PDA

View Full Version : WHOO HOOO Got APROVED FOR GARAGE BUILT !!!!

waynieZ
06-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Hi Everyone I was stressing for quite a while about going for this variance. We went last night and we got approved to build.... Let me tell you the plan. It will be attached to the front of my house which doesn't sound too good but nowhere else to fit it on my property. The dimentions are going to be 22' wide and 26' deep attached to the house with access on the front porch and to the back yard man doors The garage door will be either 16'x8' or 14'x8' not sure yet. Because my land slopes to the right to get it even with my gutter line the inside walls will be near 11.5 to 12'. Then I'm putting scissor trusses to get more height . I already have a Mr Heater in the cellar waiting to go in and I'm going to put a box for the A/C through the wall for future use. Not sure if Ill put in the side windows or not, but the builder said I could use the two from the bay window we're removing Their Anderson windows and in good shape. Inside will have a knee wall of about 2' and I'll make the floor thick in a spot incase I get a lift. Let me know what you guys think.
Here's the front of the house now. It will be redone with the garage build.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Hardcore454/Garage%20%20%20Progress%20pictures/Picture023-2.jpg
Heres the plan front view.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Hardcore454/Housepictures006.jpg
Here's the plan showing the left side
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Hardcore454/Housepictures007.jpg
Here's the right side.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Hardcore454/Housepictures005.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.
Wayne

214Chevy
06-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Congrats Wayne on the new garage. I'm in the same boat as you were. I need to build a detached garage for my toys as well and I've been stressing out over it for about a year now. Maybe on day I will be as fortunate and get it built too. Have fun with it.:woot: :woot:

OOCustoms
06-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I think the garage needs to be bigger! LOL... who needs a house or bedroom when you have a big garage and a creeper!

In all reality it looks good and im sure youll love the size of it! ITs actually a pretty good size for the size of your house...

Good luck and if you have any roofing questions let me know because ive been a roofer for over ten years and my dad is a licensed contractor he in california.

good luck

Marc

GregWeld
06-19-2010, 12:21 AM
SWEET!

Remember -- Stuff expands to fill the space allotted to it... Ask me how I know!

Nice design!

waynieZ
06-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks guys. I'm pretty well set on bedrooms the two upstairs are 20x13.6 each. Thanks for the help offer.

ccracin
06-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Very nice Wayne! Now just get it done for the Camaro's home coming!

HRBS
06-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Nice simple design. Doesnt look out of place at all !
Alot of people are turned off when they here the word "Variance".
Just be patient. Theres alot of paper pushing but unless you are proposing a Taj Mahal in the suburbs they usually get passed.
Congrats ! :thumbsup:

pokey64
06-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Remember -- Stuff expands to fill the space allotted to it... Ask me how I know!

Very true Greg! Our house came with a 2 stall attached we added a 3 stall detached a year ago and are kicking ourselves for not going twice as big. :faint:

Congrats on the approval Wayne! :thumbsup:

waynieZ
06-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys I'm super excited to get going on it.

Vegas69
06-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Good deal :thumbsup: I usually don't like front garages since damn near every house in Nevada has them, but that's really going to look great.

SSMuscle
06-20-2010, 05:22 PM
I think the garage needs to be bigger! LOL... who needs a house or bedroom when you have a big garage and a creeper!

:cheers:

waynieZ
06-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys. I waited a long time for this.

OLDFLM
06-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Plan looks GREAT Wayne!! Nice curb appeal too! :thumbsup:

Why not put the big center pane from the bay centered on the left side too? You've already got it and I'm sure the extra natural light would be nice as well as being able to get a cross breeze in there from time to time... just a thought...

awr68
06-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Congrats Wayne!! I know how long this has been in the works....and that makes it even more special!!

I like the idea of using the windows! I didn't add any for added secutiry and extra usable wall space inside....but I do miss not having natural light! Even sky lights can be a pluss!

When do you break ground?

waynieZ
06-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks
Tony I may put some sun tunnels in the ceiling for natural lifgt. Even if I can't afford them right away I'll have it all se up to just make the hole in the roof and ceiling to install. Too bad its such a long drive from your house. I will be needing some rock and finnish work later. lol
Wayne
Oldflm I might close in the porch so my wife will be able to walk right into a secure porch. We may use it in the east facing wall of the ( best viewed from right side view) porch if the designer says it will look ok. Also depending on budget too.

rwhite692
06-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Great news, Wayne! :thumbsup:

awr68
06-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks
Tony I may put some sun tunnels in the ceiling for natural lifgt. Even if I can't afford them right away I'll have it all se up to just make the hole in the roof and ceiling to install. Too bad its such a long drive from your house. I will be needing some rock and finnish work later. lol

You know I would be more than happy to help if I was a little closer! :cheers:

E.rodz
06-21-2010, 08:37 PM
congrats on the green light. now its time to do a little pre planing. like add some in floor heeat tubes in the concrete,even if you don't have the money for the heater now you can add it later.how about adding a pit in the floor for a mid rise lift.maybe a couple of double trusses for a beam to hang under for a mono rail crane. you should spend some time on garage journal.com to get more ideas.now is not the time to just hurry up and get it done its time to think of what you need it for in the future. hope everything goes well for you.

waynieZ
06-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks E.rods I just loged off GJ before coming here. lol I'm going to put pad in slab for a future lift.
I know you would Tony.

Northeast Rod Run
06-22-2010, 07:09 PM
that's awesome

I'm hoping to add on to my attached garage next year. I'm lucky that I won't need to worry about any variance, just have to worry about finding money to build it

Northeast Rod Run
06-22-2010, 07:12 PM
how about adding a pit in the floor for a mid rise lift.I believe pits are illegal in MA, at least in private residences

waynieZ
06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm going to brace the floor with extra concrete for a future lift. Can you park a car under a 2 post lift ? would it be safe long term? I have to share the garage with the boss.lol
Heres what I'm thinking of doing not set in stone. The door is 18x8 I'm changing it to maybe 16x8 for more side room for compressor. I'm going to use Clopay insulated with Liftmaster 3800 opener.
Let me know whaty you think.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Hardcore454/Garage%20%20%20Progress%20pictures/Housepictures013.jpg

GregWeld
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Wayne -- I park under my two post all the time... with or without cars on it. If it's empty - the arms are down and I just drive in between them... If I have it loaded -- I ALWAYS drop it down onto the locks.. taking the pressure off the hydraulic cylinders. I do this even if I'm just working under it.

Make sure you have the HEIGHT in the garage area for the lift you're looking at... most need at least 12' (if I remember right).

Make sure you get an ASYMMETRIC two post... clear floor... The asymmetric will let you position the car on the lift so that you can open the doors wide without hitting the lift. Very handy! - It also lets you put the lift "forward" a bit more than a symmetric lift - since it carries more of the car to the rear.

The other lift you may want to consider -- is an inground scissor lift.... which would create a flat floor (you'd have to plan for this NOW before construction)... and would have NO posts. They're not perfect - but nothing is.

There are also lifts that lift from the SIDE... so you could have all of the lift on one side of the garage --- again - not perfect -- but ANY lift is better than no lift at all! :cheers:

waynieZ
06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Greg with either scissor trusses or stick built with collar ties it will be more than 13' if all goes right.

waynieZ
06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
I just got off the phone with the architect with some fun news. It seems that Ma. just started new building code for my area. Sense I'm within 20 miles of the coast I need an engineer to stamp the plans. Were in a 110 mph zone. Not bad $250 I can live with that. But when he checked it out they decided with my wall height of 11'3" that I need shear walls. specifically for my wall height. More money , not sure how much. Their going to see if I make the foundation taller if it will let me scrape by on the wall type. The ones their talking about have metal in them plus different bolts to hold it down on the foundation. I figured it must be like Cali. standards. Plus sense my door isgoing to be 16x8 its a specific door because of the hieght over 6'8" It just gets better and better!

GregWeld
06-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Wayne --

Anyone that's ever done any additions or remodeling etc has multiple stories like this! It's the way this kind of stuff works.

Ask me about the "bridal trail" that is part of my property - that NOBODY knew about - including the city -- UNTIL I wanted to build the shed! Then somebody down at planning noticed a very faint dotted line across the back of my property and decided to look into it. Turns out - it's a "bridal trail easement" - 15' wide and running the width of the property. This can not be modified by the city - can not be given a variance - and the property can not be "disturbed" -- not even weeded! No digging it up - form a wall - and backfilling... no sir - DO NOT DISTURB.

Now -- there hasn't been a horse in the area since maybe 1942... but that doesn't matter. Doesn't matter that every neighbor - including me - has fences across it... and that the state cut a highway through what USED TO BE a horse trail... and that a 1/4 mile from me - in the way of said bridal trail - there's a 15' tall concrete wall (noise barrier for the highway).... NONE of that counts. I shalt not disturb!!

The "shed" had to be completely modified - to the point where I went from a stick framed 2250 sq foot (foot print) two story building - to a 1500 sq foot one story rectangle. BORING TO THE MAX compared to what was going to be built! But I have to say - it's still fun to go mess about in! :cheers: :woot:

I call this stuff -- "the voice of small authority"... The smaller the job, the bigger the authority. Doesn't make any difference that it doesn't make sense - there is NO THINKING done at city hall. In the end - they saved me about a quarter million bucks... and screwed themselves and the city out of many years of increased property taxes (due to valuation). :woot:

waynieZ
06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Greg it is fun isn't it! My neighbor across the street from me didn't want me to build the garage, but we are friends and we watch each other's house when that person is on vacation. So she told me she wouldn't sign in favor of it , but wouldn.t go fight it. She belongs to the neighborhood association. She said "they will never let you build it". I think thats what she was counting on. There were two people at the meeting contesting my build they had 32 signatures against me. It passed anyway. A coouple of days ago I saw one of the guys from the meeting in her yard with an envelope in his hands talking to her. I think they are going to try to get her to protest it.Thay have thirty four days . I don't know how they came up with the number. The building inspector told me he can give me the permit but if they protest it in court I will get a cease and decest order and I willhave to stop. Then if they would win I would have to return the property to its former state. So I'm waiting with bated breath!!!

awr68
06-30-2010, 10:46 PM
That's just wrong! From looking at what you had drawn up I think it will look great and actually increase the curb appeal! Just 33 more days...............................:faint:

FWIW, I went with the 8' tall doors and I'm really glad I did! It makes it possible to fit my truck in there and to be honest they just look better! I like your idea of going 18' wide....I have a 16' wide door and I think it's a little cramped pulling in and out at times if I have two cars in that part of the garage. I know it's standard...but still..............

tones2SS
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread??:question:
Congrats Wayne! That's great news. Maybe I'd be there when you guys are working on your car to pass the tools, beer, whatever!! Or just to drool over your car lolll....:lol:
GOOD LUCK buddy!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

waynieZ
07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks Tony I'll be glad when we get it started. I can get the permit around July18th. Only problem is I go in to the hospital to have an ablation done on my heart the 19th. It will hold me up for a few days. But as soon as I can I'll be waitng for the building dept. to open to get it.

tones2SS
07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Sounds good Wayne. Good luck with the operation. Hopefully that doesn't hold you back too long. Take care man!:cheers:

waynieZ
07-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks Tony

Track Junky
07-09-2010, 11:39 PM
I just got off the phone with the architect with some fun news. It seems that Ma. just started new building code for my area. Sense I'm within 20 miles of the coast I need an engineer to stamp the plans. Were in a 110 mph zone. Not bad $250 I can live with that. But when he checked it out they decided with my wall height of 11'3" that I need shear walls. specifically for my wall height. More money , not sure how much. Their going to see if I make the foundation taller if it will let me scrape by on the wall type. The ones their talking about have metal in them plus different bolts to hold it down on the foundation. I figured it must be like Cali. standards. Plus sense my door isgoing to be 16x8 its a specific door because of the hieght over 6'8" It just gets better and better!

Be sure to get references from your contractor. The Uniform Building Code recently changed to the Universal Building Code which probably means anywhere that built without structural plans now needs them. Out here in Cali I've never seen a set of plans without structs.

Shearwalls are not a big deal, just plywood over the studs typically on the outside with a specific nailing pattern on edges and in field. The steel you speak of are hold downs. basically, posts will be installed in the walls and an anchor will be bolted or screwed to the post and then an SST bolt or similar will come up from the foundation and bolt to the anchor, thus holding the wall down to the foundation.

Your shear will follow a load path from mudsill to the roof, most likely LP clips nailed to your truss blocks, nails to the blocks, and specific nailing pattern on roof sheathing.

Been building homes since 1988 out here in Cali. Became a building inspector when the economy turned. Any questions feel free to PM me.

waynieZ
07-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks Sparky67
Thanks for the well wishes. Their not opening my chest ( thank god ) Their going in through my groin area with a probe and a laser. inside my heart to kill off some short circiuting nerves.
Thanks Track junky. I will do that .I have a million questions its remembering them with all this building going on.

waynieZ
07-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Just got home from the hospital yesterday around noon. They did one ablation but saw many of them. They tried to plot the others but when they did it caused me to have a slight heart attack twice . No damage done but they couldn't go any ferther with the ablation. So it was pretty much a failure. I feel more palpetations now, I hope thats just because they burnt one spot in there and it will heal. Feel kind of worn out.
I gave 3 set of plans out to contractors so I can get some bids one already came by to see the property, and another is coming by either today or Fri to check it out. I hope they have good news for me.

I'm going to have about 12'11" ceiling hieght. I was going to use scissor trusses, but was wondering if I should just go with storage trusses for the extra room. The ceiling hieght should be good for just about any lift I would use. I think? lol
Wayne

rwhite692
08-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Wayne, just caught up on this thread, Sorry to hear the procedure didn't go as planned, hang in there!

waynieZ
08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm waiting for prices from three contractors. Its taking so long to get back to me. Its been almost three weeks sense I gave them the plans.Doesn't sound like their too hungry for work.

Jay Hilliard
09-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Hey Wayne,

Any luck on finding someone to build your shop/garage?

waynieZ
09-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi Jay Yes I finally found a contractor. I knew this guy sense he was a kid his father was a carpenterand he learned from him. He was always busy. He builds house on spec. I've seen 3 houses he's built including his own. All were very nicely done. My buddy gave him a call anyway to see if he was interested. It just so happened he was getting ready to start a new house, but wanted to take his time because the market is so slow. I went to talk to him on Monday and we talked about what I wanted . At the end of the night he said he would come to see the house and where the project was going and take a set of plans. He called the next night and came over . We discussed the garage and he said he would call me by the end of the week with some numbers. I went by his house on Saturday and the price was very reasonable. I was still waitng for another contractor's price which he said he would have on Saturday. He never called with it. So I called the other guy ( Greg ) and told him he had the job. He told me to try to get the building permit which he thought might take a few weeks.
I went to the government center for the permit and finnally had some good luck. The inspector looked at the plans and gave me the permit right there. I wasn't used to having things go so easy on this project. Things are looking up!
When I got back from getting the permit I called Greg and told him I got it . He was surprised and was calling the excavation contractor and said he might be able to get started next week. From nothing being done to maybe starting next week. What turnaround!

Jay Hilliard
09-16-2010, 12:58 PM
awesome. Glad its working out. Keep us posted with pics. Christmas is coming early to the Waynie house! :willy:

waynieZ
09-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Jingle bells jingle bells........ I just got a call from Greg my contractor.( wow that feels good to be able to say that!) He's coming tomorrow to lay out for the excavation. SWEET! He said they will probably dig early next week and the concrete contractor mmight be able to be here later in the week!!!!
YEH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

ccracin
09-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Jingle bells jingle bells........ I just got a call from Greg my contractor.( wow that feels good to be able to say that!) He's coming tomorrow to lay out for the excavation. SWEET! He said they will probably dig early next week andthe concrete contractor mmight be able to be here later in the week!!!!
YEH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Sweet, good for you. You know we want to see pictures, RIGHT? :thumbsup:

rwhite692
09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
That is awesome Wayne. Be sure to get a build thread going for the project with lots of photos!!