PDA

View Full Version : Hydroboost Install question.......

protour73
07-17-2010, 08:12 AM
I just picked up a new Hydroboost system for my '73 Camaro. I have been scouring all of the threads on this subject, to reduce the number of potential problems others had, so this will probably be be the first of many posts by me......hopefully not!! LOL

The first couple questions I had were concerning the low pressure return line to the PS pump. In this thread http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=15052 Scott shows a fuel cell bulkhead fitting installed on the reservoir of his PS pump.

question #1 - fitting is installed ABOVE normal fluid level? At what point is the 'normal fluid level" determined?

question #2 - approximate PS fluid needed for the entire system once the HB is installed and seasoned? PS fluid recommendations? Royal Purple, GM, etc?

question #3 - to replace that brass 90* fitting (low pressure return line to PS pump?) what size is the thread size on the HB unit?

question #4 - I have a brand new Saginaw-style PS pump, will this pump be adequate for the HB system? Have read that the cap needs to be vented, how is this accomplished, just by simply drilling a small diameter hole in the cap? could it potentially leak from this hole?

I hugely appreciate any and all feedback on this.......in advance THANKS

Scott

orangevert
07-17-2010, 10:10 AM
I'll be watching this one.... Good luck

Kirk

Hydratech®
07-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Is this a Hydratech produced system? It sounds like it could be per the description of the brass nipple? If it is, then I feel better about spending time providing tech, if not, well, I'll still help out the Lat-G guys :thumbsup:

* The brake assist unit will only exhaust anywhere from one to three tablespoons of fluid "back home to the PS pump reservoir" every time you let off of the brakes (depending upon how deeply you apply the brakes), so the location of this extra return nipple in the reservoir is of no consequence - you can put it anywhere you like. Do note that you MUST run the low pressure return line from the steering gear back to the original LP return nipple on the PS pump reservoir (as this is critical).

* One quart is typically all it takes on a PS system that has already been running. More will be needed on a completely dry all brand new PS pump and steering gear (get two quarts). The Royal Purple Max Ez PS fluid is our recommendation these days (not the trans fluid). http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RPO-01326/?rtype=10

* The thread size is 5/16-24, and you can obtain HBS9101 as an alternate replacement on this page: http://www.hydratechbraking.com/hose_fittings.html#TXTOBJ7DAB01CF20281380

* A stock full size Saginaw P pump is plenty enough to run this system, and stock type replacement caps for these pumps are already vented.

:lateral:

protour73
07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Is this a Hydratech produced system? It sounds like it could be per the description of the brass nipple? If it is, then I feel better about spending time providing tech, if not, well, I'll still help out the Lat-G guys :thumbsup:

* The brake assist unit will only exhaust anywhere from one to three tablespoons of fluid "back home to the PS pump reservoir" every time you let off of the brakes (depending upon how deeply you apply the brakes), so the location of this extra return nipple in the reservoir is of no consequence - you can put it anywhere you like. Do note that you MUST run the low pressure return line from the steering gear back to the original LP return nipple on the PS pump reservoir (as this is critical).

* One quart is typically all it takes on a PS system that has already been running. More will be needed on a completely dry all brand new PS pump and steering gear (get two quarts). The Royal Purple Max Ez PS fluid is our recommendation these days (not the trans fluid). http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RPO-01326/?rtype=10

* The thread size is 5/16-24, and you can obtain HBS9101 as an alternate replacement on this page: http://www.hydratechbraking.com/products_old/accessories.html

* A stock full size Saginaw P pump is plenty enough to run this system, and stock type replacement caps for these pumps are already vented.

:lateral:Yes indeed Paul, it is a genuine Hydratech unit. Thanks for checking in and answering my questions!!!

Can those fitting be purchased from you directly? or from the Authorized Sellers like CPP and Summit.

Scott

Hydratech®
07-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Yes - the fittings can be purchased directly from us on this page by simply clicking the Add to cart button. CPP may have some of the HBS9101 in stock, but I this would likely be greek to Summit Racing.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/hose_fittings.html

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/hose_fittings.html#TXTOBJ7DAB01CF20281380

HBS9101 is the AN6 adapter for use in place of the standard brass low profile return line nipple.

protour73
07-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks again Paul........ I will get an order together.

I will post up a thread of the entire install, with some modifications so other can see how easy it is to install this unit and go out and buy one! :thumbsup:

Scott

Hydratech®
07-22-2010, 01:51 PM
I will post up a thread of the entire install, with some modifications so other can see how easy it is to install this unit and go out and buy one!

That would be outstanding! :woot:

bigtyme1
05-25-2014, 10:47 PM
That would be outstanding! :woot:

Paul, are you and Jim still with hydro boost ? I having a few issues with foam and a noisy pump when I hit the brakes or turn the wheel. Worked great for the first year but started to get noisy last year

Hydratech®
05-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Yes - we are here :happy23:

It sounds to me like your PS fluid may be in need of a transfusion as a step towards getting the power steering pump to quiet back down. Here is a "quick / fast / easy" that you could try before you do anything else:

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-198/LUBEGARD+Power+Steering+Fluid+Protectant

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7652618_0361129609

Below is a peek at a new tech entry that we will eventually get published up onto the website regarding fluid / flush procedures:

Today’s synthetic PS fluids, such as the Royal Purple MaxEz or the Redline PS fluid are absolutely fantastic, though you do not have to run the synthetics. As far as fluid, trans fluid will work from a basic operational standpoint, but has nowhere near the lubricity that PS fluid does, and is not designed to run at the higher pressures found in a power steering system. Case in point: If you were to add PS fluid to your auto trans, it wouldn’t be long before it started slipping, proving out that PS fluid has much better lubricating qualities. The hydroboost unit itself won’t experience all too much wear, but the PS pump and steering gear need the extreme pressure additives found in PS fluid to prevent accelerated wear. You do not have to worry about purging every last drop of ATF out of the PS system, as the fluids will mix acceptably. I do recommend you get the system up and running, then flush the PS system out using this procedure below.

