PDA

View Full Version : Need some help choosing a color

almcbri
12-21-2005, 11:11 PM
The car is now going to be rolling into the paint shop sooner than expected.
I need some help. Choosing the right color has been a problem since day one of my restoration on this car. Any color suggestions would be great. I will set up a poll also. A friend is helping me jamb the car and paint the firewall and dash, then she will be ready for the painter to complete the rest of the paintwork.
I am going to get started Monday morning so I need to get on the ball a bit.
Thanks guys

ProdigyCustoms
12-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Well, you know what they say about opinions....... But you asked. Personally, I am a bit afraid the Burnt Oranges and Tangelo's so popular right now may turn into the Miami vice teals, magenta's and purples of days past. Those oranges seem to be a bit of a fad right now. As a 25 year painter, I have seen nice reds and blues stay strong, always favorites of the masses. While I am not a fan of either red or blue, they are somewhat eternal. For me, for a one color car with possibly stripes, if I was considering a orange, I would look at Hugger orange and pay a little respect to the cars heritage. Personally I do not think there are enough Hugger Orange cars. I feel the same about Daytona Yellow or slight variants of those colors.

But with all that said, as of today, The Milf Project is scheduled to be a trend chaser and go a two tone Tangelo and Charcoal. But I also know the painter and can change one color in a weekend.

race-rodz
12-22-2005, 12:33 AM
im with frank....... timeless colors are the way to go(if ya really like that shiny hi maint stuff :D )

but.... if "trendy" is what your lookin for.... look to bright greens, earth tone greens, dark greens..... they are starting to show up in the sport truck scene...meaning they will trickle down to street rods and hot rods soon enough.

tangelo and burnt oranges were a huge hit in the sport truck scene 3-4 years ago, and just recently have become "trendy" on the rest of the custom crowds.

OR..... go retro........ paint it pastel teal with magenta stripes.... dont forget the pink polo shirt and white miami vice jacket :_paranoid on 2nd thought...forget that...im kickin my own ass for even thinkin it

Payton King
12-22-2005, 01:57 PM
I agree with all of the above. Even on style as in 2-tone paint schemes, I really like them, but every Foose car has had one and as much as I would like one, I feel it will date my car in a few years.

I like primary colors on 1st gens. I looked at a lot of yellows and decided to paint mine Viper Racing Yellow. Chrome yellow is nice as well. I was close to hugger orange, but yellow won out.

If you are going to sell the car paint it red or black. I know everyone has a red, but that is because it looks so good. My car was red for 10 years and I never got tired of it...

Y-TRY
12-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Mine is '91 Corvette Competition Yellow, but if I were to change I'd go Hugger.

My vote is for Hugger Orange.

Another color I saw on a '69, which looked suprisingly good, was a late model pewter color, but I realize that's not on your list, either.

So, since I like Hugger, and am a Longhorn fan, living in Austin, the closest in your list would be burnt orange.

TravisB
12-22-2005, 04:47 PM
i'm with race-rodz.....earth tones are hot right now! But it's your car and you have to live with it...I went through several before deciding on the colors for my car!

HOK crimson red is a nice bright color.... :D

Derek69SS
12-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Nothing wrong with BLUE :yes:

Ralley Green would be cool too :)

rwhite692
12-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Just my $.02 on colors on first-gens...

IMO, These cars have some really defined body lines and creases (esp in 69) and so, bright metallics with fine metallic particles really work especially well on them.

One thing I like to do is, when considering a color that was not an available original color on that particular vehicle, I ask myself "if the designers of this car were sitting around a table in 196X looking at color samples...would the color that I'm considering today have had a shot at making it, as one of the factory available colors? ...just one more way to look at it...

I have tended to be somewhat "conservative" with color choices. I have heard quite a few people with cars painted with various wild colors say that after a short while they "got sick of" the color...

That being said...I'm sick of "conservative" colors now, and this time I'm going more "wild" :D -Rob

almcbri
12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys for the input on color choices. I finally chose a color, but you will just have to wait until you see the pictures. I think it will turn out great. She roles to the booth monday morning. I will be at the body shop all week helping out and at the same time trying not to get in the way.

Well............back to the shop to finish sanding! stay tuned!

XcYZ
12-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the booth-fresh paint pics.

mazspeed
12-28-2005, 07:35 PM
My car is still in paint, but I went with the Subaru Blue Pearl with the Nissan Gray rally stripes. I have not seen the finished product as of yet, but it should look like Steve Rupp's old 69RS. That's where I got the idea for that color.

JayR
12-28-2005, 07:42 PM
I also have the Subaru blue pearl on my car but I added a darker Ford blue to it to darken it up a little and I love it. Just took the cans and mixed 2 parts Subaru with 1 part Ford to make 1 gallon so there's lots left if I ever need it.

almcbri
12-28-2005, 09:54 PM
the dash, firewall, core support and all the other misc. parts were painted today in Gloss Black. Still a little more wet sanding on the body, but I am going to give the car 2 days to cure in my shop before sanding the black.

Well I didn't go with subaru blue, but it is a sharp Color. My boat on on my photobucket page is subaru blue. That blue tends to change colors according to the light.
Steve's car turned out great with the blue and gray stripes, I imagine your car will look great Mazspeed. I think everyone tends to follow the trail of steve's cars. First the subaru blue, now the burnt orange. There are a lot of nice colors out there!