PDA

View Full Version : Anybody making a bolt in Rack/Pinion Steering for A-bodies?

mrgto
11-28-2005, 08:56 AM
I see plenty of kits for the F-bodies but nothing for A-Bodies. Has anyone installed a Rack and Pinion steering in a A Body? Thanks.

TravisB
11-28-2005, 10:30 AM
I have but it has some issues right now.....no one makes a kit for it tomy knowledge!

68-GTO
12-03-2005, 02:04 PM
TravisB, you've installed a rack n' pinion on an A body?

what year A body?

What are the problems your experiencing with it?

Im not sure if im looking into this mod yet, its just interesting to see some options out there.

thanks, Brian.

kp.touring
12-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Why not just use DSE steering box it uses a rack style servo. I drove a 70 GTO today that we used that box in and you get the same feed back from it that you do with a rack and pinion set up without the problems of try to put a rack into a chassis that was never designed to have rack and pinion steering.

Kevin
Campbell Auto Restoration

astroracer
12-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Take kevins advice and stick with a recirc. ball box. Putting a R&P in anything takes a lot of design work and just any rack will not work. The inner tie rod points need to be in the correct relationship to the upper and lower control arm pivots not only fore & aft but side to side AND up and down. Not taking these points into consideration will give you an ill handling car with outrageous bump steer, ackerman and turning radius issues. Leave the racks for the racers with revised geometry and go with an updated box...
Just my 2 cents
Mark

TravisB
12-05-2005, 09:56 AM
TravisB, you've installed a rack n' pinion on an A body?

what year A body?

What are the problems your experiencing with it?

Im not sure if im looking into this mod yet, its just interesting to see some options out there.

thanks, Brian.

Having a very difficult time getting the bumpsteer issue resolved.....been working on it for awhile and it is still not right probably gonna have to go back the steering box set up! :mad:

astroracer
12-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Don't know if you have looked at this site...
http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13
The suspension AND rack design need to be coordinated to get the points to match the illustration at the bottom of the article. If you can't do that with your combo you need to go back to the drawing board.
I designed the front suspension for my van around a Corvette R&P. That is what I used as a starting point and then developed the entire suspension around those inner pivot points. Just slapping any old rack into an existing suspension will cause more grief then it is worth, as many of you have discovered...
Mark