PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Brake lines PTFE (Crimp or None)

Sti_Guy
01-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Just wondering what opinions are out there for such a sensitive topic I'm sure as brake lines. All the liability in the world we live in has to play some part in your decision. Anyways needing to have some custom brake lines made for my car and went to a local hydraulic supply house that deal with high performance hose ends. The guy recommended i go with reusable steel hose ends made by Aeroquip for use with the PTFE lined hose. Now normally id went no way man i want the crimp on stuff but he went on to explain the 4000 PSI working and 12,000 PSI burst pressure and i started to listen and finally picked up all the parts to make my lines here at the house. So does anyone else dare run none crimped brake lines? Just curious:question:

FrankZ
02-01-2011, 12:26 AM
I've had good experience with hand (mine)built hoses. From a liability perspective the crimped ends take out a human variable. My .02

Bow Tie 67
02-01-2011, 06:54 AM
I would say they are fine in a static environment, but your front brakes will put loads on the fittings due to movement.

Anyone else?

Sti_Guy
02-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I will have enough slack in the line to keep the tension on the lines to a minimum. I think by being able to clock the ends exactly how i need it will put the line in a lot more of a relaxed state.

JRouche
02-02-2011, 11:51 PM
For critical items such as brake lines I like to take the advice of the manufacture. And I consider eaton/aeroquip as a quality manufacture.

And from their web site it says their teflon hose and reusable hose ends are good to go for brake lines. Sooo. I think you are good to go (or stop really).

They do spec 2000psi for 3/8" hose and fitting. It might have a lil higher PSI for the smaller line and fitting though.

But really, I was surprised to see they recommend the reusable hose ends for brake lines. I learned something. JR

From their web page......

Teflon Racing Hose
Superior fluid compatibility, abrasion and corrosion resistance for reliable service, extruded Teflon®* smooth bore inner tube, -100 to +450 F temperature rating. Approved with Eaton’s Aeroquip® reusable and crimp fittings. Excellent pressure rating (2,500 PSI in -06). Applications include off road brake, clutch, gauge, N2O, power steering, fuel, lube. *Teflon® is a registered trademark of DuPont™

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/AeroquipPerformanceProducts/HoseProducts/index.htm