If you intend to install one of our hydraulic brake assist systems, please check your fluid for any possible contamination / fluid discoloration prior to installation. If you find the fluid dark / generally discolored, please flush the PS system thoroughly using the following procedures before installing your new Hydratech hydraulic brake assist system:

Disconnect the low pressure return hose from the push on hose nipple at the PS fluid reservoir and cap it with a suitable rubber 3/8 vacuum cap. Now run the low pressure return line from the steering box / rack into a 5 gallon bucket via a cheap store bought section of 3/8 rubber hose. You will also need a substantial amount of fluid to run through the system, in some cases up to 10-12 quarts (major waste of fluid though). What you do then is raise the front wheels off the ground securely, then fill the PS pump all the way up to the very top. Then fire up the engine only briefly - maybe 2-3 seconds only. You will then find that the hose running into your bucket has dumped out the old dark / discolored fluid, and has also very quickly sucked the PS pump dry within the short run time. The above procedure pushes clean fluid through the steering box without allowing any muck to possibly return back to the PS pump. Repeat this procedure until the clean new fluid is not changing color much when entering the bucket. Once you see reasonably clear fluid, you will now fill the pump again, but instead of running the engine this time you will now hop in the vehicle and steer full right to full left about 10 times (with the engine off). This is going to help agitate some of the muck loose inside of the box. Now have a helper ready to top off the ps pump as needed (be VERY careful of moving parts when running please - especially flex fan equipped rides!) Start the engine up and cycle the steering back and forth while your helper is continuously feeding the pump fresh fluid at the same time. Do this until the fluid runs absolutely clean and clear out of the hose dumping into your bucket.

Now temporarily install a PS fluid filter (AC Delco '95-'99 Cadillac FWD applications or AC/Delco PF883 or Magnefine / suitable equivalent) into this temporary long low pressure return line. Connect your long temporary return line hose back to the PS pump low pressure return nipple on the reservoir. Fill the pump up, start the engine up and let it idle for a few moments. Shut the engine down, lower the vehicle back down onto the ground, recheck your fluid level. With the front wheels on the ground, start the engine and now rev it up a few times, then return to idle. Now that it is hot and idling, cycle the steering back and forth about 25 times, and bounce it off the steering stops a few times to fully load / pressurize the box. At this point, you have probably mowed though untold amounts of fluid, and *should* be seeing nothing but clean and clear fluid in the reservoir. If you are still seeing discoloration, repeat all of the above steps all over again until you see nothing but clean / clear fluid.

If you are still concerned about further possible muck still hiding in the system, (that could contaminate and hurt your new hydraulic brake assist system), you may re-plumb the system to run a filter between the low pressure return port of the steering box and the low pressure return nipple on the reservoir for about a 100 miles of road use. Whatever contaminants may still be hiding in the steering system will definitely come out within a 100 miles of actual road use. Once you have completely and conclusively arrived at a perfectly clean PS system, you may remove the filter and carry on normally (with no filter as intended by the factory). Or? You could retain the use of a filter long term, though this will be your choice. Once the system is clean, there really is no direct need for a filter (as the factory didn't install one either), though it arguable that it should have one - you be the judge. The reason why we don't particularly recommend PS filters is because they are generally somewhat restrictive to flow (especially when the fluid is cold), which can cause strain on the ps pump = heat. Of course a trick piece like the Lee Manufacturing billet filter can be permanently installed, as you can periodically take it apart and clean it out / inspect it + it flows like Niagara Falls...

We have observed that some automotive service centers and quick lube shops are now starting to offer PS system flush services. This is excellent news, as the PS systems are the most neglected subsystems, usually never being serviced until it is WAY too late (failure has already occurred). The same basic positive displacement/ replacement technology that has been successfully used to perform transmission fluid flushes over the years has now also been applied to PS systems these days also, and is a wise investment to consider on ANY vehicle. Do it at home or have it done by a shop when the fluid starts to discolor, as the steering systems will thank you in the long run. With fleets that perform scheduled routine PS system flushes, we have seen highly abused work trucks go over 400,000 miles without any PS system failures! Just do it!

Fluid recommendation? We advise the use of Royal Purple MaxEz or the Redline synthetic PS fluid, though just about any quality fluid recommended for your vehicle will do just fine. Service intervals? This will vary, usually recommended when the fluid starts to discolor or every 25,000 miles / 2-3 years.

Feel free to call: http://www.hydratechbraking.com/contact.html

hot72rod
02-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Paul, im getting ready to hook up a hydro boost system in my car. Can you recommend a powersteering pump that doesn't have a remote reservoir? Just a little back gound first. 73 pontiac firebird with a 6.0 LQ4 and with the brackets I have I can not use one from a truck that came with hydro boost from the factory.

gray86hatch
02-17-2015, 05:40 PM
I see you mentioned a vented cap.

I am using a c6 vette pump with holley brackets and I think I have air issues but it i have not taken the time to bleed it again.

Just want to make sure I dont need tomvent the cap.

Tim