PDA

View Full Version : Best of Show Coachworks' '71 Camaro

Matt@BOS
05-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Hi All, I'm posting this for Jon, the shop's painter and part owner, who has decided to sell because he feels the car is too nice for him to drive around in daily and would rather have some cash. This car is a solid rust free car that can be driven everyday but has show quality paint. It would also make for a great foundation for a hardcore pro-touring car. If I could, I'd buy it and add a DSE sub and quadralink, then maybe throw in an LS and T56/TKO.

The rundown:

new quarter panels, front fenders, etc. were patched to preserve original panels. Door hinges are rebuilt.
Rechromed Z/28 front bumpers, reproduction rear bumper.
Marquez Design Taillights
1969 Camaro Side Markers
rebuilt original 350 engine
rebuilt turbo 350 transmission
brand new 9' factory rear with Tru-Trac posi w/ 3.50 gears (over $3500)
CPP 4 wheel disk brakes
new stock type upper and lower control arms
coil over conversion for the front with QA1s
new interior: door panels, dash pad, etc. Seats are rebuilt around original frames
new steering box (AGR I think - might be covered in a Camaro Performers article)
Flaming River steering column and steering wheel
Anvil carbon fiber hood and rear spoiler
new glass and both doors completely rebuilt using new regulators/latches/etc
new paint (one month old)

Additionally, Jon has a Joe Sherman Racing Engine's 350 which makes 413hp and 426 ft/lbs, which he will sell for an additional $5,000

I'm sure most of you familiar with Steve's Bad Penny, or maybe my '69 and and know the quality of Best of Show's work. While the car the car is Jon's daily driver, the paint is killer. The fit and finish is also impressive and probably better than 90% of cars, save for the very high end show cars. For comparisons sake, and for those who have seen some of the shops work, the panel gapping is probably as good as Penny's, but not quite as crazy as my car's.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/69MSA/DSC_0515.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/69MSA/DSC_0503.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/69MSA/DSC_0520.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/69MSA/DSC_0524.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/69MSA/DSC_0509.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/69MSA/DSC_0510.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/69MSA/DSC_0536.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/69MSA/DSC_0534.jpg

The car has about 20K in new parts if added up, and about 25k in paint and body, including the new quarters and small repairs made. Because this was Jon's personal project and most of the new parts were traded for labor and/or discounted because the car has been featured in numerous Camaro Performer's tech articles, Jon isn't asking very much. He would like $25,500 for the car.

If interested the best way to contact us would be via a private message, or email to me at: [email protected] I've got one of those stupid Blackberry phones and I'm always tied to it so I will reply quickly.

you can also try Jon's phone: (Seven Six Zero) 271-1869

The car can be seen almost anytime Mon-Sat at:
Best of Show Coachworks
1011 Rancheros Drive
San Marcos, CA 92069

----------
Matt

tones2SS
05-22-2010, 11:13 AM
That looks like a really nice car Matt. Paint does look killer as well.
Good luck!:thumbsup:

coolwelder62
05-22-2010, 11:44 AM
WOW!!! awesome car. Man that's just what I am looking for.Just came up for sale to soon.I have not sold my 69 yet.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Steve1968LS2
05-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Ive done a ton of stories on this car.. lots of killer parts and a sweet paint job.. hell, the paint alone would cost you a bundle.. and no paint jail.. lol...

Add in all of the other parts, including the new $3500 9-inch, and its a great deal

Needs my 5.3L LS engine I have for sale put in it.. :yes:

rogue
05-23-2010, 12:46 PM
amazing deal for someone.

Cris@JCG
05-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Seen this car in person! I would scoop it up in a heart beat if I wanted something to drive right now.. do a couple of suspension upgrades, LS conversion, big brakes, wheels & you off to do some autocrossing :thumbsup:

Matt@BOS
05-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Seen this car in person! I would scoop it up in a heart beat if I wanted something to drive right now.. do a couple of suspension upgrades, LS conversion, big brakes, wheels & you're off to do some autocrossing :thumbsup:

That thought crosses my mind several times a day, it's exactly what I'd do, but I can't bring myself to part with my '06 Mustang that I drive everyday, and to take any money out of my potential gt40 kit car fund, which I've been dreaming about lately.

I hate to see Jon sell the car, but it needs to go to a good new home!

Matt

redfire69
05-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Nice car! What color is that?

OLDFLM
05-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Nice car! What color is that?

Burgandy! :rofl:

Gordz32
05-24-2010, 02:38 PM
BMW Calypso Red but its been enhanced

pennysaver
06-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Nice car....pm sent.

Steve1968LS2
07-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I have no idea why this is still for sale.. $15k in parts.. $15k in paint PLUS the car for about $20k??

Do the math.. lol

And it has great body lines..

Anyways, bump for a sweet deal.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions on this car.

