PDA

View Full Version : Post SEMA road trip

PTAddict
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Well, we didn't get an invite to the Optima Challenge, but at least I got to drive my car home from Vegas to Portland. We trailered it down to keep it clean, but no need to worry about that afterward (see the pics). It was the first time I got to drive it completed, and it's really a sweet driving car. No problems at all.

Ride and handling are excellent, even with the shock settings we used for the road course shakedown. Car is pretty quiet, due to liberal use of damping products from Second Skin Audio. Got 20 MPG for the trip.

Special thanks to Steve at Modern Classics, Kyle and Stacy at DSE for the superb customer service and setup help, and Vintage Air for the SEMA Feature Vehicle invite.

Specs on the car:
- LS7, mild cam, FAST intake, Mast Motorsports M-90 ECU
- D & D Viper T56, Textralia Clutch
- DSE Subframe, Quadralink, and connectors
- Baer Extreme brakes, DSE booster/master
- Forgeline wheels/Michelin PS2 street, CCW/BFG R1 track
- 10 point cage, most bars removable
- Built by Steve Heino at Modern Classics Performance, Lake Oswego, OR
- Body/Paint by Darrell Baumann at DB Customs, Newberg, OR
- Color is 2009 Challenger Hemi Orange

Trip pictures at this link (check out the snow):

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.borduin/PostSemaRoadTrip2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCOeJ_LGg-cu5WA#

Vince@Meanstreets
11-08-2010, 02:31 PM
great shots and beautiful car.

dropit69
11-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Beautiful drive and very nice ride !!!!!!

Rybar
11-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Sick car, please post some more pics of it. :yes:

PTAddict
11-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Here are links to the two pics that Scott (XcYZ) took at SEMA:

http://lateral-g.org/events/sema2010/DSC_0161.JPG
http://lateral-g.org/events/sema2010/DSC_0160.JPG

I'll post some more pictures soon. I don't have that many of the completed car, since we were working on it until the day before we left for the show (and isn't that a familiar story).

Moose
11-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Love this pic.. very nice

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_MmsBPGqgAXM/TNdkHydL1oI/AAAAAAAAAF0/8Gc-Cm1nW8c/s640/2010-11-06%2010.33.08.jpg

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Great car and nice shots!!

Email me your contact info along with your exact location.. would love to have it shot for the magazine.

Steven

[email protected]

XcYZ
11-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Here are links to the two pics that Scott (XcYZ) took at SEMA.

Our group LOVED your car. We checked it out several times. :thumbsup:

jon72vega
11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Nice pictures!

PTAddict
11-08-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks. It makes sense you'd like it, since many of the ideas were taken from your car! And Lillard's, and Stielow's, and Rupp's, et al. This forum, and everyone on it, is a great resource.

tones2SS
11-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Very nice car. Glad you got to enjoy it!:thumbsup: :cheers:

PTAddict
11-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Here's some video from our track shakedown in August. The car had no interior or side glass yet, and leftover media blasting grit was flying all over inside the car. Steve Heino and I split the driving for 6 sessions of a Porsche club track day at Portland International Raceway (the local Porsche club runs a great track day program). Until the trip back from Vegas, this was almost all the seat time I had!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYd1axARp30

Steve Heino is driving this advanced session - he's not only a talented mechanic and fabricator, but an excellent driver too. Neither of us was pushing the car that hard for these sessions, but you can see the track-prepped Porsches and Z06s get pwned anyway. Notice the g force readings from my TraqMate - consistent 1.1 to 1.2 G in steady state corners. That's a tribute to the grip provided by the DSE suspension and BFG R1 tires.

Steve and I do 5 or 6 track days each Summer, at PIR and Oregon Raceway Park (great, great track). It's great fun to blow the minds of the late model Porsche and Vette owners with our "old school" cars. But its not simple to build a car that will live and perform optimally for 5 sessions of 25 minutes several times a Summer. Cooling, heat protection, brakes, aerodynamics, etc. If we did some unique things compared to other builds, it was in these areas.

tazzz2_ca
11-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Stunning car and that video showed some pretty darn good driving overall...... Loved it when you car blew by the newer cars ;-) that's always nice...

96z28ss
11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Well we need to get Steve on here and have him start posting.
And showoff all his projects.

I looked over your car and was very impressed. I saw the Oregon plates and was like huh never seen this car before. Came back a couple days later and Saw Steve and Teri and chatted with them for a bit. Great car and local. We'll have to hang out some time in the summer.

