PDA

View Full Version : Which Big Brake Kit?

SinCityChevelle
11-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Well I was going to go with a Baer Brakes Track Kit, but I recently found out that there is a 6-8 week wait on them. Is there any other alternative? I am just looking for adequate stopping power and most of all, looks. This is just a show/cruiser car and I highly doubt I will be doing any track days with it since I have a dedicated track car already. My car is in Huntington Beach right now being stored at my parent's house so I would like to find a shop around there that can get me some brakes and install them. Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh yeah its for a 1970 Chevelle with a 12 bolt rear end and currently has drum rears and disc fronts, which are broken as of now so thats why I don't want to wait for the Bear Brakes kit. I want to get her back on the road asap.

XcYZ
11-28-2005, 07:39 AM
You could try checking with Wilwood or Precision Brakes, or you could look into doing an LS brake swap.

syborg tt
11-28-2005, 08:38 AM
i've had great luck with

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/index.html

they custom built a kit for the front and rear of my ride.

TravisB
11-28-2005, 10:31 AM
I have wilwoods from precision brake company......very good to deal with! I always talk with kevin!

SinCityChevelle
11-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Awesome. Thanks guys!

mrgto
11-29-2005, 12:11 PM
This is what i was quoted from Precision. Sound good? Anyone have pics of their brakes for comparison? Thanks.

http://www.precisionbrakes.com/precisionimages/nissan-maxima-2pc-kit.jpg

Sorry it has taken me a bit to get back to you with the holidays going on i was gone most of last week.
If I owned the car i would go with a 13" X 32mm 2 peice cross-drilled and slotted or at least slotted rotors with Wilwood 4 piston superlite calipers and Porterfeild R4S pads. This setup will give you the best performance with the best look. The rear setup is pretty easy to get taken care of i would go with the Wilwood kit for the 12 bolt. Do you have c-clips or not? Either way the kit is a 12.19 X 22mm cross-drilled and slotted 2 peice with parking brake using Wilwood 4 piston Dynalite calipers. The only other thing i would suggest is a proportioning valve and possibly a Master cylinder.
The front kit would be a custom kit for your GTO this kit will come with rotors, calipers, brackets, spacers (if needed), pads, ss lines, hardware, and instructions the kit will cost 1750.00 if you choose to go with my suggestions, you can get this front kit about 50.00 cheaper by not using the R4S pads. This front setup will take around 6-8 weeks to produce and requires a 50% deposit to get it started. The prop valve is 41.95 and the master cylinder if needed will be 200.00. The rear kit will be 704.95 and will need SS lines which will be 70.00 for the pair. Throw in a nice powder coating of the caliper and brackets for 150 front and 120 rear.
As always with the pro-touring discount you will recieve a free 6 pack of Wilwood 570 brake fluid and free shipping.
hopefully this helps if you have any other questions please give me shout.

syborg tt
11-29-2005, 12:28 PM
As always with the pro-touring discount you will recieve a free 6 pack of Wilwood 570 brake fluid and free shipping.

i'm going to have to talk with them as i didn't get free brake fluid

SinCityChevelle
11-29-2005, 12:33 PM
This is what i was quoted from Precision. Sound good? Anyone have pics of their brakes for comparison? Thanks.

http://www.precisionbrakes.com/precisionimages/nissan-maxima-2pc-kit.jpg

Sorry it has taken me a bit to get back to you with the holidays going on i was gone most of last week.
If I owned the car i would go with a 13" X 32mm 2 peice cross-drilled and slotted or at least slotted rotors with Wilwood 4 piston superlite calipers and Porterfeild R4S pads. This setup will give you the best performance with the best look. The rear setup is pretty easy to get taken care of i would go with the Wilwood kit for the 12 bolt. Do you have c-clips or not? Either way the kit is a 12.19 X 22mm cross-drilled and slotted 2 peice with parking brake using Wilwood 4 piston Dynalite calipers. The only other thing i would suggest is a proportioning valve and possibly a Master cylinder.
The front kit would be a custom kit for your GTO this kit will come with rotors, calipers, brackets, spacers (if needed), pads, ss lines, hardware, and instructions the kit will cost 1750.00 if you choose to go with my suggestions, you can get this front kit about 50.00 cheaper by not using the R4S pads. This front setup will take around 6-8 weeks to produce and requires a 50% deposit to get it started. The prop valve is 41.95 and the master cylinder if needed will be 200.00. The rear kit will be 704.95 and will need SS lines which will be 70.00 for the pair. Throw in a nice powder coating of the caliper and brackets for 150 front and 120 rear.

The brakes do look nice. I really don't want to wait 6-8 weeks to get my car back on the road though. Thanks anyway.

TravisB
11-29-2005, 12:55 PM
the 6-8 week time period is for a custom kit from precision....if you order a regular wilwood kit from them you can have them as early as 3 days or something like that! Wilwood has a kit for the a-body's for sure becuase I have one....the easiest way to do it is call them

call Kevin tell him Travis of Kenny Davis Hot rods sent you and he will take care of you! :thumbsup:

SinCityChevelle
11-29-2005, 12:56 PM
the 6-8 week time period is for a custom kit from precision....if you order a regular wilwood kit from them you can have them as early as 3 days or something like that! Wilwood has a kit for the a-body's for sure becuase I have one....the easiest way to do it is call them

call Kevin tell him Travis of Kenny Davis Hot rods sent you and he will take care of you! :thumbsup:

Oh I see. Thats more like it. Thanks!