[email protected]

Here's a shot that shows the color a bit better... was a display car for PPG at the Del Mar show..

http://i31.tinypic.com/5lpj44.jpg

SS1156
07-16-2010, 02:12 AM
OMG...That car is beautiful. I wish I had the Saleen sold already. That is exactly what I am looking for. I will check back after it's gone.

buickfunnycar.com
07-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Can't wait to see it...:thumbsup:

SS1156
07-31-2010, 03:45 AM
Did the car sell? I can't believe the finish on this car. That guy can paint.....HANDS DOWN.

buickfunnycar.com
07-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Sold...Deanna bought it,Mary & her are hauling it back today.
Some of Mary's old parts will find their way onto this car...should be killer,can't wait to see it.:unibrow:

SS1156
08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
That's cool. I'm glad someone that will appreciate the beauty of this car bought it. I wish I could have afforded it but it's just outside what I can spend. I can't wait to see it though.

TreySmith
08-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Jesus, $25k for paint and body? Did they crush up diamonds and mix it into the paint?

Nice car but I think a lot of people exaggerate sometimes. Sorry, not trying to be a dick but why did it cost so much?

Matt@BOS
08-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Jesus, $25k for paint and body? Did they crush up diamonds and mix it into the paint?

Nice car but I think a lot of people exaggerate sometimes. Sorry, not trying to be a dick but why did it cost so much?

I think Jon's car had a little less than 25k worth of paint and body, maybe more like 20k. Jon wasn't a complete perfectionist when painting his car. Here is basically where the cost comes from:
First, start with a shop's hourly rate of $75 out here in the San Diego area, multiply that by time and the dollars really start to fly - and don't forget to factor in all of the cost of materials, including paint, which is crazy expensive now days. To begin with, I think the car had to have its quarters replaced, which was factored in. Now, between the time the car got its new quarters and Jon finishes buffing, here is roughly what happens... it is pretty much just a ton of putting material on, then sanding it off.

Car gets stripped, and sealed, bodyworked with filler, primed a couple times with polyester primer, and then with urethane primer, all the while looking for any imperfections, meaning that it will be primed and sanded as long as necessary. During this time the car will probably go together to fit sheetmetal and work on gapping, then come apart again, at least once. gapping involves welding up panels and creating good edges in metal, and even better ones using a tiny bit of filler to make them crisp. After gapping the car comes apart and the jams get painted, and on certain cars the jams get bodyworked to remove any and all wrinkles in the metal. After that, the body gets painted and given something like seven thick coats of clear then it all gets color sanded up to 3500 grit and buffed. By the time it is done the car doesn't even have urethane wave in it. Really, it's just expensive because there is a ton of time involved. Just to get an idea, Jon has to repaint my car after it got hit, and the estimate for color sanding and buffing was 40-50 hours.

It is really hard to see where all of the money goes until you have a builder point out all of the little differences that factor in. Even then you really have to someone point out the differences in person when looking at two cars side by side.

Matt

skooli
08-19-2010, 07:14 AM
I think Jon's car had a little less than 25k worth of paint and body, maybe more like 20k. Jon wasn't a complete perfectionist when painting his car. Here is basically where the cost comes from:
First, start with a shop's hourly rate of $75 out here in the San Diego area, multiply that by time and the dollars really start to fly - and don't forget to factor in all of the cost of materials, including paint, which is crazy expensive now days. To begin with, I think the car had to have its quarters replaced, which was factored in. Now, between the time the car got its new quarters and Jon finishes buffing, here is roughly what happens... it is pretty much just a ton of putting material on, then sanding it off.

Car gets stripped, and sealed, bodyworked with filler, primed a couple times with polyester primer, and then with urethane primer, all the while looking for any imperfections, meaning that it will be primed and sanded as long as necessary. During this time the car will probably go together to fit sheetmetal and work on gapping, then come apart again, at least once. gapping involves welding up panels and creating good edges in metal, and even better ones using a tiny bit of filler to make them crisp. After gapping the car comes apart and the jams get painted, and on certain cars the jams get bodyworked to remove any and all wrinkles in the metal. After that, the body gets painted and given something like seven thick coats of clear then it all gets color sanded up to 3500 grit and buffed. By the time it is done the car doesn't even have urethane wave in it. Really, it's just expensive because there is a ton of time involved. Just to get an idea, Jon has to repaint my car after it got hit, and the estimate for color sanding and buffing was 40-50 hours.

It is really hard to see where all of the money goes until you have a builder point out all of the little differences that factor in. Even then you really have to someone point out the differences in person when looking at two cars side by side.

Matt

Not to mention Coachworks is one of the premier shops in the country. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this a cover car for Camaro Performers about a year ago, for a paint and body article or something along those lines? So there was definitely some time put into it.

Mean 69
08-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Not to mention Coachworks is one of the premier shops in the country. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this a cover car for Camaro Performers about a year ago, for a paint and body article or something along those lines?

Actually, the car on the cover of Camaro Performers is my 70 RS (clone). Same shop did the work, in fact the picture was taken in their paint booth. Coincidentally, my car is also for sale though I have not yet listed but intend to soon. Heart breaker in that I don't want to sell, but employment uncertainty is pushing me in this direction. Regardless, the paint work that they do is fantastic, and in general, especially in So Cal due to the air restrictions, paint work these days is horribly expensive to do, and is reflected in the price the consumer has to bear. You wouldn't believe how much the permits just to have a paint booth are, whether or not you even use the darned thing.

Mark