PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a New Master/Booster???

Jay's67SS
09-02-2010, 10:45 PM
What's up guys!!! I just got my Camaro out of hibernation, it feels good to get behind the wheel again.

A lil history about my car, when I bought it some one had converted the brakes to power with disc in the front. I'm not sure off of what, but the booster was a correct looking 11" and it worked fine.

Fast forward to right before I put my car away, I had some things come up that took my attention away from the car. I had some Baer brakes put on all the way round. Track System on the front & Sport System on the back, all new stainless lines, everything new except the master & booster. I put maybe 50 miles on them and parked it.

I resurrected it on Tuesday, now I've got time to get it done so it's on!!! :D

But the brake pedal sits lower than I remember & low pressure at the pedal. I'm gonna bleed them to see if that helps. But I imagine it's not okay to run a disc/drum master in a disc/disc situation?

I was looking at the DSE master/booster combo, looks like that would work good with my set up.

Thanks for any feedback! I let my car sit waaaay to long and I'm glad to be back in the saddle. :thumbsup:

Jay

GregWeld
09-03-2010, 09:31 AM
A couple of things:

#1 -- You need to change the master cylinder to a disc/disc set up... I would talk to WILWOOD --- or to KORE 3 (a sponsor here) -- about which diameter master to use with your booster (do you know how much vacuum your motor has?).

#2 -- Brake fluid is HYGROSCOPIC... meaning - it ABSORBS WATER... change out ALL of the fluid. That is more than a "bleed" -- it all needs to go... and you can do this when you change out your master cylinder.

#3 -- IF you do this work yourself... be sure to BENCH BLEED your master cylinder. Skip this step and you'll be sorry you did. :thumbsup:

#4 -- You should also inquire (Wilwood or Kore3 etc) about using (adding) an adjustable brake PROPORTIONING VALVE in the system. These are for balancing the brakes so that you don't lock up the REARS before the front. Do that and you're swapping ends real quickly.

Jay's67SS
09-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks Greg for the feedback. :thumbsup:

My engine is the stock 350, bored .30 over, with some basic bolt ons. How can I find how much vacuum it has?

I'm using Baer's adjustable Prop valve, I'm still breaking in the brakes so I haven't tried to lock em up to see if I need to adjust the valve.

GregWeld
09-03-2010, 04:37 PM
You'd need a vacuum gauge --

Just stop by some tune up shop and ask if they'd give you a quick read. It takes about 3 minutes.... including the begging time. Toss 'em a $10 for some Friday beer.

You don't break in brakes -- you BED THEM.... google "bedding brakes".

:D

Jay's67SS
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
You'd need a vacuum gauge --

Just stop by some tune up shop and ask if they'd give you a quick read. It takes about 3 minutes.... including the begging time. Toss 'em a $10 for some Friday beer.

You don't break in brakes -- you BED THEM.... google "bedding brakes".

:D

I've got a good speed shop near my house, I bet they'll check it for me no problem.

I read Baer Brakes bedding procedure last nite, I got zinc coated rotors so I've got a couple hundred more miles to go until I can start bedding them.

Jay's67SS
09-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I ordered the DSE set up, going to get it installed next week. The master on it has a 1" bore, Baer says 15/16" to 1" is good for my set up. I'll let ya'll know what I think after it's installed.