PDA

View Full Version : The best, biggest, most reliable brake system for 70 Camaro?

SS1156
09-01-2010, 02:02 AM
I am putting together a list of things to purchase. I found the car that I want and I will be able to afford it after selling the Saleen and it will still give me some breathing room cashwise until I find a job. The car has a running 307 in it and the owner said that it might be a little tired so I located a decent 327 from a friend for $500 that's from carb to pan ( I love you Rodney) and I will have to have the TH350 gone through I'm sure. Thank God I have a buddy that works onb TH350's for a living and told me not to worry about. Ok getting back to my plans, and please correct me if you think I should change the order that this stuff should be done in.

1) Completely rebuild suspension: A-arm bushings (trying for used or get Lee to help out with some upper & lower arms), ball joints, springs (owner told me that they are Hotchkis springs & need to ck them), idler arms, center link, pitman arm, ck or replace steering box w/ quick ratio, and whatever you guys can think of. I figured this would be the best place to start. If you guys know of anything else I need to check please chime in. I thought the front suspension should be the starting point because in my mind you need a good sound foundation to build on.

2) Rebuild the brakes: The car has manual disc brakes up front and manual drum in the rears. I really wanted Baer 6 piston calipers w/ 13" slotted rotors. I'm not a fan of drilled ones. Then I was thinking of the T-4 4 piston calipers w/ 13" rotors in the rear also. I am totally open to advice on the master cylinder because I am a novice when it comes to stuff like this, so please let me know what you guys think I should install. Of course I may have to settle on less expensive brakes, but what the hell I can dream right?

Let me know what you guys think.

SS1156
09-01-2010, 02:14 AM
For the brakes, can you guys list the makers that make kits other then Baer that I could take a look at? I appreciate any info you guys can help me with.

OLDFLM
09-01-2010, 08:22 AM
You simply can't go wrong with KORE3! :thumbsup:

buickfunnycar.com
09-01-2010, 03:53 PM
You simply can't go wrong with KORE3! :thumbsup:

X2...Tobin is your source here.:yes:

SR71
09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
use the baer track 4 in the front and the ss4+ in the rear. that gives you 4 piston calipers and 13" rotors all the way around with a nice parking brake for not much more than the 6 piston fronts alone.

SS1156
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
What do you guys think about my plan of attack as far as the order of rebuilding the car? I would love to hear your ideas from everyones point of view.

SS1156
09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Any thoughts guys?

deuce_454
09-04-2010, 12:46 PM
bear, kore3 or touring classics all use PBR based calipers.. oem design and roadworthy.. willwood and other race bread brakes are great for show and limited use cars, but dont have dustboots etc... ( i dont care how any people chime in and flame me with how they work great on their pt cars.. willwood is not a durable solution)

my vote is with one of the above 3 first (i have touring classics front and bear rear) ... brembo also have some big stuff for continuous road use.. but are mucho dinerro and need custom bracketry

Judgement
09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
C6 Z06 brakes front and rear are the best brakes for the money. Kore3 has all the brackets for you to get them hooked up. You can get them from Kore3, ebay or your local GM parts department.

deuce_454
09-05-2010, 10:50 AM
they are an awesome set of brakes... but a set of c5 z51 brakes are less than half the money.. and pads cost nothing compared to a set of front z06 pads...

so it comes down to budget and use of the car...

SR71
09-05-2010, 11:39 PM
and it takes ALOT of wheel pad to clear the c6 z06 brakes. my wheels have 1.5" front and 1" rear wheel pads and it isn't enough....or I would be using them.

ProdigyCustoms
09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
willwood is not a durable solution)

That simply is not true. We dailey drive Wilwood equiped cars for years now. In Florida it rains almost everyday on the way home, it is dusty as hell other days. We have not hasd a single caliper failure, not one and have been running them for 5 and 6 years now.

SS1156
09-08-2010, 12:15 AM
I do like the C5 Z51 brakes. I had C5 Z06 brakes on my 96 SS and it stopped great. I guess I really need to put function over image. I will admit that the Baer 6 piston brakes up front and the T4's out back in the Arizona Copper would look simply sick, but I think I would really need to hit the lotto to be able to afford that package. I think the C5 Z06 2 piston PBR calipers were good enough to stop a 405hp 3200# Corvette, it should be good enough for a daily driven 3200# mild street Camaro. What do you guys think? I'm not sure what to run out back? Does anyone make a 2 piston caliper rear setup?

