PDA

View Full Version : Any one building a Cuda?

Cuda1
12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
I am new to pro touring, but have been a drag racer/street racer for a number of years. I have decided that I am now going to go in a new direction with my 10" tire car. Anyone out there building an E-body? Any advice for tuning/running a ladder bar/ coilover on the street, and actually have the car handle (can't afford to swap out for a dedicated touring set up just yet). Any advice or pro touring knowledge on 1970-1974 Cuda's and Challengers would be great.

XcYZ
12-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the site, Cuda1. We definitely need more Mopars. :thumbsup: I'm sure there will be some guys chiming about your rear suspension.

lil427z
12-19-2005, 10:14 PM
welcome cuda1,
rick :thumbsup:

Merlin
12-22-2005, 03:08 PM
There is a place here in Hollister, California. Metal in Motion Fabrication. www.metalinmotionfab.com 831 636-6700 I saw them at a Good Guy show and they had this adjustable front control arm w/ heim joints for Mopar. Trick stuff. Their show car was a 66 or 67 b'cuda. Very sweet

TravisB
12-22-2005, 03:37 PM
there is no way to make the ladder bars corner well w/o binding.....it will move up and down great but roll bind will be pretty bad......this has been disscussed several times here try the search feature it will fill you in on rear suspension designs and intentions

welcome by the way :D

rwhite692
12-22-2005, 04:41 PM
My "neighbor" Ned Jackson (DRJDVM) just picked up a Cuda and is very excited about it...I'm sure he will chime in!

DRJDVM's '69
12-24-2005, 12:08 AM
That would be me :)

This is my first Mopar, so I've got alot to learn about whats out there and what works etc.

I do know that ladder bars wont work well if you want handling on the street :D

So far I havent found much as far as good "kits" for the rear suspension in the e-body. I've been in contact with Mark at Lateral Dynamics which is working on a Mopar project. They're planning on developing some suspension stuff for the front and rear for the Mopar, but nothing yet. Its still a work in progress from my understanding.

As far as front suspension.... ALterKations and Magnum Force are the ones I'm aware of at this point.

Once again, I'm very early in on this project and the mopar world in general, so I'm not much help right now.

I'd love to be in contact with you and we can bounce ideas off each other and share what we learn as the projects progress.

Ned

Mean 69
12-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Not a Cuda, but we are building a GTX clone off of a Satellite, and are using this to develop the suspension goodies that Ned spoke of. My first Mopar too, and so far it is pretty clear that Mopar did things a bit "different" than the other cars I have wrenched on, and more importantly, there is vast room for improvement on both ends of the suspension.

We are fab'ing up the rear suspension as I write this (yes, we work holidays too) and should have the B-Body rear suspension completed in about two more weeks, with another week behind to tool up the assembly fixtures and to get the laser cut production parts. It is a three link setup with coil-overs, and a Watt's linkage. Very similar to the Camaro stuff we have currently.

On the front, wow, where to begin. As I understand, the K-member on virtually all of the mid 60's to early 70's Mopar cars is the same, which we tip our hat to them for doing, makes our job a ton easier. Katz has the front geometry building blocks modelled up in software, we should have a basic replacement "K member" (although it won't resemble a "K" at all) in a couple of weeks. The plan is to have a prototype completed for the GTX project in the February timeframe, I am hoping to have the car on the road in late March. The Mopar products have our full attention right now, and this car is the one that has me fired up more than any other that we are working on right now.

Pic's very, very soon.
Mark

Cuda1
12-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I knew that the rear suspension would have to be changed out, but I was hoping to buy my self some time. I guess it will have to go back to the chassis shop (N.B.S. Performance Fabrication in Pinellas Park, Florida) to get a three/four link rear w/ air. I still hope to keep the stock wheelwell.

The front is definitely going to get a tubular K-member and coilovers. Magnumforce's kit is a bit more expensive than the AlterKation kit. Anybody have any experience with either? I have heard nothing but good things concerning Magnumforce products. Anything to get rid of those torsion bars and gain rack and pinion steering!

I am hoping to replace the front coilovers with Airide Tech. Shockwave bags.

Promise to post pics of my ride soon, (but not until it resembles a pro tourer).
I hope to sell alot of the drag race stuff to help pay for the tranformation.

Cuda1
12-24-2005, 04:00 PM
I almost forgot to thank everyone for the warm welcome.

Ned, hope to hear from you more, I have been into Mopars for ten years and know a bit about them, I am just new to this type of building. I have always thought about making my car more streetable, and now I have found the perfect way to do it and still have a scary fast ride. I hope to be of some help.

1970cuda
12-24-2005, 10:38 PM
magnum force has some nice front components. if you have money to burn try http://www.timemachinesinc.com/index.html. They have a bolt in rear irs and a complete front k member
good to see another mopar guy