PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelt Solutions???

SinCityChevelle
11-28-2005, 01:53 AM
I am looking for a safe seatbelt solution for my 1970 Chevelle. I don't want the stock seatbelts because of the lack of a shoulder harness and I don't want a roll bar so installing 5-Point harnesses safely is not going to be an option either, unless you guys know of another way. So what are my options since I don't want to put in a roll bar? Thanks in advance for any help.

mrgto
11-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Some company, maybe OPG, was making a retro fit shoulder seat belt kit for the older cars. I will see what I can find out about it.

MaxHarvard
11-28-2005, 10:38 AM
You could always do what i did, which was to put a set of 3 pt. Double release belts from Corbeau.

They go through the holes in the top of the seat, then bolt into the existing holes in the back seat belt brackets. Just thread the belt between the upper and lower half of the back seat. If you want folks in the back, you just unbuckle the top half of the belt and you are good to go.

The only down side is that folks in the back wont have a seat belt. This is safe according to Corbeau, it was in their instruction manual that this is a safe way to route the blets. Otherwise i wouldnt tell you to do it LOL ;)

Just please, please, please do not bolt the shoulder straps to the floor right behind the drivers seat, its is very very unsafe.

here's a pic of my install

http://anti-rice.com/me/camaro/album/images/DSC01186.jpg

SinCityChevelle
11-28-2005, 12:01 PM
^^^ That is not too safe either from just looking at it. Here's why...

4 & 5 point harnesses without a roll bar increases your risk of fatal injury in the event of a rollover. With the shoulder harnesses designed the way they are, if the roof caves in on you, they do not let your body move enough so your neck takes all of the impact of the roof.

SinCityChevelle
11-28-2005, 11:52 PM
Even a brace across the back would be unsafe. In no way should 4 or 5-point harnesses be used without rollover protection. They don't allow you enough freedom to move if the roof caves in on you in a rollover. The only thing allowed to move would be your neck and that doesn't move very far.

I found this guy on Pro-Touring.com. I will be going with this setup.
http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com

Little Bob
11-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Check this place out. I have a friend that works for this place. He told me that they are going to be making products for the muscle car people. They have alot of products in the works. If you don't see what you need, call them. I know for a fact they are putting a new line together. They also have a new woodgrining tool for that custom look.

http://www.julianos.com/

Musclerodz
11-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Try Morris Custom Classics. They have a retro fit kit for shoulder harness install on Camaros and may have for Chevelles.

Mike

SinCityChevelle
11-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Julianos is another good option, but offers the 3-point retractable harness as a universal kit whereas Morris Classic Customs has model specific applications which makes me more comfortable. Julianos ones are cheaper though. Thanks for the help guys, but I think I am pretty set on the Morris Classic Custom Ones.

morrisclassic
11-30-2005, 10:36 AM
We have had people to buy universal fit seatbelts then return them and buy ours. They say that there is too much hassle making them fit and function properly. Ours don't ride up on your neck as universial fit seatbelts do. Also we us grade 8 bolts and stainless steel brackets.

Billy