PDA

View Full Version : Unadvertised secret abilities

BAILEIGH INC
08-11-2010, 08:28 AM
What products have you discovered work for things not intended by the company that made them?

As an example oven cleaner for cleaning greasy parts.

Coke (the cola) for cleaning off battery corrosion.

OLDFLM
08-11-2010, 08:31 AM
WD-40 will take the green paint off my garage door where some kid tagged it while I was sleeping! :thumbsup:

CamaroAJ
08-11-2010, 09:53 AM
with some minor sanding a master bearing race installer doubles as a LSx cam bearing installer. it worked better than my cam bearing installer.

i did find out that a pickle fork does not work as the name inplys but does work good on balljoints:lol:

this snap on (bluepoint) hand vacuum doubles as a cannon if you take the bag off.:thumbsup:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/objects_lg/62700/62607.JPG

GregWeld
08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
DRANO CRYSTALS -- Sold in a CAN for about $3 at Lowes or Home Depot. Use it for stripping anodizing off fittings.... Mix up a batch in a plastic bucket - add water.... string the fitting on something (I use bent welding fill rods) and dip them and strip them. It takes a FEW SECONDS..... if you have the mix 'right' -- if it doesn't start boiling -- add more crystals....

Warning -- do not breathe the fumes! LOL -- ask me how I know... :D

lhkustoms
08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Warning -- do not breathe the fumes! LOL -- ask me how I know... :D

Greg you are too funny!!! :D
Always learning the hard way huh. :lol:

AM.MSCL
08-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Someone on Corvette Forum has been talking about Cerma Clean for tail pipes!

ccracin
08-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Dial calipers as an adjustable wrench and micrometers as C-clamps! :wow: :faint:

Not me, but i've seen it! :willy:

ccm399
08-11-2010, 05:58 PM
My Boss at the machine shop I worked at used to say "a machine (or tool) is only as limited as the operator". I have taken those words to heart in everything I do. The tool or machine has no idea you are not using it for what it is "supposed" to be used for!

For instance, did you know you can open up the center holes in Corvette rotors to fit over 9" Ford axles with a boring bar? All the boring bar knows is it is boring a hole, it really could care less if it is a Small Block Chevy cylinder or a Corvette rotor it just makes a straight round hole.

EZ off oven cleaner works to take anodizing off too.

Chris

ccm399
08-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Dial calipers as an adjustable wrench and micrometers as C-clamps! :wow: :faint:

Not me, but i've seen it! :willy:

That's not how you are supposed to use them? :rofl: Scary but I have seen it too. Of course that same person would be the one to accuse us of turning his crank to the wrong dimensions! :rolleyes:

Chris

GregWeld
08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Used this little trick today as a matter of fact -- when working on these old pieces of crap (said lovingly) lots of times the trim screw holes are worn out - and that leads to loose trim - or rattles etc. Yeah - you can buy "oversize screws" but who has them when you need them?

So....... I drill out the holes (even the good ones anymore and do this just as a matter of course to every hole) and shove the proper size plastic expansion anchor in the hole - then attach the trim. The screw will hold tight - and won't loosen on you!

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Weatherpack%20crimper/plastic1.jpg

DOOM
08-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Used this little trick today as a matter of fact -- when working on these old pieces of crap (said lovingly) lots of times the trim screw holes are worn out - and that leads to loose trim - or rattles etc. Yeah - you can buy "oversize screws" but who has them when you need them?

So....... I drill out the holes (even the good ones anymore and do this just as a matter of course to every hole) and shove the proper size plastic expansion anchor in the hole - then attach the trim. The screw will hold tight - and won't loosen on you!

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad33/gregweld/Weatherpack%20crimper/plastic1.jpg

I'm tellin ya this guy knows his shzt!!!:hail: Greg I told Tony we had to get your butt out for dinner this year at SEMA !! I have to hear how many more tricks you have!!!!!

GregWeld
08-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Dinner -- you bet!

I'm a one trick pony buddy... don't get too wound up. :rofl: