PDA

View Full Version : How close can brake lines be to headers?

rallye455
07-25-2010, 08:31 PM
How close is acceptable for the hard brake lines to be near the headers? I know they should be as far away as possible but I just want to make sure they are far enough away to prevent problems in the future but dont have alot of room to reroute them.

Apogee
07-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Anything less than a couple of inches and there is ample reason for concern. If the headers are ceramic coated or wrapped, then you can easily be quite close without (m)any issues with the headers being the direct cause, however the cooler the better when it comes to brake fluid. How close are you?

Tobin
KORE3

rallye455
07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Without completely redoing the line the most I could possibly get is 1/2".

Apogee
07-26-2010, 06:25 PM

Can you make some sort of thin sheet metal heat-shield? If so, that's going to be your best bet in that sort of situation. Stainless steel has a lower heat transfer coefficient and would be preferable over steel or aluminum, however anything would be better than what you've got now. Ceramic header coatings are decent at keeping the heat inside the headers and out of the engine compartments, so that's something to consider as well if your headers have something other than a thermal barrier coating.

In a pinch, aluminum HVAC tape can work as a decent reflective heat barrier when the primary mode of heat transfer is radiation. It just doesn't tend to stay in place long enough to be considered a permanent type of solution.

Tobin
KORE3

rallye455
07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
what about covering the brake line with a cover such as those from heatshieldproducts

Apogee
07-28-2010, 08:41 AM
what about covering the brake line with a cover such as those from heatshieldproducts

They have several products I would consider depending on whether you're hoping to shield the brake line or wrap the headers or both. Post up what you end up using and how well it works for you if you don't mind as this seems to come up every once in a while.

Tobin
KORE3

parsonsj
07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
The most you can get is 1/2"? :eek: I think you should be planning on re-doing the line. Heat shields and the like can help, but 1/2" is just always going to be a problem.

jp

GregWeld
07-28-2010, 10:55 PM

REDO it then...

:cheers:

ProdigyCustoms
07-29-2010, 08:18 AM
This is one of thos "If you have to ask you already know the answer"