214Chevy
09-08-2010, 08:15 AM
bear, kore3 or touring classics all use PBR based calipers.. oem design and roadworthy.. willwood and other race bread brakes are great for show and limited use cars, but dont have dustboots etc... ( i dont care how any people chime in and flame me with how they work great on their pt cars.. willwood is not a durable solution)

my vote is with one of the above 3 first (i have touring classics front and bear rear) ... brembo also have some big stuff for continuous road use.. but are mucho dinerro and need custom bracketry

I totally, absolutely, 100% agree with this statement, especially about Wilwoods. Not bashing, but Wilwoods are not all that. Now Baer on the other hand is a different story. I 've had both and know from personal experience. I was about to explode after having Wilwoods on my truck for 6 months.

deuce_454
09-08-2010, 10:32 AM
That simply is not true. We dailey drive Wilwood equiped cars for years now. In Florida it rains almost everyday on the way home, it is dusty as hell other days. We have not hasd a single caliper failure, not one and have been running them for 5 and 6 years now.

like i said.. willwoods are great, and somone will say thet work great on their pt "daily driver"... but that doesnt mean they have dustboots.. and i have replaced willwood dynalites (with BMW 325 e36 calipers that oddly enough fit dynalite2's bolt pattern ?!? ) because of stuck pistons on a daily driven street rod...

but then again we have more crappy climate than florida, and the car in mention got 15.000 miles per year .. and we salt our roads here in denmark...

OLDFLM
09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I do like the C5 Z51 brakes. I had C5 Z06 brakes on my 96 SS and it stopped great. I guess I really need to put function over image. I will admit that the Baer 6 piston brakes up front and the T4's out back in the Arizona Copper would look simply sick, but I think I would really need to hit the lotto to be able to afford that package. I think the C5 Z06 2 piston PBR calipers were good enough to stop a 405hp 3200# Corvette, it should be good enough for a daily driven 3200# mild street Camaro. What do you guys think? I'm not sure what to run out back? Does anyone make a 2 piston caliper rear setup?

Call Tobin at KORE3 already! :yes:

dmc69
10-14-2010, 08:40 PM
KOre3

Apogee
10-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the props guys. The great thing about brakes is that there is no shortage of options, so you should be able to find something the fits your performance needs within your budget. The C5/C6(Z51/Z06) brakes are great options for the money and are extremely well supported by the aftermarket in terms of pads and rotors.

While I undestand the desire for larger rear calipers from an aesthetics point of view, the less unsprung weight you hang on your rear axle the better. If size really is the most important thing to you, then focus on making your rear axle as rigid as possible and run the C6 Z06 4-piston calipers...they're big and functional and will maintain a good balance with C5/C6(Z51/Z06) fronts. Like any fixed caliper though, pad knockback should be taken into consideration depending on the rest of the system.

Tobin
KORE3

JKnight
10-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I think the knockback issue is one that should be strongly considered for most of the cars here. I know that in going with a C5/C6 based setup, you may be leaving some margin of braking ability on the table (I wonder how much really) but as an amatuer driver not having to pump up my brakes for them to work every time I exit a corner is a big plus for me. It frees up some time to worry about other things. Of course, if the car will never see track time or serious canyon carving, maybe this is a non-issue.

Put it this way, I still have not come close to reaching the limits of my Baer C6/Kore3 C5 Z06 system on the street. When I get to the track, we'll see, but I'm guessing it will be tires, driver or suspension tuning (or any number of other factors) that falls short before the brakes do.

Wilwood Tech
10-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Normally we don't get involved in these kind of discussions because there are so many points of view based on a combination of science, tribal knowledge and general folklore. When it comes to dust boots, there are strong opinions on both sides of the issue. There is no doubt that the early cast iron calipers did benefit from dust boots; however, the new aluminum calipers with stainless steel pistons and square cut piston rings function very well and are as resistant to contamination as their dust boot counter parts. We have been in business for 33 years and have sold thousands of calipers and have never had one returned because it was contaminated as a result of no dust boots. We do manufacture dust boot specific calipers because some of our customers demand it; however, there are many excellent reasons why we don't dust boot all of our calipers and if you call our Tech Department we will be glad to discuss them with you. We are a very large and successful company and we pride ourselves on manufacturing the best performing and most durable calipers on the market. You can be sure that if we believed there was any reason to dust boot all of our calipers, we would.

syborg tt
10-19-2010, 02:57 PM
So the goal on my new project is two fold.

#1 Best Bang for the buck
#2 If i break down, I want to be able to fix it quickly

On my last Project I have Wilwoods and they are great. The stopping power is over the top. However so is the set up.

On my newest project I went with a complete set up from Kore3. I have driven in a few cars with his kits and it's perfect. I am truly looking forward to using his c5/c6 kit on my 70 camaro.

As for the Brake booster - I am planning order the DSE booster for 2nd gen