PDA

View Full Version : Buffer/Polisher Question???

LowchevyII
06-03-2010, 09:41 PM
So i've been looking into getting a buffer/polisher to get some better results and take some stress off my hands, but i'm curious what you guys would recommend. Ive been told the makita 9227c/cy is a good one but at about 200 bucks its a bit pricey. Anything you guys would say would be as good if not better that isnt 200 bucks or is that about hte going rate?

thanks

--Jeff

OOCustoms
06-03-2010, 10:16 PM
well i have a dewalt and i believe it ran 200. Im not familiar with the makita but it is possibly lighter then the dewalt. Both are good brands.

Marc

nvr2fst
06-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Jeff,
I have a couple slightly used if your interested in that model # They are demos I received at discount pricing from my suppliers.
I use this model personally on all my rides and boat. Rpm stays stable when set with no vibration to stress the wrists from prolonged use. It may be slightly larger than lets say a dewalt or others but the grip surface and control is better. Our company gets a lot of tools to try out.
Pm me if your interested.

70TWO NOVA
06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Ive got a Dewalt buffer and I love it. Bought it used about 3 years ago and she works like brand new even to this day. It has a nice weight and balance to it.

elitecustombody
06-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Get Makita, I went through 2 Dewalts in less than 4 years,seems like switches keep going bad as well as motors,even on big heavy duty Dewalt grinders ,Makita keeps going for 6+years ,even after I drove over it a couple of times, lol .BTW, I use it all the time,

NsaneHotrodz
06-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I have the Dewalt Buffer now, but its a little to heavy. I've been looking at the Dynabrade Air buffers. Has anyone used one?

J2SpeedandCustom
06-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I have the 3" long neck dynabrade air buffer for really tight parts. I use the Makita buffer. I like a heavy buffer though.

Huyzel
07-08-2010, 03:12 AM
I have a Dewalt. A bit heavy compared to others. I know I know.. some of you guys may hate Harbor Freight but they sell one that is cheap! So if you are looking to buff a car a few times a year or something then HF is the way to go. Their buffer had pretty good reviews. Plus if you havent buffed before then needing something with serious power isnt recommended. I work between 1200-1800 maybe 1900 rpm. Get good foam pads from 3m and good compound. Some people skip out on this kind of stuff after spending a lot of money on a machine. You can easily spend more on compounds than a buffer. I think i paid 180 for mine and it came with a free wool pad.

SSMuscle
07-13-2010, 07:36 PM
I use a portercable 7424XP with normal and spot pads from Adams. I love my PC and it works great. :cheers:

The WidowMaker
07-13-2010, 11:31 PM
i have the makita. best deal i found was around 175 shipped on ebay. that was a ways back though. ive only buffed 2 cars with it, but on probation at my fire department i turned LOTS of aluminum ladders into chrome looking ladders. lots of power, soft start and great balance.

Tim

prine68
07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
I second the Porter Cable 7424XP, I own two of them...I have one that I use 6.5" pads for the car, and the other I use the 3.5" pads for my Harley. The Harley is black and that polisher has no problem removing scratches using 3M products.

elitecustombody
07-17-2010, 09:42 AM
I have Porter Cable 7424XP and rarely use it to apply wax,nothing beats Makita for real polishing after colorsanding

Josh69
07-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I just got my Makita with a carrying case and two wool pads from Amazon direct for $185 or so with the super saver free shipping last month, still showed up in 4 days.

I had been using an identical one for years borrowed from a buddy, but I finally decided I needed my own to finish my car. I put over 50 hours into it before the CC show last weekend and I'm only on stage 2. It looks fantastic and took out my 800/1200/2000/3000 Trizact grit scratches. Slow and steady yields good results.

As guys have said, I've got more into my compounds and pads than the buffer. Maybe $300 in that stuff, all 3M. Two black and two blue ultrafina pads, a couple of foam cutting pads, and a wool one that came with the Makita. It'll last me a lifetime.