PDA

View Full Version : Unisteer rack and pinion?

CamaroGbg
12-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi

I'm consider buying a Unisteer power rack and pinion for my Camaro -68.
Is it any good? Other alternatives?

awr68
12-14-2005, 09:43 PM
I own one, and from what my research tells me it's by far the best kit on the market. I wont be driving my car for another year, but a friend of mine is installing one very soon on a driver and will have lots of good feedback on this unit...stay tuned!

ilovefirstgens
12-14-2005, 10:39 PM
ill have one in about 2 weeks, and the car will be up and running in late winter. I live by the credo drive it like you stole it, so if theres anything wrong with it ill be the first to know haha, seems like a solid unit though and the lesser of all the other evils: steeroids (binding universals) flaming river (heavy as hell)

CamaroGbg
12-15-2005, 12:49 AM
I own one, and from what my research tells me it's by far the best kit on the market. I wont be driving my car for another year, but a friend of mine is installing one very soon on a driver and will have lots of good feedback on this unit...stay tuned!

Good, hope to hear good response on the unit cause
it would solve my steeringproblem pretty neat. :D

Bytheway, Anthony what happend to your website?
It dosenīt work. Not for me anyway :rolleyes:

CamaroGbg
12-15-2005, 12:52 AM
ill have one in about 2 weeks, and the car will be up and running in late winter....

Please let me know the result...

mstennes
12-15-2005, 05:04 PM
I put one on last summer and love it!!! I cant beleve how much more prescise the car is. Yes I too drive it like I stole it and them some. I did have to add another Borgsen joint to clear my headers but that was no big deal. I will tell you though dont try to install it unless you have a lift or the fron clip off with the engine removed as it took us about a day and it was nice being able to stand under the car. If you want any other info just post and I will answer your questions.
Mike

CamaroGbg
12-16-2005, 05:12 AM
I put one on last summer and love it!!! I cant beleve how much more prescise the car is. Yes I too drive it like I stole it and them some. I did have to add another Borgsen joint to clear my headers but that was no big deal. I will tell you though dont try to install it unless you have a lift or the fron clip off with the engine removed as it took us about a day and it was nice being able to stand under the car. If you want any other info just post and I will answer your questions.
Mike

Thanx Mike :thumbsup:
I think the Unisteer unit will be the solution to my steering problem.
It will take a few weeks until i order one so if you have some more
input feel free to let me and everyone else know...
Thanx again

shanekennedy
12-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Mike

why do you say a lift is needed? do you think it can be installed w/o a lift?

mstennes
12-16-2005, 08:38 AM
If you get the car up in the air enough on jack stands yes but you will be on you back for a long time. Its a easy install but it takes some time. you have to remove ALL of the old steering parts and they take some time. Then you have to fit the Rack and hoses, test for leaks. You will also have to mount the stabilizer(for the life of me I cant think of the right name for the part now) but its a big threaded joint that slips over the new steering shaft that will lock it from moving or flopping around. I made a plate and welded it to the sub frame, then drilled it out and mounted the joint to it. Its a pretty involved setup but well worth it.

ilovefirstgens
12-16-2005, 07:54 PM
You mean the support bearing

And thats just what ive been waiting to hear!!!
Lucky me ill have no front clip or engine in there, or suspension for that matter so it ought to be a peice of cake.

awr68
12-17-2005, 12:45 AM
When I test fit mine I had no front sheet metal on but did have the engine in, and didn't think it was too difficult...although a second set of hands would be nice while you mount the rack itself...get a friend to help and you will have a good time all the way threw!!

awr68
12-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Bytheway, Anthony what happend to your website?
It dosenīt work. Not for me anyway :rolleyes:

It's been down since my last computer rebuild...sorry! I know I need to get it back online, just never take the time. ;)

CamaroGbg
01-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Any new inputs on the rack and pinion?

awr68
01-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I'll give Dan a call and see when they expect to take the shake down run...

CamaroGbg
03-28-2006, 07:51 AM
I finally got my Unisteer rack and pinion and it looks really good!!!
I have installed it and everything fits like a glove :thumbsup:
Canīt wait until i have the chance to drive it!!!!!!

awr68
03-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Dan recently finished and drove the customers car, he said even without an alignment their was a huge improvement in the steering, handeling, and the scary bump steer was gone...I beleive they replaced a Steeroids rack.

He also added Global West control arms. With these two bolt on's the car now drives WAY better and has great road feel...he was very pleased with the parts...so much they are installing another Unisteer rack on another camaro that's in the shop!

Can't wait to drive mine!!! :thumbsup:

novapwr
04-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Mike

Mike,
Do you have any pictures of the linkage setup with the extra joint? I had mine working properly but switched to some new Hooker super comps and now need to alter the linkage. Not sure what to order yet because I am not quite sure of where to run the new linkage setup. Thanks, Dave

CamaroGbg
04-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Mike,
Do you have any pictures of the linkage setup with the extra joint? I had mine working properly but switched to some new Hooker super comps and now need to alter the linkage. Not sure what to order yet because I am not quite sure of where to run the new linkage setup. Thanks, Dave

Check out Unisteers linkage
http://www.unisteer.com/product.php?productid=16251&cat=255&page=1
I belive you mount it where the steeringbox mountingholes in the subframe.

Teetoe_Jones
04-02-2006, 05:22 PM
You guys are paying 800 bones for that? Seems like a lot of money for minimal gain in steering feel. You can get the same feel out of todays steering boxes for a bunch less. Might want to look at Lee Engineering's new 670 box. Same valve technology as rack and pinion, plus better response, and tighter tolerances.

Tyler

ilovefirstgens
04-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Well this has not been posted and i figure this thread is a good place to put it.

I installed the unisteer rack, and was using the ats engine plates on my ls1 and there are BAD interferance problems. The reason its bad is the bottom of the engine block and oil pan want to occupy the same space, after a bit of grinding i thing im safe however dont know until the engine is started up. i had to grind on a oil pan bolt and the block as well as both banjo fittings themselves

350-ss
10-22-2008, 05:14 PM
What hedder is best to use with the power unisteer ? i have a 68 camaro 383 smallblock with a TKO500 tremec would prefer a shorty. read in another thread that maybe a patriot would fit. any feedback is greatly appreciated