PDA

View Full Version : Anyone around here Snow ski?

almcbri
11-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I am heading to Taos in a couple weeks for a ski trip that I have been planning for a year. I am considering buying some ski's since this is the 3rd trip and many more to come. Does anyone have any good information on ski's, what to buy, brand etc. I have been looking on the net this afternoon but can't seem to find exactly what I want. Is HEAD a good brand? I have used the old K2's everytime I rented and liked those well. I know this is way off topic, but I feel as this is a pretty great group of car guys and we can occasionally ask questions off topic.

steemin
11-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Hey Andrew,
I went to college in Colorado and I took full advatage of the awesome skiing available in that area of the country. I am now back home in Indiana and I am lucky if I get to ski a couple of times a year. Mostly we head up into Michigan for a couple of days.
At any rate the only way that I would consider buying equipment is if I lived close enough to a good skiing area to go several times a year. Or if I was committed enough to fly into good ski areas several times a year.
If you are only going to ski a couple of times a year max and you generally will be flying to get there IMHO dragging your equipment cross country is not worth it.
When I was really into the sport I thought that renting equipment was gay.
Today however the rental equpment at the better resorts is usually top notch and you do not have to hassle with all of the travel/storage issues.
As far as who makes the good equipment today I have no idea. Things change quickly. I always bought the unsold "last years" models that were deeply discounted.
If you do decide to buy your own equipment don't skimp on boots and bindings. Take your time getting fitted so that your boots fit well and are comfortable..
Last bit of advise. Don't ever get on a snowmobile..Once I started riding sleds my passion for skiing was gone..
Anyway have fun and be safe.
Scott

XcYZ
11-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Last bit of advise. Don't ever get on a snowmobile..Once I started riding sleds my passion for skiing was gone.

Riding sleds in the mountains is where it's at. :thumbsup:

steemin
11-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Riding sleds in the mountains is where it's at. :thumbsup:

I am with you on that...
I go the first week in January every year
with a group of guys to West Yellowstone.
It is AWESOME :willy:
Scott

XcYZ
11-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Cool, I've ridden there a few times. My favorite place to ride is in the Togwotee area east of Jackson Hole... specifically the backcountry beyond Brooks Lake. It's incredible. I'll have to dig up some pictures and send them your way.

bleucamaro
11-30-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure how often you ski, but if its only a few days a year, I'd recomend renting. Alot has changed in the world of rentals the past few years. You no longer get the set of 5 year old rear entry boots with shot padding and beat-up sticks. The new rental standard is at the 'Demo' standard of old, where you get current equipment that is high quality and high performance. The last time I rented (2 years ago, couldn't get my equipment to the hill) I got a virgin set of Rossignal shaped skis, with Marker bindings).

If you're set on buying, all the major players make good products, and check out the review site listed above for a general idea. My current skis are Olin GS/All Mountain skis that I bought the season before the mega-shaped skis really hit the market, and now I feel that I'm stuck with them.

just my $.02

almcbri
12-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Ok, well you guys talked me out of it. I found a good place to rent from so I will use them. One of these days I will own a place in the Mountains, but till then I will finish school and keep on renting! Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup: