PDA

View Full Version : rear brake help for sen gen

lukky 71
02-20-2010, 09:22 PM
i have a 71 camaro. im leaving stock disc up front but want to put to run disc in rear. i have a 12bolt and i have see some cars with disc off of 2000 camaros with cadillac calipers. what brackets for do you use for calipers? what master cylinder and porp valve do you use? can any one help me with this or would it just be better to order a complete kit from some company. on a budget and just want to shop around for my best options. thank you for any help.

72OBSESSED
02-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I have the wilwood setup on mine with the internal parking brake. They work great and look great. And they aren't a bad price, I think mine were $699 at the time. They look way better than a late model setup. I used a ssbc prop valve and brought it through the floor just left of the driver's seat

xpsled
02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Are you talking Cadillac multi piston brembo calipers? Be very careful running a multi piston style caliper on the rears without a full floater diff. As the flanged axle moves under hard cornering it knocks the pads back into the caliper and then when you push the pedal your first couple of inches of travel there are no brakes, not even fronts as all that fluid is just moving the pads back towards the rotor. I am going through this issue at the moment. Just something to think about!!!!

Apogee
02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
i have a 71 camaro. im leaving stock disc up front but want to put to run disc in rear. i have a 12bolt and i have see some cars with disc off of 2000 camaros with cadillac calipers. what brackets for do you use for calipers? what master cylinder and porp valve do you use? can any one help me with this or would it just be better to order a complete kit from some company. on a budget and just want to shop around for my best options. thank you for any help.

First, why do you want discs in the rear? Is this a decision based on perceived performance requirements, looks, or maybe both? I ask because drums can be made to work quite well...discs a bit better, but at a price.

I think you're getting your applications a little mixed up. The second generation F-body uses a GM 10/12-bolt rear axle with c-clip axles and staggered shocks. The rear axle housing flange pattern and offset are the same as the earlier A/F/X-bodies, so generally the same brake options will apply taking minor tweaks into consideration for the staggered shocks and other minor details. That said, there are several more popular swaps, however without knowing more about your car, it's tough to say what will or won't work since wheels play a major roll as to what brakes will fit.

The 1993-1997 F-body (LT1) rear brakes are a very popular swap. Baer and many other aftermarket companies sell these types of kits based on the first generation PBR rear calipers with integral parking brakes, however the factory stuff is basically a direct bolt-on to your application with a thin spacer to account for the larger brake offset dimension. There are a few different rotor diameter options depending on the brackets you use, so wheel fitment will vary based on the kit's rotor choice.

The 1998-2002 F-body (LS1) brakes are also basically bolt-on with a spacer, however they utilize an internal drum-in-hat parking brake design similar to the C5/C6 Corvettes. They also use rotors that are the same size as the C5/C6 base level rear rotors, albeit not quite the same quality. The LS1 rotors have straight cooling vanes versus the C5/C6 directional/pillar vane designs which are ~20% more efficient. Due to the staggered shocks, caliper to shock interference tends to be an issue, as can be parking cable routing. Do a search and you'll finds dozens of threads on this swap.

The most common "Cadillac" rear disc kits utilize the late 70's to early 80's Caddy calipers with integral parking brakes. The parking brake mechanism's are integral to the pad wear adjustment, so the parking brake must be used religiously in order to maintain reasonably consistent operation. Most of these kits for the second-gens use the 1979-1981 Pontiac Firebird rear rotors and will fit inside a 15" wheel.

Then there are the more performance oriented aftermarket and late-model C5/C6 based rear brake kits. We specialize in C5/C6 based kits, however it's a moot point unless you're running 17" wheels or larger as will be the case with many of the pro-touring specific aftermarket brake kits. There are distinct advantages to buying a complete kit, especially if you're not comfortable making those types of decisions regarding your brakes and ultimately your safety.

Tobin
KORE3