PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade for stock?

TypeLT73
01-10-2011, 09:32 PM
I would love to put Baer or Wilwood brakes on my car. But I do not have the funds so I am looking for better stock calipers. I have a 1973 Camaro. 14 x 7 Craeger SS wheels. Is there a stock/GM caliper I can get that will bolt on without having to change my wheels. I am hoping there is a 2 piston caiiper out there that would be better than my stock ones.

lhkustoms
01-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Call Dave at Pro Touring F Body. He has several brake upgrade kits available.
847-594-9021

realcoray
01-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I would love to put Baer or Wilwood brakes on my car. But I do not have the funds so I am looking for better stock calipers. I have a 1973 Camaro. 14 x 7 Craeger SS wheels. Is there a stock/GM caliper I can get that will bolt on without having to change my wheels. I am hoping there is a 2 piston caiiper out there that would be better than my stock ones.

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?subname=GM%20D52%20Dual%20Piston

I believe Summit has a version along the same lines that is probably slightly cheaper. Note it does appear to indicate on summits site that the D52 wilwoods may not fit all stock wheels. You may also need to modify other components when doing a swap like this I'm not sure.

Hydratech®
01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
IF you have power steering, our second gen system # 3022 will allow you to retain everything exactly the way you currently have it set up, yet will absolutely knock your socks off with the increased overall braking performance:

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/GM_2ndgenF_Body.html

If you are currently running a factory style vacuum booster, you wouldn't even have to touch brake fluid to install the system - only a back to back brake booster swap out (disconnect the existing master cylinder from the vacuum booster, then move it forward and over just enough to swap the brake booster out while leaving the brake lines still connected to the MC). Once the replacement hydraulic brake assist unit is bolted to the firewall, then just remount the MC back onto the face of the replacement brake unit, plumb the lines into the PS system and you are good to go!

The gains in performance are stunning, and will not have to fuss with wondering if a different brake package will fit behind your existing wheels.

Apogee
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Better what? Better looking? Better performing?

If you're after looks, go for whatever floats your boat and fits your wheels. If you're looking for performance, the factory cast-iron calipers are going to be the most rigid, lowest cost option and are a guaranteed fit inside your wheels. You could go the hydroboost route per Paul's post above which will most definitely incrase your brake torque but won't do anything for your braking capacity.

Alternatively, you could make what you have work as well as it's supposed to, which for a standard street car rolling on 14's should be more than adequate. If you currently have manual brakes, adding vacuum assist might be an option if you have the vacuum to supply it. Another option would be to run better pads, either the D52's or the D614's with a larger friction area/volume. Without really knowing where you're starting and/or the reasons for wanting to change, I'm just throwing out ideas.

Tobin
KORE3