PDA

View Full Version : late 2nd gen z28 77-81 ideas

spdtrip
11-12-2010, 09:15 AM
I have been thinking of getting one of these cars for about a year now.
I know there are a lot of really nice 70-73's to look at and get ideas from but not alot of people doing later 2nd gen z's. I had one in HS my senior year
a 79 white with blue decals. im in lust over G-machine's/pro touring cars
and would like to do something cool to one of those cars. Any pic's or info of these cool cars would be great.
Thanks,Mark.

Musclerodz
11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Not a Camaro, but we a working on a 79 Firebird Formula now that will look completely stock except the wheels. Full DSE underpinnings, LS3/4L65E under hood. I will post pics soon, wrapping up suspension install next week

JayR
11-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm all over this plan and don't think we're the only ones. Those cars are going to be coming on strong and there's TONS of aftermarket support for them. Take a look at the killer one Hot Rod just built for a parts list and some inspiration. The only thing I would suggest is to avoid the T-Top cars. No offense to anyone with a T-Top car, they're just too disco for me, usually leak, make noise, compromise rigidity, and 75 pounds of glass at the highest point of the car is not the best plan for your center of gravity.

I would actually shop base models, not Z/28s because you'll pay less for a car that likely saw less abuse and is more likely to come without T-Tops. Add the stripes and skip the fake scoops and vents for a cleaner look.

Good luck and keep us posted!

spdtrip
11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
I do like the birds, infact a good friend of mine bought a 78 trans am with 24,000 org. miles on it he now has 3 cool cars.(jerk) 93 teal cobra and a 2001 saleen.:cool: he likes the ta the best. But im partcial to the z28 cars. thanks for the tip on the t-top cars although I do like me some disco.lol.
hope to keep this thread going for a while. Mark.

redfire69
11-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about updating the wheels and stance on my 80 TA. Mostly original looking from the outside, sans the sunset orange metallic paint...

http://members.cox.net/~redfire69/images/RonsTA1.jpg

70TWO NOVA
11-13-2010, 01:46 AM
building one as we speak with my dad, LSx car too....
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=26228&highlight=trailer+trash

NOT A TA
11-13-2010, 08:55 AM
The 79 Z has always been a favorite of mine, came very close to buying a brand new one back in the day.

As far as "Ideas": I always thought it would be cool to reverse the fender vents from drivers to passengers so the angle of the vents would mimic the headlight, windshield, and rear spoiler angles. From a design point of view I have no idea why it's backward. To me it doesn't flow well visually. Stock = / \ / / Flipping the vents = / / / /.

I've never seen it done and challenge someone to try it. I looked at the ones on my stepsons 79 when we swapped a fiberglass nose onto it and athough it requires some cutting and welding it shouldn't be too hard.