PDA

View Full Version : Just the motivation needed!

Bishop_007
01-16-2006, 11:40 AM
MAN!, It didn't take long to decide to join! Building a hot rod is something that I've wanted to do since I was in grade school. But with family and various other obligations, that dream has had to be on the back burner for YEARS. (I'm 47 now)

After trying to decide which type of hot rod to build, I came across the pro-touring movement and I was hooked. I'm working with an '84 Monte Carlo LS.

Still undecided about the SS nose conversion, because I prefer the shorter nosed look of the LS. But this site has inspired me to keep moving forward with it.

Right now, I'm working out of my home garage, which is modestly equipped with the minimum tools. I've got the car torn down to the frame, built a body dolly, and the next step is get both the frame and body media blasted.

As with any project, the amount of mods are only limited to the amount of cash you have on hand to build it. So I've adopted the philosophy of "build the way you want it the first time." So I can see this project spanning over much time. I haven't seen very many Monties in the pro-touring scene YET, but with the aquisition cost of an '80s G-Body, I can see that this will probably become a trend/movement also. (Just trying to get ahead of the game)

So I'm looking forward to gleening as much information from everybody else's projects and expertise. BTW, Found out about the site via Popular Hotrodding.

Here's a link of what's happening so far. I had to put it to rest for the winter, but will get back after it come spring.

The Bishop Project (http://www.gloriouslight.org/special/BishopPH2/)

XcYZ
01-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the site. I've seen some cool Monte's done in the g-machine style. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

McssGmachine
01-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the site! Glad to see another g-body on here. I have a 87 Monte Carlo ss done G-Machine style, it has a lot of supension upgades done to it, So if you have any questions feel free to ask! :thumbsup:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/111monte/montecarlo021.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/111monte/49d8.jpg

Bishop_007
01-18-2006, 01:31 AM
YES! That's what I'm talking about! I LLLLike that!

Are you running discs in the back?
Did you go with tubular control arms, in either front or back?
Shocks or airbags?
Transmission?
Rear end gearing?
Exhaust header set up?

I plan to have an 8pt roll cage, 5pt harness, 20gal fuel cell, 383sb 450+HP, tubular control arms, drop spindles, possibly air bag it, fiberglass dash and console, fiberglass deck lid and hood, lexan windshield and rear window, vent the opera windows (replacing the glass) and run torque thrust II rims. I want to make it as light as possible and still be able to run it through the autocross.

I'm also looking at the Strange Engineering complete rear end package w/discs. So I've got a loooooong road ahead for sure.

McssGmachine
01-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the compliment! Now to answer your questions.

No rear disc yet, but getting the bear track system in a few months.
Yes,I have tubular UCA's from hotckis in the front and Currietrac in the rear
I use edelbrock IAS shocks, That work pretty good for what they are.
I use an automatic 2004r that built, but i want to get a manual.
The rear end is from a GN it has 3.73 gears in it.
The headers are hookers 1 5/8 with 3" exhaust all the why back.

Here let me give you some advice on your front supension setup. I have the b-body spindle swap and it handles great, but the system has alot of bumpsteer in it. I would go with the G5 setup from SC&C talk to marcus he's on this site great guy to talk to. if you have any more questions just ask . :thumbsup: