PDA

View Full Version : Cut-off wheels and flap discs...

Ketzer
01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Seems like a staple around my home shop, cutoff wheels and flap discs. I've tried a few different brands and seems like the ones from my welder supply arent any better than the ones from the hardware store even though they claim to be "premium" and cost a little more.

My question is; whats everbody using, and have you found one brand to be better than any other?

I'd like to find a place to buy a bulk instead of onesie/twosie all the time (you know the feeling of going back to the drawer thinking you've five or six left and finding none...) but I dont want to invest in a case of cheap ones and burn through them all in one job.

Jeff-

Roberts68
01-26-2011, 05:04 PM
As for cutoff wheels I think the ones I used to get from the Mac man that were silkscreened Mac 20000rpm max were the best. Some el-cheapos with a reinforcing grommet were good too.

The worst may even be irregular thickness. How about a 20000rpm explosion of abrasive material at arms reach, no thanks!

You might try MSC direct and set up an account with them in 5 minutes. Tell their rep you do not want crappy ones. They've been really good to work with and usually give like 25% off initial orders regardless of the size of the order.

DRJDVM's '69
01-26-2011, 05:06 PM
I buy most of mine from Enco.... Decent prices, you can buy in bulk etc. They have multiple brands for alot of those items but I often just get the 3M discs etc. Never really compared different ones

GregWeld
01-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Jeff -- right now you're kind of like a turbo under boost... :rofl: :rofl:

I love that signature!

Seriously -- For discs - I've bought the bulk bags from the chinko tool booths at car shows... and they work just fine! They're cheap - and when they quit cutting - I toss it and grab another. I've also bought boxes of 3M... and I can't tell any difference whatsoever. I keep at least 3 different grits -- and 3 different grits of the pad type (can't think of their proper name right now)... for finish work. Again - cheap or brand name - I can't tell the difference.

ONE THING YOU NEVER WANT FOR METAL WORK -- ANYTHING WITH SILICONE.

For cut off wheels -- I use the welder shop good brand. I don't want cheap azz stuff flying apart and ruining my day.

Ketzer
01-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks everybody for the input!

I'll definately look at Enco and MSC for some bulk pricing.

Greg, I don't think very many get my sig... :rofl:
I've been using Flexovit Razorblade cut-off wheels mostly and they don't seem to do any better than the Dewalts or Nortons as far as lasting or not exploding. I'm glad to hear it's the same with flap discs.

Jeff-

68protouring454
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
for a 4.5 grinder, sait makes .045 cut off wheels that are killer, we run 5 inch ones.
mac also makes 3 inch roloc flap disks that rock as well.
for reg roloc i use carbo blaze (orange) 36/50 grit, about 35 bucks for a box of 25.
the roloc flap disks are the best thing ever

sait cut off wheels are best hands down.
msc has them
autobody supply houses should have the carborundum rolocs, btw i hate 3m stuff

Ketzer
01-27-2011, 08:37 AM
I"ve only used roloc flat grinding discs, 3M and they are 'spensive. But those little 3 inchers are perfect for tight spots. Seems like just about the time I get a fresh one on, I catch it on a corner or overlap and tear it ...:censored: feels like dropping a freshly opened beer :( .

I've also tried some of the 3M rolocs that look like a scotchbrite. I was dissapointed with them but probably because I was not using them correctly. Purpose was paint removal but they seem to clog and aren't agressive enough. the pad seems to eat away faster than the paint.

*I meant to ask if anyone has tried the bristle discs? They're pricey and look fragile?*

Thanks again, guys! Hopefully this info helps other home tinkerers.:thumbsup:

Jeff-

68protouring454
01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
get a new back up pad and it will help stop tearing disks, they wear out fairly quickly, you want them 2.75 to 2.875 diameter to not tear disks.
try the carbo 3 inch rolocs . napa also has 3 inch roloc flap disks that are decent

ironworks
01-27-2011, 02:23 PM
We just went thru a roloc disc shoot out (per say) a few weeks ago. I bought every kind I could and tried to keep track of how many we used and how long they lasted and the conclusion we came to was the orange Norton discs seem to be the winner. I beat on my Fastenal dealer after he said he would match anybodies price. Well I got him down to 26.18 per box of 25. That is a smokin deal. But I have to 500. You can imagine that is like a weeks supply around here.

I will look and see what cut off wheel the guys decided worked best. I know we go thru 3" wheels like nobodies business also.

Rodger

68protouring454
01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
yes, the new orange blaze discs, whether it be norton or carbo are hands down the best.
sait cut off wheels are the best period, both 3 inch .035 and 5 inch .045

ironworks
01-27-2011, 04:14 PM
We save every cut off wheel and roloc disc and keep track of them to charge them back to the customer. So I want to be sure with those the customer is getting their monies worth with those as well.

bigtime
01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I buy ours from McMaster carr. Have it the next day and you can get any quanities and sizes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Syclone892
01-29-2011, 11:29 PM
I have liked the 3m green corps cut off discs the best, they cost a ton but seem to last forever :)

My part time job buys the really cheap roloc discs and I literally went through 5 of them cleaning up some rims where you normally only use 1 for a set of rims, I was very surprised at how quickly they would just burn up. I only use 3m at my full time job and they seem to last quite a while.

I have been loving the flap discs also:yes:

Streetwerkz
02-04-2011, 10:50 AM
We have pretty good luck with Klingspor.com products
a little more cost retail (shops can get a 30% discount) but they last
I love the cut off wheels, they last, cut well & don't hang up or break.