EBMC
11-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Looked like the perfect way to unwind after a busy week!:yes:

GregWeld
11-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Scott -- You need to bring that bad boy out to meet up with Bob and I, and a few others this coming summer at Beaches. I trip down there 4 or so Wednesdays to hit my old home town and see my Portland hot rod buddies.

I checked your car out at SEMA -- Nice build! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woot:

96z28ss
11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Scott -- You need to bring that bad boy out to meet up with Bob and I, and a few others this coming summer at Beaches. I trip down there 4 or so Wednesdays to hit my old home town and see my Portland hot rod buddies.

Ditto!!

vdrivinmike
11-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Awesome build! Great job documenting the road trip. Congrats on such a fine car......

These were meant to be DRIVEN. I love it.

PTAddict
11-08-2010, 09:47 PM

Hey GregWeld, I'm really sorry to be ignorant, I don't know Beaches. What is it, where is it, when is it? Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide.

Scott

GregWeld
11-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Scott!

Beaches show at PIR EVERY Wednesday all thru summer beginning in May I think. Starts around 3:30 in the afternoon and runs 'til about dark. It's $5 if you're in a "hot rod" or show type car... If you're in a regular car you can't get in - you have park outside and take a tram in. Beaches restaurant puts it on. Live band -- great inexpensive burgers and salads - water - drinks (booze)/ beer...
Drag racing (1/8th mile) and usually 1000 cars and 200+ bikes parked on the grass.

They donate the profit to Children's Hospital - last year I think it was over 100 grand.

PTAddict
11-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Scott!

Beaches show at PIR EVERY Wednesday all thru summer beginning in May I think. Starts around 3:30 in the afternoon and runs 'til about dark. It's $5 if you're in a "hot rod" or show type car... If you're in a regular car you can't get in - you have park outside and take a tram in. Beaches restaurant puts it on. Live band -- great inexpensive burgers and salads - water - drinks (booze)/ beer...
Drag racing (1/8th mile) and usually 1000 cars and 200+ bikes parked on the grass.

They donate the profit to Children's Hospital - last year I think it was over 100 grand.

Thanks! I'll be there. I've put it on my calendar to check out beginning May next year.

awr68
11-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Scott, I loved your car and checked it out daily....what a great build and tastfully done! If I'm not mistaken Steve lives about a mile from me! Is his shop in Lake Grove and he lives in Orenco (Hillsboro)?

If the others will allow I would like to join all of you this summer at Beaches....:_paranoid

GregWeld
11-08-2010, 11:17 PM
If the others will allow I would like to join all of you this summer at Beaches....:_paranoid

Not so easy buddy! You have to have a running drivable car and be over 5'4"'s

EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jennifer can come with my Sister though! :rofl: :rofl:

awr68
11-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I'll have you know that I'm a towering 5'5''! I'll work on the running car thing.....:P

96z28ss
11-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Scott, I loved your car and checked it out daily....what a great build and tastfully done! If I'm not mistaken Steve lives about a mile from me! Is his shop in Lake Grove and he lives in Orenco (Hillsboro)?

The Shop is in Lake Oswego.

awr68
11-08-2010, 11:39 PM
The Shop is in Lake Oswego.

Yeah I remember seeing that, but if it's the shop I'm thinking of it's outside LO in Lake Grove (closer to I5).......

Flash68
11-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Well, we didn't get an invite to the Optima Challenge, but at least I got to drive my car home from Vegas to Portland. We trailered it down to keep it clean, but no need to worry about that afterward (see the pics). It was the first time I got to drive it completed, and it's really a sweet driving car. No problems at all.

Ride and handling are excellent, even with the shock settings we used for the road course shakedown. Car is pretty quiet, due to liberal use of damping products from Second Skin Audio. Got 20 MPG for the trip.

Special thanks to Steve at Modern Classics, Kyle and Stacy at DSE for the superb customer service and setup help, and Vintage Air for the SEMA Feature Vehicle invite.

