PDA

View Full Version : Floor Jacks

HEEP
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
This question is for all the garage owners that don't have a lift, but are getting their cars up on these wood stands to be able to work on them. What floor jack are you using? Most jacks only lift to about 20 inches and these seem to be higher than this. Just wondering as I get ready to start on my Chevelle.
Thanks,
HEEP

GregWeld
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Heep --

You do this the "old fashioned way" -- jack it up - put it on jack stands (6 ton rated not the cheapie 3 ton junk) --- lower your jack -- put it on some good very solid wide boards -- and jack it up some more - until you get it to the height you need/want.

REMEMBER -- floor jacks have wheels - they MOVE when raising the car.... so make certain you have ADEQUATE area under the jack.... both front and back and side to side!

That -- or you break down and buy a floor jack like I did a few years ago -- it goes to 32" but they ain't cheap!

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/P-610-norco-1-12-ton-capacity-high-lift-fastjack-71155b.aspx

HEEP
01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
GregWeld,
Thanks for the info. Makes since, but like you say the wheels allow the jack to move toward the lift. that was what concerned me most. I like the jack you gave the link to, I also found this one. What do you think? they look very similar, but the brands are different.

http://www.asedeals.com/Ranger_floor_jacks.html

Thanks,
HEEP

GregWeld
01-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Looks good to me!

You want 24" from floor to frame to be able to do any work. So the jack just has to go beyond that. Since you don't get under the car until you have a jack stand in place you're good to go!

The decent 6 tons stands from harbor freight will get you the height you need once you get it in the air. That, or get the wheels up on the block stands like you mentioned.

mike343sharpstk
01-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Looks good to me!

You want 24" from floor to frame to be able to do any work. So the jack just has to go beyond that. Since you don't get under the car until you have a jack stand in place you're good to go!

The decent 6 tons stands from harbor freight will get you the height you need once you get it in the air. That, or get the wheels up on the block stands like you mentioned.

Thanks, that's timely information. I'll be getting my car up in the air for a transmission swap in the next week or so, I was actually wondering how from the floor I need to get it.
My new 'nice' Norco floor jack will be here tomorow:woot: .
I've been using a tiny cheap jack forever.

GregWeld
01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
You'll love a jack that actually can not only lift something - but gets it in the air far enough that you can actually DO something once you're under there!

Good for you!

HEEP
03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Greg,
Just wanted to update and thank you for the reccomendation of the NORCO. Mine should be here this week.
HEEP

GregWeld
03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Awesome!!!

I hope you LOVE IT!!

mike343sharpstk
03-15-2011, 08:10 PM
I am loving my 'smaller' Norco 71202A, It's truly amazing how that one tool change can make such a big difference.:thumbsup:

wmhjr
03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
One thought guys. At the price of those jacks, you're 25% of the price of maxjax. They're not for everyone, but man do they make a difference! Just something to think about.

HEEP
03-16-2011, 01:22 PM
I understand that, but when the ceiling is only 9ft tall. I'm over 6ft. I'll be on my back or squatting regardless.:D

HEEP

wmhjr
03-16-2011, 05:30 PM
I understand that, but when the ceiling is only 9ft tall. I'm over 6ft. I'll be on my back or squatting regardless.:D

HEEP

Actually no, you won't. I'm over 6', and my garage ceiling is less than 9'. I can roll around sitting straight on a mechanics stool. I never use a creeper and never lay on my back.