PDA

View Full Version : Hotchkis E-Max tested against a 2010 SRT-8

Hotchkis
06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
As Pro-Touring fans, you all are familiar with the stereotypes applied to our cars. How many times have you heard someone say, "old cars can't handle" or "new technology will beat any muscle car".

We put our reputation on the line and lent the Hotchkis 1970 Challenger, E-Max to the journalists at Edmunds Inside Line.

Editor Josh Jacquot and test driver Chris Walton took our yellow pro-tourer to the hills and the track where it was matched up against a new 2010 SRT-8 Challenger.

None of you will be surprised to hear that we held our own and then some.

Check out the photos, video and story on Insideline.com (http://www.insideline.com/dodge/challenger/2010/2010-dodge-challenger-srt-8-vs-1970-dodge-challenger.html)

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/dodge/1970-challenger/fe/dodge_1970-challenger_hlight_fe_517101_717.jpg

"There's only a whisker of difference in the comparative acceleration of these cars, with the modern Challenger barely edging the old car to 60 mph by 0.1 second. The SRT-8's 5.4-second sprint to 60 mph from a standstill (5.1 seconds with a 1-foot rollout, like on a drag strip) hardly overshadows the Hotchkis car's 5.5-second run (5.2 seconds with a 1-foot rollout, like on a dragstrip). The quarter-mile is similarly close with the SRT-8 finishing in 13.6 seconds at 104.5 mph versus the old car's 13.8-second run at 101.1 mph.

Braking from 60 mph had the SRT-8 stopping in 118 feet, yet the Hotchkis car nearly matched it with a stop of 123 feet, a genuinely impressive number for this nose-heavy, 3,494-pound machine.

But that's hardly the most impressive number recorded by the Hotchkis Challenger. Circling the skid pad at 0.93g is something we've never seen a muscle car accomplish, let alone one that's 40 years old. But that's exactly what the Hotchkis car does. Its modern counterpart can only manage 0.84g.

Less than 1 mph separates the cars through our 600-foot slalom. At 67.6 mph, the old Challenger shows it is up to the challenge, but its ultra-low ride height does it no favors on the slightly uneven surface, where the suspension finds the bumpstops more than once. As a result, the SRT-8 is marginally quicker at 68.8 mph."

SLO_Z28
06-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Way to stick it to the new car.

The new dodges are kind of a dog, I still think its REALLY odd to have a 225 tire on 18's.

4thechallenge
06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
"Here's a little trick about his retro pony car that Hotchkis doesn't mention publicly. He uses a Coleman Racing Products 1.5:1 steering gear that's located directly on the shaft to the steering wheel. When combined with the heim-jointed steering linkage, this item both quickens the response of the steering and transforms the precision of its action"

whats that about?

Jerseyboy
06-09-2010, 06:24 AM
I read that also. I really hate the over assisted numb feel of 60's era chryslers power steering. It's something I really want to change in my Coronet ASAP.

J

manny z
06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
"Here's a little trick about his retro pony car that Hotchkis doesn't mention publicly. He uses a Coleman Racing Products 1.5:1 steering gear that's located directly on the shaft to the steering wheel. When combined with the heim-jointed steering linkage, this item both quickens the response of the steering and transforms the precision of its action"

whats that about?
You know, I am no hotchkis nut swinger by any means but, lets give credit where credit is due.

I am sure the point that is trying to made is, look at what this old car, with basically a few bolt on suspension parts can do against the new version of the same car.

I am constantly trying to prove a similar point with the suspension parts I sell and make for the dodge srt-4. A lot of people said that these cars were not made to handle good, I have already proved that statement wrong many times on road courses.
Personally I am glad that Hotchkis decided to stick with the stock style suspensions. As I am doing also with my 68 charger but, using modern style peices like them.