PDA

View Full Version : "The Rendezvous"

Derek69SS
12-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I had heard about this film for several years, but this is the first I've seen it.

:wow: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2851488008488190547&q=rendezvous+paris

Scott, I apologize if this breaks any forum rules, but I just saw it on Team Chevelle and had to share. :willy: I don't normally post anything where people are doing stupid things in the street, but this one I couldn't help. :faint:

C'etait un Rendezvous is the creation of the French filmmaker Claude Lelouch in 1976 and is regarded as the ultimate in chase scenes - the connoisseurs’ trump card in response to "Bullitt" or "The French Connection". The ‘soundtrack’ is just as pure: the brutal wail of the V12 engine, squealing tires and the roar of the exhaust. Using a Ferrari 275 GTB early one August morning, Lelouch attached a camera to the bumper of the car and sped through the streets of Paris. He gave the driver a set route from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur, which is straight through the heart of Paris. The driver is still unknown to this day, because Lelouch was never able to obtain a permit to close the streets. The driver, who Lelouch told officials was an F1 racer, went over the speed limit (a maximum of 136mph, just shy of halfway through the film) and blew off many red lights. When this film was first shown, Lelouch was arrested, and because of this, the footage has spent many years underground before it began to resurface on DVD a few years ago. Lelouch used a new technology of the time, a gyro stabilized camera mount, in order to mount the camera on the car. The problem with this is that the technology of the time only allowed for a ten minute film with this mount. Lelouch told his driver to rush because of this time limit, and the video itself is only about nine minutes. There were no special effects, no speeding-up of the film or blocking-off the streets.

skooli
01-01-2006, 11:54 PM
That's insane! That lunatic can drive though. I love the sound of that V12. My old neighbor in Hawaii has a '62 250 GTO V12. When it idles it lopes like a muscle car with a big cam, but with 12 cylinders it sounds so different. That's probably my favorite car on the planet. Just raw, no frills power.

vanzuuk1
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
The driver is said to be former ligier driver Jacque Laffite, he drove f1 for a few teams in the 70s and 80s.He was an up and coming driver at the time and friends with the director. Thats the story, allegedly.

GTmike400
01-15-2006, 09:46 AM
I've seen that video, and it is intense. My buddies and I were watching it and our bodies were shifting back and forth to dodge cars that we thought we were going to run into, thats how thrilling it is.

anjar
01-26-2006, 11:45 AM
i can drive like that(when im playing burnout 3 on x box)seriously,theres a part of the game where you go through the same parts the driver did :cool: great video it almost sounded like he had another gear at least the whole time

KAA
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I hope she was worth it! :D

3SuperSports
01-29-2006, 10:28 AM
My wife can drive like that..........for a good sale. ;)

Steve1968LS2
02-01-2006, 11:59 AM
I say hook it up to a motion simulator and make a lot of $$$ :)

it's like a real life grand tourismo.. i wonder how many bird he hit.. :rofl:

jannes_z-28
02-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Fun to see, i was in Paris this last summer and walked many of the streets he was driving. Our hotel was very close to his final stop.

I knewed a woman that drived like that at late nights, she said "If you pass a redlight quick enough you have less chance to hit something" :eek:

Jan