PDA

View Full Version : Best air DA Sander

Garage Dog 65
03-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Hi guys,

Looking to buy a new DA sander and a long board sander. Been using this 3m type at work and they work great.

http://www.3mfinishingsystems.com/randomOrbitalSanders.cfm

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd-3m-20327-316-self-generated-vacuum-random-orbital-sander.cfm

Just wondered what the folks that use them every day feel are the best DA's out there in a given price range ?

Thx for your input !!

Jim

GM Muscle
03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
i use a dynabrade da. i like it because its industrial and made of a hard composite plastic. its very light and you can buy them with different strokes. ive been using the same one for 8 years now. :thumbsup:

OOCustoms
04-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Ive got a dynabrade and Im very happy with it. Pretty tough too!

mild2wild
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Another vote for dynabrade.

deuce_454
04-06-2010, 03:57 AM
i LOVE my dynabrade... its tough, light, doesnt get freezing cold when in use and its quiet and powerfull

NBR521
04-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Dynabrade's are inmho the best DA's out there. I use them everyday and have been very happy. They are very comfortable and very well balanced. They are usually about $350 and well worth it.

I have used various others such as 3M, Snap-on, Matco, etc. and honestly feel that the Dynabrades are the way to go.

Streetwerkz
04-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Dynabryde, and Hutchkins are what I have, and have not used anything better.

elitecustombody
04-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Had Dynabrade for years,also have Hutchins,but they seem to be alot heavier,so I don't use them much

brans72
04-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Which dynabrade model are you guy's using for body work? I will be looking for one shortly. Thanks Brandon

JRouche
04-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Which dynabrade model are you guy's using for body work? I will be looking for one shortly. Thanks Brandon

I just bought a dynafile (DYNABRADE 15006) from enco. Was a good price with the 20% off. Not a DA, I have an Ingersoll sander for that (not great).

The small band file comes in handy for work where the small 1-3" disc sanders cant get in. Say you have a small square or rectangular tube and you need to get inside of it to clear out some weld through or just remove some material.

The dynafile I got has a small arm for tight places. I also have the one with the longer arm. But its also thicker and wont get into as tight of a space.

The band files are a dream to use when the need comes up.

Oh, and it seconds for a angled die grinder if needed. Dynabrade air motors are pretty nice.

Ok, Im crazy for tools so speaking of the band files. I also have a Dotco (Cooper tools) 12L1280-36B2. Its also a 12" belt band file. Its a lil slower then the dynafile but just as quality. Kinda pricey, but a quality tool. Also can second as a die grinder.

Its all in the abrasive though really. I like nortons SG belts. Its a ceramic aluminum oxide. It out performs nortons or 3Ms zirconia belts by a noticeable amount. And and even more so than aluminum oxide and we wont even talk about silicon carbide. Where all of those go "flat" pretty quickly with heavy metal grinding, the ceramic AO holds its shape and keeps the original grit longer. So the machine works less, its still cutting and not buffing due to the abrasive still being sharp and not broken down.

The ceramic abrasive is a lil more costly, but from what I have seen well worth the cost. Pick up a belt or disc with it a give it a try.

Oh, and 3M has a ceramic abrasive. They call it Cubitron. I havent used it yet but Im sure its a top quality abrasive. JR

ProdigyCustoms
04-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Only Hutchins with no handle in my box

elitecustombody
04-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Hutchins are usually way too heavy compared to Dynabrade IMO

tellyv
04-18-2010, 08:50 AM
dynabraid is really good and I have a bunch of the new 3m's I think there very comparable I would go with whatevers cheapest, now they make them for different tasks, fine for wetsanding, medium for 180-500 grit or heavy duty for ripping paint down 40-180 grit, so know what before you buy I would get the medium if it's your only one.

brans72
04-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks for info Telly, I want one for the body work after I do all grinding and fitting to do sanding of primer etc. I will have someone probably paint my car and do finish touches on my body work. Guess I need to look for a med model dyna now.

elitecustombody
04-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for info Telly, I want one for the body work after I do all grinding and fitting to do sanding of primer etc. I will have someone probably paint my car and do finish touches on my body work. Guess I need to look for a med model dyna now.

If you are looking for slick finish, I'd advise to leave D/A sander alone and use long blocking sticks to block your primer

JRouche
04-20-2010, 12:47 AM
If you are looking for slick finish, I'd advise to leave D/A sander alone and use long blocking sticks to block your primer

YUP!! The DA is good for removing material. The air inline sander is good for getting the fillers knocked down flat. And the arms and some rubber blocks are whats needed to get a flat surface for paint.

I look at the DA as a removal tool. Not even a tool for getting anything on the body flat. It should be used for knocking down or scuffing up some really rough surface. But really, its a removal tool, not a shaping tool. Once the filler has been put down so should the DA sander. Its a tool for before the filler. Air inline sander is a shaping tool. Just to get it to the point of breaking out the rubber blocks and getting to town with them. The real work starts. Long blocks, many hours. JR