PDA

View Full Version : Please help - Harmonic Balancer Removal

Boulder69
12-20-2005, 05:19 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do I remove the harmonic balancer on my 95 LT1? When I try to loosen any of the three bolts that hold the balancer/pulley to the hub, it just turns the crank. Is there something I am missing here like a special tool to hold the hub while I remove the balancer/pulley? Then how do I loosen the center hub bolt without turning the crank? Thanks to all in advance. -eric

907rs
12-20-2005, 05:35 PM
I've always had good luck using a ton of torque, (by hand) and applying it quickly. If that doesn't work for you, this (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=12061&group_ID=1619&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog) tool will hold the crank in place.

camcojb
12-20-2005, 05:50 PM
They have tools that hold the flywheel to loosen the balancer bolt. Usually an Autozone will loan/rent the tool needed.

Also remember that on an LT1 the hole in the middle for the crank bolt is much smaller than a standard small block balancer, so a regular balancer puller doesn't work as it bottoms out on the balancer instead of the crank itself. I have used a 7/16 fine-thread bolt threaded into the end of the crank with a gap between it and the balancer, and then setup the puller to push off the head of the bolt.

Jody

130fe
12-20-2005, 08:23 PM
If I remember right, the last time I did it I removed the 3 bolts holding it on and just tapped it from the back side leaving the hub on. Just take a block of wood and tap it from behind. It came off fairly easily. I was replacing my optispark/water pump. Be sure to reference/mark where the balancer comes off (mark 12 o'clock position) and replace it in the same position. I tried using a 3 jaw puller but I couldn't get it off with it. I bet GM has a correct "tool" but I got that info off of a post from www.cz28.com in the LT1 tech section. Here is the correct way to pull it: http://shbox.com/1/pull_pulley.jpg . I installed it by aligning it back up and using a block of wood and a mallet. Not technically correct but I didn't get to crazy with the mallet either. No problems with mine so far.

camcojb
12-20-2005, 09:45 PM
You are correct Chris, I was assuming he wanted the hub off.

Jody

Boulder69
12-20-2005, 10:34 PM
I do need the hub off as well 'cause I am doing a new water pump and opti. I also see that the wp drive shaft seal is leaking as well, so I gotta yank the timing cover off and get those three seals replaced as well. Any other tips would be appreciated.

What kind of engineer designs an expensive electronic distributor that mounts directly below countless sources of potential fluid leaks? Unemployed. Or maybe VP of marketing for all of the $$ made on optisparks......

130fe
12-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Good luck and be sure to use a GM optispark. Call Jason Cromer-parts guy at (Sam Taylor Cadillac) in Ft Walton Beach FL. The # is 800-498-2301. Ask for parts and then for him. Will save you $ with just ordering through him with shipping. I am local to him now, but when I wasn't he always gave good prices (better than local dealers.) He is well known in the LT1 "world". Let me know if you have anymore questions and I will try to help.