PDA

View Full Version : custom console

importkiller69ss
01-09-2006, 07:38 PM
i am planning on building a cutome console to go in my 69 ss. i have the idea in my head and think i know how to make it but want some idea of what has been done before. i want it to house my 4 autometer gauges and cd player. i want it to flow all the way up into the bottom of the dash. and have a arm rest kinda like all the new cars do. would it be easier to make the mold out of thin wood or i know some have done fiber glass, but i have no experience with that... what would be the easiest for a younger guy with little experience in the interior bussiness

Tim Baillie
01-09-2006, 11:22 PM
I would build it all out of ABS, thin and light but very strong.

importkiller69ss
01-09-2006, 11:30 PM
where would i go to find abs and how would i attach the peices ..like the side

lil427z
01-09-2006, 11:34 PM
make the body out of 1/4 '' plywood . works for me . :thumbsup:
rick k www.rickswoodworking.com

importkiller69ss
01-09-2006, 11:36 PM
thats what i was thinking...and either thin aluminum for the peices to house the gugaes and the shifter.....or abs plastic..but i dont know where to get the abs

Tim Baillie
01-10-2006, 12:34 AM
we sell small pieces online, but if you do a search or a local "plastic" supply company that sell's plexi glass will be able to get it. You can use C/A glue which is strong as hell or just normal ABS glue, being 1/4 it will be strong as hell and you don't have to worry about screwing or nailing it together.............

If you look thru my site there are tons of pics of what we use ABS for...............the entire door panels on my Buick Regal is multi layered 1/8" ABS...............super light........

XTRMEASURES
01-10-2006, 09:24 AM
I would build it all out of ABS, thin and light but very strong.

:thumbsup: