PDA

View Full Version : Contractors in my area ohboy!

waynieZ
08-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I sent plans out to 3 contractors, no replies from any of them ( almost 4 weeks). Then last week I get a call from one of them he says vacations sick guys, no problem atleast he called back says he will call me the next day. That was last Wednesday! Doesn't anybody need work. Time are suposed to be tuff out there. I guess not as bad as I thought. There are a few smaller contractor in the area I'm going to find one of them. I hope!!
If it was detached I would try it myself lame or not atleast I would show up for work every day. lol. Its un believeable

One good note I found a Clopay Premium 4300 insulated door for less than half price. I got the door , 16x8' with no windows, an extra panel with insulated windows with the inserts, a Liftmaster 3800 door opener with 2 remotes 1 keypad plus what comes with it,all tracks and hardware to install it, the seals for around the door. I need a wind rated door for 110mph the door is rated 90 mph so it needs extra struts for across the door where there aren't any. so I bought some from him. I needed 3 he gave me 4or 5 with all the hardware to install them, all for $962.00 Just the door not wind rated without windows is $1327.00 on their site. About time something worked out easy for this garage.

GregWeld
08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Contractors suck.

I've got a buddy that has been doing all my stuff for about 20 years now... he builds custom homes - in the millions per.... and doesn't do remodels etc - but he has "people".... and has them come over and do whatever I need. Otherwise I think I just wouldn't have anything done. You hear more horror stories about guys taking deposits and never showing up - or never finishing - or doing crap work.

Get references and when you talk to those references -- ask them how they got the guy - and if he worked for their friends - ask for their names etc and talk to them... 'cause the guy is only going to give you HAPPY customers ---- and you want to find ALL his customers to really check them out.

War
08-16-2010, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=GregWeld;301398]Contractors suck.

Normally, I would take offense to that generalization.

GregWeld
08-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Jason --

I know it's a broad brush.... but there are so many lawyer jokes for a good reason... and the contractor brush is wide because there is good reason. The problem for joe public is finding a good one and if you don't, you're stuck. One of my brother in laws is a contractor. Not one single person in the family would use him - if he was free... We call him "20 minute job". Everything he looks at only takes 20 minutes. Unfortunately for him - it also looks like it. :rofl:

There should be a contractors group where only the good contractors can get in -- so the public has a place to go to find good ones.

My neighbor found out about "bonding" when their contractor built their custom home... which turned out to be a complete disaster... as in - they had to re-do the siding - the windows - the roof and much of the electrical. The "bond" (which the contractors always point out in their advertising "we're bonded"!) is for a lousy 4 grand. When they sued for recovery - he just folded the business and started a new one under a different name. They also discovered that while they need "inspections" at each step along the way... they mean nothing and the inspectors have ZERO liability.

waynieZ
08-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Its like the economy is running at full tilt. We know its not so why say your interested if your not? I got a guy to give me a price to do the foundation. These contractors said let me get my guy to give you a price, I said ok. Not one called to come see the job, but in the mean time I'm holding off getting it put in. Now who knows how long I'll have to wait for the guy that gave me the price to be freed up to do it. It just wears you down.

GregWeld
08-17-2010, 11:13 AM
If a guy can't call you back - and be johnny on the spot - find someone else. Busy is busy... I don't mind waiting for a guy that is busy. Busy is good. But not calling back - not updating - not living up to what he said he'd do.... YOU'RE FIRED. No - let me rephrase that - you're not fired - because you're not going to be hired to start with.

Fluid Power
08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Good guys are busy. But not returning phone calls is only the tip of the ice berg!

Darren

ccracin
08-17-2010, 11:54 AM
If a guy can't call you back - and be johnny on the spot - find someone else. Busy is busy... I don't mind waiting for a guy that is busy. Busy is good. But not calling back - not updating - not living up to what he said he'd do.... YOU'RE FIRED. No - let me rephrase that - you're not fired - because you're not going to be hired to start with.

Amen Brother!

My Dad was in construction all his life and is disgusted when he sees how people get treated! He started as a carpenter and worked into the role of Commercial Superintendent. He always did small contracting on the side and never advertised. He had to turn away as much work as he did. He has been retired for 8 years and hasn't done side work in 10, but still gets calls. It's all about being polite, responsive and doing a good job for a fair price! My buddy right now wants to build a garage and just like you Wayne, he sent out requests for bid to 3 companies 3 weeks ago. He has received 1 call and no visits. I have seriously considered starting my own contracting business. When times are a bit better, you never know!

Seriously Wayne, I hope you get it worked out. This has been a tough road. Between building a car and doing this, I don't know how you stay out of the funny farm. :thumbsup:

waynieZ
08-17-2010, 02:11 PM
I didn't . I only have computer access when I take my meds. lol

waynieZ
08-24-2010, 01:08 AM
I called a contractor last Wednesday, he finaly called on Saturday. He was on vacation said he would be here 12pm Monday. He was here right on time. We discused the garage for 1/2 hour. He looked at the plans with me,seemed to be knoledgable . Already knew about the wind rating we needed. He made a good impression. When he left shook my hand and said thank you for considering me for the job. He said he will have a price early next week. So far he's way ahead of the other guys. I felt comfortable talking to him. He has a good rep. I hope this guys price is good.
One of the other guys was suposed to come by Sat. He called said he was sick would call Sunday and still nothing today. This is almost 5 weeks. and still hasn't given me a price.

tones2SS
08-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Good luck with that contractor Wayne. I hope everything works out well for you bud!:thumbsup: :cheers:

awr68
08-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I truely feel for ya Wayne! Wish I was closer! Best of luck! :cheers:

Greg, we all don't suck! But I do hear where you are coming from!! ;) :D

itsals1
08-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Wayne, I'm in the garage door buisness and I wanted to let you know you are going to have to take in account that when you add additional weight to your garage door the springing also needs to be changed. The Clopay model 4300 is a great door!! When you add you add additional struts you are adding about 5-10 lbs of extra weight, per strut, depending on the gauge of steel the strut is made with. If you decide to go ahead and install it with the addtional struts you are going to have a hard time balancing the door and you are shorting your spring life. Springs are usually a 10,000 cycle which means 1 cycle is a up and a down. If you have any questions just let me know.

Travis

waynieZ
08-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks everyone
Thanks Travis Don't be suprised to hear from me.lol

GregWeld
08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
I truely feel for ya Wayne! Wish I was closer! Best of luck! :cheers:

Greg, we all don't suck! But I do hear where you are coming from!! ;) :D

Yes you do! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

LOL

Seriously -- my buddy Mark is a GREAT contractor.... pro active - knows his details - gets great subs - and rides 'em like a pony... but great contractors are few and far between. And finding the great one is the hard part. Once you do - you recommend them - and you use them for years!

waynieZ
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
If this guy is as gunhoe as he's starting out. I'll be very happy. Its going to be a long week waiting for him to call back.

greycamaro
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
having had two homes remolded,I would reccomed getting a contract for the work you need. don't make the last payment till you are satisfied. they want come back.

nvr2fst
09-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Looks like things arent going your way from the last time we talked. Hang in there buddy.

OOCustoms
09-04-2010, 11:05 PM
well i hope everything works out well and always make sure you are satisfied with the work done before paying.

Im a roofing contractor here in california so if you need any roof help just PM me. Im also a member of a the www.roofing.com forum which has several good roofers on there from all over. if i cant help you, i can definitely get you help on there. when i comes to roofing your place all i can say is you get what you pay for so dont slack on the shopping for a good roofer. I can probably help find you one as well. Its one of the most important parts of your house.

so if you have any and i mean ANY questions regarding roofing just let me know and i can help you out. One other thing is roofing is very regional so some regions use cheap vents and so so materials. Out here in california we try very hard to use the newest or best roofing materials and accessories possible that you might not see out there but can get if you know about it. good luck and hope i can help!

Marc

waynieZ
09-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys it's been such a strugle to get some one. I'm giving this last guy some slack because of the hurricane threat we had . Maybe he was buttoning something up to prep for the storm. We'll see.
OOCustoms Thanks for the offer I may take you up on it.
Wayne

OOCustoms
09-06-2010, 01:16 AM
hell pay my way and some pocket change and id even be willing to come out and help you roof it! I love to travel.

like i said just Pm me if you have any question big or small.

cheapta
09-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Wayne-I feel your pain,Brother!! I'm in SE Mass,we put a huge addition on the house 5-6 years ago (I say 5-6 because it Honest-To-God took that long for it to be done!!). I had contractors at the time that never called me back,came and looked at the job,took a set of plans and we never heard from them again. The guy we settled on turned out to be a joke-shoddy work,took forever,his subs were stealing stuff-just a nitemare.
Anyway,fast forward five years and we're looking to get a driveway paved.I called 4 guys-two never even called me back. Finally a landscaper friend recommended his guy and he was great-very prompt and did a great job for a more than fair price. It was a relief after the addition debacle.
Not sure where in MA you are but if you need any paving done in the Attleboro, Taunton, Rehoboth area let me know-I got a guy....

waynieZ
09-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Well talked to another contractor today. This one I've known scense he was 6 years old. his father was a contractor and was very good at it. This guy grew up working with his father and is a hard worker and very good also. He builds houses by himself and hires guys when he needs the extra help. Not just anybody but guys with their own buisnesses who count on him for some of their work. I went to his house it was very well built. and saw two others he built in the same development. Plus he's a car guy. lol He's coming by to see the house and get a set of plans I have to copy for him. He has a house lined up to build but has down time before its ready for him. He did my friends house and is there everyday and drives himself like a rented mule.
He had just got back from Englishtown race way with his 70 Buick Grand sport.Full tube chassis and a 525 buick motor. He won fastest time for a V8 in qualifying got into the finals but broke out. I forgot his time but he said he carried the wheels up for quite a few car lenghts and still did 146 on the big end. He's a real worker so I'm hopeing it works out with him.

