PDA

View Full Version : Att:Shay Cambell

Yenko boy
01-23-2005, 09:35 PM
I'am very interested in the th400-gearvendors transmisson combo and just want to learn a little bit more about it before I make any purchases. I understand that the GV unit splits the trans gears in half so instead of having a 3 speed from the th400 I would have 6speed. How does that work at the track would you use the primary gears or would you use the 1-2-3 od/ud gears between the regular shifts also. Does it make the car any faster more efficient ET wise? And I also heard that the gear vendors unit and th400 combined weigh around 300 pounds? Sry for all the questions. And thx for any comments.

Anthony

shayc5
01-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Hello Anthony, I did not have my G/V wired when I went to the track I just used the primary gears. I would have helped to split between 2nd and 3rd before I crossed the line. So I do think there would be a little better ET with that split. How much power are you expecting to have? Shay

Yenko boy
01-24-2005, 06:15 PM
The 427BB should be makin right aroung 600hp. Also what type of shifter do u use and how do u shift in between each primary gear?

shayc5
01-25-2005, 11:51 AM
I use a B&M Quicksilver. G/V will send a B&M T-handle with a button that you use to change in between primarys.

Ummgawa
01-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Its a shame the Shrifter couldn't be set up to accomidate the GV unit. Gears on the right Hi/low on the left. I guess you'd have to have a unit (IE a electronic plunger of sorts) to shift at the trans manually ,etc. Any thoughts on that?

Steve1968LS2
04-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Its a shame the Shrifter couldn't be set up to accomidate the GV unit. Gears on the right Hi/low on the left. I guess you'd have to have a unit (IE a electronic plunger of sorts) to shift at the trans manually ,etc. Any thoughts on that?

I wonder if the shrifter could just handle the GV shifts that are now done by the button.. I think it is just a simple 12v signal..

I have a lot of intrest in this now since my 68 has a TH400 and gearvendors unit installed :)

tndude
04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
:goofy:

Steve Chryssos
04-21-2005, 02:19 PM

Yup. It's just 12 volts. I don't see any reason why you can't wire up a Shrifter instead of the button on the side of the T handle. One is just a fancy looking version of the other. But remember, you will still have to reach down and mechanically move the floor shifter for the old-school TH400. You have to picture yourself going back and forth from paddle shifter to floor shifter. And even if your car is slow, you will probably hve some gears left over at the end of the quarter. And we haven't even begun to discuss the limitations of downshifting with a TH400/GV while trying to negotiate a corner.
I believe Jim (who just bought Shay's car) will be selling his TH400/GV to install a 4L80 so that he can take advantage of full electronic shifting (up and downshifting) The GV unit is not the problem. The problem is the slow hydro-mechanical slushbox TH400. A TH400 uses fluid flow logic designed 50-plus years ago (valve body). A 4L80 uses digital logic. That's the difference.

If you guys want to try it, I'll be happy to help in any way possible. Other than being able to claim six gears, I see no reason for a TH400/GV in a Pro-Touring car.

Steve1968LS2
04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Yup. It's just 12 volts. I don't see any reason why you can't wire up a Shrifter instead of the button on the side of the T handle. One is just a fancy looking version of the other. But remember, you will still have to reach down and mechanically move the floor shifter for the old-school TH400. You have to picture yourself going back and forth from paddle shifter to floor shifter. And even if your car is slow, you will probably hve some gears left over at the end of the quarter. And we haven't even begun to discuss the limitations of downshifting with a TH400/GV while trying to negotiate a corner.
I believe Jim (who just bought Shay's car) will be selling his TH400/GV to install a 4L80 so that he can take advantage of full electronic shifting (up and downshifting) The GV unit is not the problem. The problem is the slow hydro-mechanical slushbox TH400. A TH400 uses fluid flow logic designed 50-plus years ago (valve body). A 4L80 uses digital logic. That's the difference.

If you guys want to try it, I'll be happy to help in any way possible. Other than being able to claim six gears, I see no reason for a TH400/GV in a Pro-Touring car.

Remember that you could hook a gearvendors unit to a 4l60e transmission.. 8 speeds would give you a better range of gears.. ;)

Steve Chryssos
04-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Like I said. Bragging rights for a high number of gears.

Go to the Gear Vendors website and look at the calculated gear ratios. The ratios are SO close that you most likely would not bother to use them. Maybe at Bonneville?? And great if you are driving a tractor-trailer. But otherwise, they'll probably just take up space and weight in your car. But what the hell, if someone wants to try it, I'll build a multi-function paddle shifter