Specs on the car:
- LS7, mild cam, FAST intake, Mast Motorsports M-90 ECU
- D & D Viper T56, Textralia Clutch
- DSE Subframe, Quadralink, and connectors
- Baer Extreme brakes, DSE booster/master
- Forgeline wheels/Michelin PS2 street, CCW/BFG R1 track
- 10 point cage, most bars removable
- Built by Steve Heino at Modern Classics Performance, Lake Oswego, OR
- Body/Paint by Darrell Baumann at DB Customs, Newberg, OR
- Color is 2009 Challenger Hemi Orange

Trip pictures at this link (check out the snow):

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.borduin/PostSemaRoadTrip2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCOeJ_LGg-cu5WA#

I was hoping to find more info on this car!! Was absolutely my favorite car and it SHOULD have been invited to Optima. Looked like it was made to be there. Such a nicely done car. Congrats and thanks for posting.

We checked it out 3 separate times also. One of the few cars I took a bunch of pics of.

PTAddict
11-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Yeah I remember seeing that, but if it's the shop I'm thinking of it's outside LO in Lake Grove (closer to I5).......

Yes, that's Steve's shop on Jean Rd. in the Lake Grove section of Lake Oswego.

PTAddict
11-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I was hoping to find more info on this car!! Was absolutely my favorite car and it SHOULD have been invited to Optima.

Thanks. I think the car probably suffered for being a '69 Camaro when it came to the Optima selection - there were plenty of Camaros already, and they were probably trying to look for more variety. Plus, I wasn't hanging around the car much the first 3 days - I serve as Steve's EFI tuner and technical advisor, so I was walking the show and scoping out all of the new stuff.

Vegas69
11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Having a 69 is definitely a handicap getting into the challenge. I wouldn't let one year of not getting the nod turn you off. I took me three years to get into the show. Show up at El Toro in February and other misc. events and try to race your way in. At least it's not a black 69. :lol: Glad to see you actually using the car. :thumbsup:

PTAddict
11-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Having a 69 is definitely a handicap getting into the challenge. I wouldn't let one year of not getting the nod turn you off. I took me three years to get into the show. Show up at El Toro in February and other misc. events and try to race your way in. At least it's not a black 69. :lol: Glad to see you actually using the car. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm tentatively planning to hit Goodguys Pleasanton in June, and trying to put up a good showing in the autocross. El Toro may not work so well for me - it's a two day drive, and there's a big chance of snow in the passes in February. Tire chains won't fit back there :)

tazzz2_ca
11-09-2010, 09:51 AM
you want to consider renting or borrowing a truck & trailer if possible for El Toro.... The event is a must do deal every year and the gang is a blast,,, just ask Doug Renner he even saw Elvis last year LMAO...

Heck I know it's not easy, but if I can come in from Toronto (and you know we get our share of snow all winter),,,, I'm sure you can figure it out too;-) .....

Seriously though it would be great to see you there,,,, and see your car first hand as I think it's a real sharp...

96z28ss
11-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I'm tentatively planning to hit Goodguys Pleasanton in June, and trying to put up a good showing in the autocross. El Toro may not work so well for me - it's a two day drive, and there's a big chance of snow in the passes in February. Tire chains won't fit back there :)

RTTC was in April this year and Greg and I drove thru snow heading back home. There is a chance for snow any time don't let that be a factor in heading to elToro.

youthpastor
11-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Ditto!!

One of my favorite at the show! Cool to have it in our own backyard.

love the color- stance- brakes- wheels- you nailed it:D - Chris

GregWeld
11-09-2010, 04:56 PM

I just called Stan and Sue and told them you were whining about snow... you don't want to know what he said! :rofl:

Hey -- PM me about about the Hilborn set up you and Steve saw down there. Their website doesn't show squat... and Stan's interested for the '33.

awr68
11-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes, that's Steve's shop on Jean Rd. in the Lake Grove section of Lake Oswego.

I thought so!!!!! He and I are basically neighbors! I have been by the shop before and we tralked for a bit, great guy! I know Stan & Sue sure like Steve and thought I should have him tune my car next year. I will have to get ahold of him soon! :cheers:

Bill Howell
11-09-2010, 05:40 PM
I saw the car and loved it. Of course, you know my favorite part, you DROVE IT! Thanks for the pictures.

96z28ss
11-09-2010, 05:51 PM
kinda feel left out, Who is Stan and Sue? more Oregon Pro-tourers?

awr68
11-09-2010, 05:56 PM

They are Greg's friends from P-Town and have Steve do their tuning. He was with Greg at my BBQ during the GG's Show this summer.

GregWeld
11-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Dude! LOL

This a thread jack?