Revved
09-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I wonder if there is a contractors forum somewhere where they are grumbling about taking their cars into custom shops :lol:

Seems like its just hard to find quality people in any business where organization, customer service, and talent is required. Too many bozos in the contractor business just like the custom car business trying to cash in on people with more money than knowledge about what they want.

I've dealt with it more than once since moving down to TX. Had a contractor flake out on pouring the back driveway- fortunately we were smart enough to pay as he went but some of what he poured was cracking within a year. I had to hire another guy to come in and finish it but fortunately the second guy was awsome. That was about 3 years ago, we've referred him to several people, and now I'm using him to pour the foundation for the garage i'm getting ready to build.

If you find someone good take care of him and find out who he trusts to use for other work. Just like our business- word of mouth goes a long way!

waynieZ
09-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Well it looks like I have found a contractor I know and trust. Its the guy I mentioned in the last post I made. I talked to him at his house Monday ( which he built himself ) He said he would come by and see the job site. He came by Tuesday and we talked for about a half hour. He took a set of plans and said he would get back to me at the end of the week. Well he called Saturday morning and asked if he could talk to me some time during the day and he had a price. I asked if I go see him later in the day He agreed. When I got to his house he gave me the price. It was close to what I expected , until he told me it was also to re roof the rest of the front part of the house and do the rest of the front of the house to match the garage. I feel its a good price. Another contractor is suposed to give me a price. I don't think he will be close.
The guy who gave me the price can start as soon as I get the building permit, which I already started the process. He is building another house to sell later but is in no hurry to start because the slow market.
I don't know if its worth waiting to see the other guys price.

67ragtp
09-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Wayne- Thats great news!, the fact that you know this guy, know his reputation/family, seen his recent work is a huge plus, sounds like a no brainer. Bust out the nail guns and getter done before that camaro comes home.
Rich

GregWeld
09-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Hope it all works out for ya Wayne!

Remember this - even if you like the guy - work out a pay as you go contract so IF in case it isn't going so well... you have some recourse.

NOVA
09-12-2010, 11:24 AM
One good note I found a Clopay Premium 4300 insulated door for less than half price. I got the door , 16x8' with no windows, an extra panel with insulated windows with the inserts, a Liftmaster 3800 door opener with 2 remotes 1 keypad plus what comes with it,all tracks and hardware to install it, the seals for around the door. I need a wind rated door for 110mph the door is rated 90 mph so it needs extra struts for across the door where there aren't any. so I bought some from him. I needed 3 he gave me 4or 5 with all the hardware to install them, all for $962.00 Just the door not wind rated without windows is $1327.00 on their site. About time something worked out easy for this garage.

Thats a good price on the door, I have been quoted 700.00 installed for an UNinsulated door, no opener the one I have is new, so we are going to use that one.... anyways can you send that guy out here to the west coast! ... good luck with your house.

waynieZ
09-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys. This takes a lot of pressure off.

Flash68
09-13-2010, 02:58 AM
what a pain in the arse... hope this guy does you good Wayne.

waynieZ
09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
This is a good day.
First thing this morning I called "my contractor". Boy it feels good to be able to say that! I told him he had the job, so we will get together to finalize everything. He's ready to start right away and so am I.
I went down to get the permit and was expecting something to go wrong scense everything else went so smooth. :willy: lol When I got to the building department there was one inspector, I hit the lottery, Nice guy. He looked over the application and helped me with some of the information I needed from there. Fifteen minutes later I was leaving with my permit.
It went so smooth I couldn't believe it. I can't wait to get started!

scherp69
09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Glad to hear that Wayne. Make sure you post some pics of the transformation. It's always nice to see a new shop going into place. Can't wait to see more pics of your car also...looks amazing so far.

GregWeld
09-13-2010, 06:12 PM
LOL --- GREAT WAYNE!!

There is a god.... EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No I'm not religious -- but sometimes when things go so right -- you just have to thank somebody!! :rofl: :rofl:

waynieZ
09-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Amen Brother !!!!!!!!!!