PDA

View Full Version : drum to disc help

kilrcam
12-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Ok need some more advice, I'm ordering a set of wilwood disc for my chevelle front only at this time. I have a drum/drum set up right now. Will my manual master cylinder work or do i need something else? Do i need to go and get a disc/drum master, I thought about a wilwood master as well, i plan to stay manual for a while. And then when i go 4 wheel disc i will run a hydroboost. Thanks for any help i get.

Brad

MaxHarvard
12-31-2005, 11:54 AM
as far as i know, i dont think it will... when i ordered my kit for my camaro, they suggested swapping the MC with the drum/drum set up for something bigger. Something about line pressure and the old MC not being able to help... it was 2 years ago, i cant remember exactly.

Besides, when it comes to brakes (the things that save your life) what could it hurt to upgrade?

67firebird
01-01-2006, 04:10 PM
You need a new master cylinder, since master cylinders designed for drums keep a little pressure in the brake to keep the brake linings close to the drum. Disc brakes doesn't use that "pre-pressure". So you'll end up braking all the time if you keep the old mc. Hope you understand my english....

ProdigyCustoms
01-01-2006, 05:13 PM
You should be getting these questions answered from your brake supplier. I suggest Precision Brakes.

kilrcam
01-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Ok, thank you guys, I think I know what I am going to get now, I'm going to order a new MC, proportioning valve and a hydro boost. I don't think i'm going to mess with the manual brakes, but my engine will not produce enough vacuum to run a booster. And i just got setup with a local speed shop they are getting me a good deal on all this stuff. Thanks again.

Brad