PDA

View Full Version : f-body lean problem

ArisESQ
12-05-2005, 07:42 PM
so i replied in that "nagging questions" thread, but i didnt really wanna take over with hundreds upon thousands of questions about why my camaro leans to the driver side... but does anybody know any reasons/how to fix it?

i just had a whole lot of body work done to the car, and i had hoped that it would fix the problem, due to possibly mis-alligned body panels, but it actually just made it slightly more noticable... the car sits about an inch to an inch and a half higher on the passenger side. im planning on heading over to a body shop to see if tey can put my car on a frame machine and see whats going on.

anyone else have this problem, or any ideas how to fix it?

and just for the hey, heres a pic of my car, and a proper introduction. my names aris gregorian, and this is my car.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/40/burnout12iu8ch.jpg

importkiller69ss
12-05-2005, 08:39 PM
might need to get the leaf springs rearched...under alot of power or in an accident they can flatten out...this happened to me with my original ones anf it threw the way the car sat off horribly

importkiller69ss
12-05-2005, 08:41 PM
my car also leaned to that side i heard first gens are bad about this

XcYZ
12-05-2005, 08:45 PM
One of the springs lost its rate, just have to figure out which.

Cool picture of your 67. :thumbsup:

ArisESQ
12-05-2005, 10:18 PM
thanks a lot for your replies, i really appreciate all the help :thumbsup: . at least gave me a place to start looking at what the problem could be.

if it makes a difference, i have QA1 coilovers, and the side thats sitting HIGHER is actually set to the very lowest point it could possibly be... could this still be due to a lost spring rate, or could it be a possibly bent front clip? any othe rhelp would be great. hope your all havinga great night.

David Pozzi
12-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Make sure your subframe mounts and sub mount areas are all in good condition. I've heard many reports of lean fixed by replacing old rubber mounts.

A problem with an antiroll bar can do it too, so disconnect one end link of each bar to disable it.

If the car still leans, jack up one end but use a narrow block of wood on the jack and put it on the exact center of the differential or front subframe, run the block parallel to the centerline of the car and on the centerline. Jack that end up until the tires are off the floor then measure for level. When you raise one end like this the other end will control the car's level. Do each end of the car and see if you find one end that is causing the problem.

David

ArisESQ
12-06-2005, 03:18 PM
i have poly urethane body and subframe mounting bushings, so i doubt thats the problem... but ill definently try removing the sway bar. thanks a lot!

TravisB
12-06-2005, 04:01 PM
were they on it when you got it? If not was it like that before you put coil overs on it? this may be a dumb question but were the springs the same(hieght,rate)?

ArisESQ
12-06-2005, 08:48 PM
no, i replaced the original suspension with the global west arms, and the qa1 coilovers... and i dont think the car sat crooked at all at first. and im PRETTY sure that the springs are the same height and rate... but again thats something i should probably check up on. thanks :thumbsup:

Y-TRY
12-06-2005, 09:59 PM
My '68 has the same problem, always has. Before and after all new suspension and bushings. I suspect it's a problem in the subframe of mine and the body panels were built on top of it (thus, they all look even). I've also posted this question on a couple places and it seems to be a mystery with many 1st gen owners.

Sweet car, BTW. White smoke, white car... a match made in heaven. Now get a couple turbos and you can do that at 70mph!

David Pozzi
12-08-2005, 09:34 PM
My '68 has the same problem, always has. Before and after all new suspension and bushings. I suspect it's a problem in the subframe of mine and the body panels were built on top of it (thus, they all look even). I've also posted this question on a couple places and it seems to be a mystery with many 1st gen owners.

Sweet car, BTW. White smoke, white car... a match made in heaven. Now get a couple turbos and you can do that at 70mph!

Before measuring ride heights, bounce the suspension on each end of the car. The driver sitting in the left side then getting out will cause the car to take a set on that side, friction in the suspension can hold that side down a little and if you don't bounce each end releasing on the up stroke, your heights will be low on the left. New shocks can be pretty sticky, the seals have a lot of friction, some polly bushings can really stick the suspension. It would be good if you can scale the car and see if the left side is heavier, the left allready has the steering box and driver controls, if the heater, battery and spare tire are removed, the pass side get's lighter than the driver's side.
David

TravisB
12-09-2005, 02:38 PM
no, i replaced the original suspension with the global west arms, and the qa1 coilovers... and i dont think the car sat crooked at all at first. and im PRETTY sure that the springs are the same height and rate... but again thats something i should probably check up on. thanks :thumbsup:

well....hmmmmm it must be in the subframe somewhere. Come to think of it my dad had a fisrt gen that leaned to the p/s....we never did figure it out! :(

TravisB
12-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Now get a couple turbos and you can do that at 70mph!

you aren't right in the head..... :bow: :bow: :D

ArisESQ
12-12-2005, 11:22 AM
thanks guys. i have a feeling it IS the subframe... maybe ill be giving wayne due a call about this replacement clip.