Stan and Sue are good friends of mine - that live in Portland - and own a Great 8 Riddler '32 (1994) and a very nice '33 3 Window. His and hers. Her's is "half a car".... Stans favorite saying (it's a roadster).

It was next to me at Beaches last time I was there... has a Northstar and all torsion bar suspension. Remember it?

Great people - but they don't do computers.

96z28ss
11-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Oh I remember them from GG. Was hoping for more pro-tourers. Oh well hot rodders are okay also.

PTAddict
11-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Dude! LOL

This a thread jack?

Stan and Sue are good friends of mine - that live in Portland - and own a Great 8 Riddler '32 (1994) and a very nice '33 3 Window. His and hers. Her's is "half a car".... Stans favorite saying (it's a roadster).

It was next to me at Beaches last time I was there... has a Northstar and all torsion bar suspension. Remember it?

Great people - but they don't do computers.

I remember that car! I did the tuning (for Steve) on his Holley EFI setup. It was one of the old Holley Commander setups, not enough flexibility to get it perfect, but it ran a lot better.

GregWeld
11-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I remember that car! I did the tuning (for Steve) on his Holley EFI setup. It was one of the old Holley Commander setups, not enough flexibility to get it perfect, but it ran a lot better.

That's the one! And yes -- he needs to scrap the whole thing. But apparently the Caddy Northstar uses some weirdo stuff and he's kind of stuck with it.

I've come to the conclusion that the Northstar is complete crap! My buddies cadillac started to overheat -- it's a Northstar. The dealer said $5 GRAND minimum because the heads are crap and when they undo the fasteners it strips the block out. Apparently GM never heard of anti seize when doing aluminum and steel.... :unibrow: WTF.... you'd think it was a Vega.

PTAddict
11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
I just called Stan and Sue and told them you were whining about snow... you don't want to know what he said! :rofl:

Ha! The old "challenge my manhood" trick, huh? Well, it won't work on me! At least, probably not. Maybe not. OK, it might work.

steve da wrench
11-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Great people - but they don't do computers.They (Stan and Sue) do computers when I do them! :) I did the EFI swap on their Northstar motor in her car, and we are working on something for his car now. Nice to see other people know and like them! Great people :yes:

Thanks for all the kind words about the build on the '69 project. We will have to put some more pics up, and one of these days I will have to put some pics up of some of the other cars (inlcuding mine). I am dropping off my PT 67 Chevelle wagon today to get the headliner installed, then I can get back to finishing up the heating & air conditioning system. I am going to try to IT to SEMA next year :)

DIGI-TAILS
11-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Nice pictures and love your car. So kewl!!!!:)

96z28ss
11-10-2010, 10:57 AM
They (Stan and Sue) do computers when I do them! :) I did the EFI swap on their Northstar motor in her car, and we are working on something for his car now. Nice to see other people know and like them! Great people :yes:

Thanks for all the kind words about the build on the '69 project. We will have to put some more pics up, and one of these days I will have to put some pics up of some of the other cars (inlcuding mine). I am dropping off my PT 67 Chevelle wagon today to get the headliner installed, then I can get back to finishing up the heating & air conditioning system. I am going to try to IT to SEMA next year :)

Glad you finally posted on here.
You should post a picture of your garage and all your camaro's.

conekiller13
11-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I've been telling Steve about this site and pro-Touring for years.......I'm not sure He knows how to operate a computer though.....:lol:

Anyway, he has built some cool cars through the years and He and I have diced it up on the track a few times. That's usually been Me in My STi and him in his LS powered '67 Camaro. He never misses an opportunity to tease Me about My Chevelle still being apart.

That '69 is great looking and great to see it on track. Another thing to take it to is the Cars & Coffee at Bridgeport mall every Saturday. It's kinda by Boarder's but they do it year round every Saturday from 8:00 - 10:00am.

PTAddict
11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I posted some more pics at this thread:

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=29327

steve da wrench
11-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Anyway, he has built some cool cars through the years and He and I have diced it up on the track a few times. That's usually been Me in My STi and him in his LS powered '67 Camaro. He never misses an opportunity to tease Me about My Chevelle still being apart.

Actually, my Camaro (at least the PT one) is a '68 ;)

Yes, I know I tease you about your car, but since its been a few years since I chatted with you, and you have a pic of your car in your avatar, its done now, right? :lol: :D
I am going to see if I can find any pics of my '68 and the '67 wagon and maybe put them in the newbie car section.