping an OLD thread - any updates on the Gremmie????