PDA

View Full Version : After Market Brake Systems Help!

Paladin
09-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I have a Baer track kit on my 65 fastback, and the problem isn't stopping power, but pedal 'feel'. I have teh right master cylinder bore size and an adjustable proportioning valve, but there is too much pedal travel before teh brakes engage (they are power) and when they do, they grab suddenly making the brakes difficult to modulate. I have braided lines all around. what could I do to get a harder pedal and less travel?? Any opinions greatly appreciated.

MtotheIKEo
09-19-2010, 08:28 PM
a larger master cylinder will require less travel (moving more fluid) and firmer pedal.

Apogee
09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
When you say you're running a Baer Track kit, does that mean you're running them front and rear or just one or the other? What size master cylinder are you running? What's made you decide that's not the problem? What size booster are you running? Have you tested either and if so, what have you done and what were the results?

As already pointed out by MtotheIKEo, the easiest way to reduce pedal travel is to increase the MC bore size. Not only will this reduce pedal travel, it will reduce caliper pressures as well which should improve your ability to better modulate the brakes. Alternately (and considerably more difficultly), you could decrease your pedal ratio to achieve the same effect, although there are more mechanical limitations taking that route.

Tobin
KORE3

GregWeld
09-20-2010, 10:11 PM
I have a Baer track kit on my 65 fastback, and the problem isn't stopping power, but pedal 'feel'. I have teh right master cylinder bore size and an adjustable proportioning valve, but there is too much pedal travel before teh brakes engage (they are power) and when they do, they grab suddenly making the brakes difficult to modulate. I have braided lines all around. what could I do to get a harder pedal and less travel?? Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Tobin said it well...

I was just wondering -- when you say "you have the right master cylinder bore size"... what size that would be...

I also agree with Tobin -- do you know - or have you checked your pedal ratio?

Paladin
09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
thanks for teh replies. I have the baer eradispeed rotors 13" front 12" rear with the pbr 2 piston fronts and single piston rears. master cylinder is a 15/16 bore size. power booster is 11" from mustang steve. The pedal box is stock 65 mustang so I do not know what the pedal ratio is, but as soon as clayton machine works makes their pedals for 65/66 mustangs I am getting those!!! My motor has a mild cam so vacuum is not a problem, easy 17".

GregWeld
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Even "stock" there would be/could be/ TWO different pedal ratios depending on how the car came -- with or without power brakes. So you could have the wrong pedal ratio which may contribute to the touchy brakes.

Google "brake pedal ratio" and see how to check what you have.

Wilwoods sight has a discussion of this - I think.

An expert -- such as Tobin @ Kore3 would be better at selecting the proper M/C.