PDA

View Full Version : Gemini Auto Lifts?

Revved
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Anybody used one of these before or have experience with the company? The website isn't that impressive but they claim all parts are made in USA which is good for keeping $$ in our country and a bonus for servicing down the line.

I'm looking at a new lift and they are only about a hour from me so I could pick it up and save on shipping.

rwhite692
09-09-2010, 02:34 PM
There is a thread about those lifts, over on Garage Journal:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19748&highlight=gemini+lift

GregWeld
09-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I have a GPO-9A 9,000 pound Asymmetrical lift.... I would NOT have bought it if I could do it over and in fact have had the Rotary people out here to look at tearing it out and doing theirs.

The lift is not low enough for low hot rods - I have to drive all my cars up on ramps in order to get the arms under the chassis

The locking mechanism will ruin your ears. The thing must be 100 dba.

Despite NUMEROUS adjustments - after a few uses - it doesn't lift the car equally. The cables stretch or something. It's not far off - but is always "off".

My lift is MADE IN AMERICA

It's "okay" and that's about all I can say about it. I woulda coulda shoulda spent more money and gotten a far superior lift. At the time - I just didn't realize how much I would use one. Mine was not the chinko cheapy - so for a few more bucks I could have gotten a REAL lift.

GregWeld
09-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Here's my lift as installed.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Shop%20Pix/IMG_1305.jpg

Revved
09-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I'd never heard of them before- I don't think I've ever worked on anything but a Rotary.

I've got a buddy that says he can get me good deals on Bendpak but I'm hearing mixed things about them service wise now that they are all built in China.

GregWeld
09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Personally -- I like my LIFE better than I like my money....

I gladly pay more for a superior product. Unfortunately standing under a lift with a 4000# car on it -- you might not find out what's inferior until it's too late.

Like I said earlier -- I bought an AMERICAN MADE product -- not the cheapest - and went with more load (9000# over the lower price 7000# versions) in order to have a safe margin. However -- in the end -- you still get what you pay for and knowing now how much I use this thing - I'd have paid double and been far happier. Like I said - it's "okay" - but I tend to like pro grade stuff and can afford to indulge myself... and have learned a few things since the original purchase.

Jay Hilliard
09-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Greg is right. Dont skimp on something that you have an expensive car on, or something alot more important that you can not replace for no amount of money.....YOUR LIFE!!

Spend the extra $$ and get a Rotary or Bend Pak.

Revved
09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Definately agree with you guys. I had just never heard of them before and didn't know where they fit in the food chain.

I know Rotary is top notch but have never used a Bend Pak lift before either- any feed back on Bend Pak? As mentioned above I've heard iffy things about servicing them when they do break but its all heresay.

GregWeld
09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Nothing wrong with the QUALITY of my Gemini lift.... it's well built and I'm not afraid of using it and it gets used A LOT!

Being used A LOT is where I failed myself... I just had no idea how much use this would get... and HAD I known that - I'd have stepped up and "invested" in a top notch piece.

The lift is "fine" -- it's just clumsy if that's a description. And for a bit more -- I could have "protected" the initial investment and had a lifetime of satisfaction.

I actually view the word "investment" as Use/happiness/value added/MONEY is dead last. So if I was going to spend 4 grand on something --- and it's only another grand to get the best version... then I view the last grand as insurance on the first 4 grand.

Lastly -- tools are "assets". The wife spends money on a vacation... that money is GONE... It goes straight to ZERO. I spend money on a car - tools - shop equipment. At some point when no longer needed, or used, or whatever... I can turn that back into some return. So not only have I had the use and enjoyment of the item/car/equipment... that stuff all still has value. :woot:

vstol
11-22-2010, 07:13 PM
anyone used the Direct Lift 10,000lb lift (two post)

Ketzer
11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
I have a BendPak. Unfortunately I cant give a true assessment on durability, its fairly new and doesnt get used every day. I've been around Rotary and looked at some cheaper ones, my BP seems to be very well built. The parts that need to be beefy definately are. I did my own install so I could know it inside and out.

Jeff-

GregWeld
11-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Since they don't mention it - my guess is they aren't built in the USA...

There's probably nothing right or wrong with an imported lift.... they'll lift up a car - just like every other lift. My only comment on owning a lift is - given the amount of use it gets - I'd have spent DOUBLE knowing what I know now and if I had half a clue how much use it gets.

It's like owning a welder and knowing how to use it -- you have LOTS of friends that "need" you. Ditto the lift...

vstol
11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Greg if I read your response about your Gemini, your ok with it or you wished you bought what...?

GregWeld
11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
I should have bought a ROTARY....

My Gemini is "fine" but "ordinary" -- super noisy locking mechanism.... At the time I thought "so......" but now that I use it so much -- I think "dang..... woulda, shoulda, coulda"

Revved
11-29-2010, 11:39 AM
I had a chance to work on a Bend Pak a few weeks back while out visiting a client. He's had it for a few years and was running a late model Mustang bolt on business with it. He says its "OK" and you can't beat it for the price. Working on it, I would say it feels sloppy compared to the Rotary stuff I've worked on in the past. I'm sure it would do fine for my low volume but I think I'm going to spend the extra $1k to get the Rotary. I talked to Rotary out at SEMA and they were supposed to have the local dealer call me... I need to follow up with them.

GregWeld
11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Rev -- I guess that was the point I was trying to make.... it just isn't that much more and is so much better in every way. I think the extra cost up front far exceeds the savings in the long run. I cheaped out thinking I wouldn't use it much and learned that I was dead wrong. Should have stepped up - or as my son tells me - I should have manned up....

rwhite692
11-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Lastly -- tools are "assets". The wife spends money on a vacation... that money is GONE... It goes straight to ZERO. I spend money on a car - tools - shop equipment. At some point when no longer needed, or used, or whatever... I can turn that back into some return. So not only have I had the use and enjoyment of the item/car/equipment... that stuff all still has value. :woot:

GW, I tell my wife this all the time. But it only helps a little, LOL