PDA

View Full Version : Intake gaskets for boost?

Y-TRY
12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
My heavy foot got the best of me tonight, and my Fel-Pro 1206's. A few seconds of "Weeee!" followed by a sudden "WTF is that noise!?"

Intake comes back off tomorrow to replace a blown intake gasket.

What gasket do you guys suggest for a SBC, with boost? The intake and heads are matched to a 1206-port (for reference). Anything specifically for this type of application?

Thanks in advance.

Blown353
12-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Wow, weird. 8000 miles on my engine now with 15psi with Fel-Pro 1206's here and nary a whimper out of them.

How did you have them installed? Sealant (curing or non-curing), gasket adhesive, etc? Using a slimy sealant can let them push out from boost. I'm a big gasgacinch fan. Gasgacinch the intake gasket to the heads and use nothing on the intake side (let the silicone beads on the gasket do that job) and torque everything down.

One important thing I've found is you need to retorque the intake after the first few heat cycles; I find the gasket really squishes and the bolts loosen up quite a bit during the first 3 cycles, so I drive the car and get it hot, then let it completely cool and re-torque the intake; 3 repeats of this seems to do the job nicely and then check it occasionally thereafter.

Troy

Y-TRY
12-06-2005, 10:35 PM
It's possibly an installation issue. I don't remember how often I re-torqued after putting them on, initially. I know at least once. But I figure I might as well check for better gaskets while I have it all apart. I do know I'll be using Gasgacinch this round, either way.

Another strange/not so strange thing is that it seemed to suck my engine dry of oil, with no smoke. I figure it blew the gasket into the lifter valley and simply sucked the oil past the valve and now-fouled plug. I may have a downpipe full of oil right now. We'll see, when I can work on the car in the light.