PDA

View Full Version : stupid question maybe...but.

jasburbak
01-07-2006, 11:43 PM
I know this may sound like a stupid question to most of you, but i just keep on wondering this... what is the difference between a regular crate engine setup (say for ex: a 454ci) and this engine (it was taken from a members photo album here) ... i've seen the same engine type in old 60's ferrari's..
basically what is it, and whats the difference, and what does it do... thanks.. Jason

ilovefirstgens
01-08-2006, 12:32 AM
umm......

I sure as hell hope you havent seen that engine in an old ferrari consideirng all it is, is a ls1 with a ir (one throttle blade per cylinder) intake and some msd coils, visually that is

ProTouring442
01-08-2006, 07:03 AM
I know this may sound like a stupid question to most of you, but i just keep on wondering this... what is the difference between a regular crate engine setup (say for ex: a 454ci) and this engine (it was taken from a members photo album here) ... i've seen the same engine type in old 60's ferrari's..
basically what is it, and whats the difference, and what does it do... thanks.. Jason

I am thinking that you might be seeing a similarity in the induction systems. In this case, the photo shows a very nice looking LS series Chevrolet with a fuel injection system using individual throttle blades for each cylinder. This set-up, though I am no expert, gives great throttle response. What you saw in the old Ferrari was probably a DelOrto or similar multiple carburetor set-up.

The difference between the pictured engine and a "regular crate engine" could be zero. If the pictured LS-1 was a crate engine, the owner has added a very nice looking induction system. You could run a similar fuel injection design on a 454 as well.

Hopefully, that gets somewhere close to answering your question. As for whether or not it was a stupid one... The say there are no stupid questions. I don't believe them though. For proof, just look back through some of the ones I have posted! :D

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

jasburbak
01-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks a lot guys, it pretty much cleared up all i was wondering about.... very nice looking engine tho...