PDA

View Full Version : metal brakes and other home made tools to save on the budget.

brans72
12-01-2010, 06:46 AM
I was wondering if you guys would share pictures,plans etc of metal brakes and other tools you have made to save on $ around the garage? We all can not afford the pro's tools so show me what you have made in the garage to help you out! Brandon

GregWeld
12-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Only thing I've ever made in my shed --- is a mess....

:willy: :willy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

brans72
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
oh we all know you got tools and toys since you posted pictures of your garage Greg!

brans72
12-01-2010, 04:13 PM
come on guy's all few and no ones made anything up to save a buck? I know I used a come along to a thick and well built metal table once to pull my car in garage cause no one was able to help me out. I also old trunk springs from the dealship and cut them down which makes nice hangers for parts to be paint and hung up to dry.

GregWeld
12-01-2010, 08:46 PM
This reminds me of when I stopped by Marcels one day to BS.... and Mark (Marcels son) had homemade a bead roller when he was 15 or so -- he's now got to be 45+....

The welding was complete bird Sh t and the thing looked so homemade -- but it had been used and abused in a pro shop for 30 years...

I gave him major crap over it. We got a good laugh...

rwhite692
12-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Brandon if you go on the HAMB site there are numerous posts about home-built tools, several brakes....enough reading to keep you going for days...also check out the Practical Machinist site, lots of great creations on there too.

J2SpeedandCustom
12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Go here they have everything you could possibly want - http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cfdirectory.cgi?categoryid=9990091247057

I love this site!!!

Ketzer
12-13-2010, 09:12 AM
stopped by Marcels one day to BS.... ...

Must be nice.

(Not giving you sh!t about name dropping, just saying it is awesome that you can drop by a shop like that and hang with fellow craftsmen).

Jeff-

GregWeld
12-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Must be nice.

(Not giving you sh!t about name dropping, just saying it is awesome that you can drop by a shop like that and hang with fellow craftsmen).

Jeff-

I'm certain that if I went once a week - or once a month - they'd ask me not to come again! Once a year, or once every 6 months they're okay with... but! Big Butt! I'm very mindful of their TIME and their space etc. They're there trying to earn a living. If every guy in the industry stops and BS's for an hour -- they'd be broke. I actually mention to people - when I stop by - to "go ahead and keep working... don't stop to blab with me... I just wanted to see some kool stuff and and if this isn't a good time, we're outta here!" I also tell the shop - I don't want a shop tour, and that I know they're busy. I don't touch their tools - I stay clear of stuff a guy should stay clear of etc. I don't touch the parts or cars and blah blah blah. I think the shop people recognize that and appreciate that. I think they can see who does and who doesn't belong in their shop area by the way you conduct yourself and how you approach them/their business.

Not saying they wouldn't love to toss me out... I'm just saying that I'm very respectful of what a business is trying to do - and I respect their time etc.

Even when I go into SAR - where my '32 is being done - I do not stop to blab with the guys. I might ask them a question - but the only guy I'm going to take any time with is the one working on MY car... and I totally understand I'm being billed for that time. Even then - I don't wax on about anything that doesn't relate to what they need to know, or what I need to know. Mainly because I'm cheap and I don't want to spend $70 an hour to BS... :lol:

I really do think about that! I figure if a guy stops to blab with me - SOMEONE is paying that hourly rate. It ain't my job to run up someone else's bill! :faint:

brans72
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Nice stands you posted up Greg see I know your always making stuff just wanting to brag about it when time comes huh? :D

GregWeld
12-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Nice stands you posted up Greg see I know your always making stuff just wanting to brag about it when time comes huh? :D

Don't want to pop your bubble - but posting those stands was just about someone else wanting to see some -- to get ideas... and I DID NOT make those! Had I made them.... the bottoms would have been "finished" and there'd be a cross piece at the bottom to keep the bottoms from doing the splits. :D

I use protected jack stands if I have a chassis on the 'ground' otherwise I use my lift... and I have some Race Ramps stuff etc...

brans72
12-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Lift!!!! Your spoiled there Greg! Next house I plan on 40x40 and lift right off and the wife knows it already. Figure now be happy with a 24x30 I say garage with a/c that houses my Chevelle and her 67 C10.

GregWeld
12-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Lift!!!! Your spoiled there Greg! Next house I plan on 40x40 and lift right off and the wife knows it already. Figure now be happy with a 24x30 I say garage with a/c that houses my Chevelle and her 67 C10.

:yes: :D :cheers: :woot:

E.rodz
12-13-2010, 08:30 PM
here is a rotisserie that I made a couple of years ago. think I might even finish my english wheel some day.
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/erodz/shop%20tools/feb-march2009008.jpg
I am with Greg maybe someday I can find time to use my tools.lol.