PDA

View Full Version : wilwood or baer

grif54
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I was just wondering everyones opinion on if I should use wilwood or baer brakes for my 64 corvette project. I will be using the 6 piston 13inch rotors for either one of the manufactures. I've used baer once and they seem to work well and was very pleased with the fitment, but the wilwood seems to be getting popular. Thanks for any help.

ProdigyCustoms
02-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Some of that decision may be determined for you but the spindles and axle ends you use. Are you using a aftermarket chassis?

grif54
02-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm using stock everthing other than the offset rear trailing arms from vansteel. They sell wilwood brakes and seem to be leaning me towards them but are leaving it up to me.

ProdigyCustoms
02-12-2010, 10:31 PM
There is your decision, We have 13" (6) piston Wilwood kits for your car. You are correct, Wilwood has become much more popular in the last few years. No need losing any sleep over the decision, both are great brakes, but I did not see a listing for Baer for your car, and even if they had something the Baer price would not be able to touch our Wilwood pricing.

grif54
02-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks a lot for your help Frank I may be calling you about a front and rear setup.

g356gear
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I went with Willwood just for the look of the rear calipers. They match the fronts with a single piece look. The Baers I found had an unfinished factory stock GM look like any street car would have.

grif54
02-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I was leaning that way for that same reason. The baers don't look as good in my opinion. I also like them because they can be manual brakes and I like the cleaner look of just a master cylinder in a 64 vette.

Marauder
02-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I just purchased a Wilwood rear disc brake kit and did so partly because of the appearance as well.

deuce_454
02-20-2010, 10:42 AM
i drive my car alot and the decider for me was that wilwoods dont have seals... my bear/touring classics do....

if you only take it out occationally and not in the rain.. go with willwood, brembo & AP are far supperior to willwood imho, bit the cost is much higher

68protouring454
02-20-2010, 07:25 PM
baer's new 6s and 6p series calipers are same size all around, they work very well and are similer priced to a big wilwood kit. Baer is making there own calipers now, its not the pbr's of old.
jake

grif54
02-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all of the advice.

JRouche
02-23-2010, 12:12 AM
I have an opinion but Im not sure its correct.

I think wilwood used to be more track oriented. Meaning the brakes they offered were kinda like a custom fit for the buyer or a bolt up for the common racing applications. Not very street user oriented.

Things have changed at wilwood. They offer hubs and brackets for a very large variety of cars now. The hub selection is pretty large. Their web site is a lil difficult to get to the hub listings. But its there. And they have a large PDF library of all the hubs, brackets, and calipers with great diagrams.

Baer has always produced great products. But their line is more purpose suited to specific cars. Im not sure they have as much of a mix and match system.

Both companies produce really nice products. But for a hot rodder there might be a lil more available with wilwood. I think their hub line makes it easier for a guy building up a brake system. Sometime you can mix and match hubs and bearings to make a fitment for a specific spindle. And the brackets are the easy part. JR

clill
02-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Baer also sponsors many of the events we like to attend. I don't remember seeing Wilwood sponsor any. Given a choice on even products I will always choose the one that supports us. It's the right thing to do........And I like the Baer bunch......:P

Vegas69
02-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Good call Charley.:thumbsup:

lhkustoms
02-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Good call Charley.:thumbsup:

X2 :lateral:

And to the OP Baer does offer a kit for the front of your 64 and I dont see one listed for the rear but I will check with them and see. I am offering a special on Baer brakes and have pricing too low to print and free shipping. PM me for details.

GregWeld
02-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Good call Charley -- it's why companies choose to sponsor various events - and we should all support them with our business when and if we can. :thumbsup:

youthpastor
02-23-2010, 02:26 PM
i've used other- Baer is a WAY more complete kit- Wilwood- ok but ..

Bryce
02-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Im running wilwoods on my 65 falcon. 11.75" with the dynalites. I like the kit alot. went together very fast and everything was there. The aluminum hubs are a plus.

Does baer offer a aluminum hub for the 65 mustang? I need something for my drag car. I may end up building my own kit, nothing out there seems to work for me. I need a zero offset hub that will work with a 10.75" rotor.

tones2SS
02-23-2010, 03:12 PM
I do believe that Penny is running Baer brakes as well. That should tell us all something as well. We all know how hard Steve drives that bad boy. Orange Krate is also getting Baer brakes.
Not saying that Wilwood don't make a great set-up. I don't think you can go wrong with neither one.:thumbsup:

grif54
02-23-2010, 10:31 PM
I agree with you guys on trying to support the supporters as much as possible. One of the reasons I am leaning towards the wilwoods is because the company that I am buying some of my suspension parts from designed the kit with wilwood. I did notice that baer didn't offer a kit for a 64, but that doesn't matter because I am changing all the parts over to 65 parts and both companies offer front and rear kits for 65and up. I also have another idea but I'm not sure I can pull it off. I am putting an ls7 in it and would like to use zo6 brakes on it but I don't have the equipment to build the brackets(or the time) so that is why I'm trying to buy a kit. Thanks.