PDA

View Full Version : Operation Muscle Truck

Muscle Car PWR
02-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Anybody been following the build-up of Operation Muscle Truck in Street Trucks Magazine? It's a '95 Chevy shortbed on Air ride Tech susp. 20-inch bonspeed wheels, Baer brakes, 383 small-block, retro muscle car paint scheme and houndstooth interior.

tobenk
02-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes I have been Travis and its badass too. Love it. :thumbsup:

BlackenedRR
02-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Ahhh, I've been waiting for this thread to start...

CKTA
02-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Love it Travis, but I gotta ask.

1. Why did you put black handles on it? The white handles are MUCH nicer.

2. Why did you paint it w/ the old white handles in?

Muscle Car PWR
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Two words

SEMA RUSH

Black handles tie in with the black stripes, black mirrors etc.

Should have it turned and running solid in the next week and start driving it

BlackenedRR
02-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Please tell me we're gonna see a nice, smokey burnout vid by this weekend? Please, Travis?! This truck is definitely inspiring my GMC...

Muscle Car PWR
02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Still battling computer issues. Should have it dialed soon and doing smoky burnouts.

BlackenedRR
02-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Gotta love the gremlins!

Jr
02-16-2010, 11:01 PM
This truck looked great at sema. The wheels/tire and stance look sweet :thumbsup:

Muscle Car PWR
02-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. I've had a lot of fun building this truck and can't wait to drive it and enjoy it.

Jr
02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
What kind of seats do you have in the truck?

Muscle Car PWR
02-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Seats are buckets out of a '91 Chevy 1500 pickup

6spdcamaro
02-18-2010, 08:24 PM
:ttiwop:

Muscle Car PWR
02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
I aggree on the lack of pics. I don't know how to post them or i would put them up. Who can post them for me?

BlackenedRR
02-19-2010, 01:39 AM
PM sent...

Jr
02-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Here is a link to the website.

http://www.streettrucksmag.com/tech/tech-articles/154-operation-muscle-truck-part-5

6spdcamaro
02-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Cool project. Thanks for the link its a good looking truck

Muscle Car PWR
02-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks Guys. It was a fun project to build and I still have a few more plans for it. What I like about it the most is that we built it almost entirely out of my two car garage and driveway with basic tools from my craftsman tool box just the way most of my readers would do it. The 88-98's are pretty affordable to build and you can have a lot of fun in one for a fraction of the price of doing an old muscle car. Of course being the Editor of a Muscle Car mag as well I am partial to muscle cars as well. This is my 5th '88-98 Chevy C/K pickup. I've had 2 standard cabs, an extended cab 1500, a crew cab 3/4-ton 2500 8-lugger, and a 1-ton crew cab dually. Op. Muscle Truck is my daily driver now. I am hoping to pound on it on the Autocross this season at Goodguys events.

Travis

SS350Sport
02-23-2010, 09:41 PM
So where are all the pictures? I love this truck, I'm building a similar 91 Sport. I have been following the magazine articles and there is not near enough pictures. I would love to see more.

Muscle Car PWR
02-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I need to take a few hours and compile everything. We shot thousands of pictures while building it and will shoot more once we run it through the cones and test the grip of the rear tires. Got to make a few deadlines and I'll work on getting the pics up here. Glad the project is striking a chord with alot of you. These trucks are a great platform for performance and there are lots of parts for them.

Post some pics of your '91 and others that are working on them

BlackenedRR
02-24-2010, 01:14 AM
Here's the thread with pics of my '95 GMC, if you want to see what I'm starting off with:cheers:

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19690

Muscle Car PWR
02-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Very cool Jeff. What are your plans for it?

BlackenedRR
02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Plans are to clean it up and make it a dependable driver that will handle being thrown around on twisty roads and road courses. Hopefully I'll be able to order some 20's for it soon, and eventually I want to put ShockWaves at all 4 corners. Oh yeah, I heard there's this magazine giving away an LS3, so I've been entering my name for that since I'd love to have an LS motor under the hood... LOL!

SS350Sport
02-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Post some pics of your '91 and others that are working on them

Here's a link to the thread.
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?p=271676#post271676

Muscle Car PWR
02-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Cool projects everybody. These truck are so cool-timeless body style.

PASD U
03-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Just caught up with this build and I LOVE IT. The paint, the stance, the wheels, the interior. I like that it's a fairly simple build. Nice clean, timeless look. Classy. I just wish I could've jumped in before Part 7! I've already pulled a couple ideas to use.

I'm trying to semi-secretly do a build like this for/with my dad so this is perfect fuel for it. I agree though...I need more pictures! Interior, wheels, everything.

Muscle Car PWR
03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Truck was a ton of fun to buld. Updating computer right now for more fuel. Should have her back at the end of next week and ready to shred some rubber and rip though the cones.

PASD U
03-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Can't wait.

Was wondering, can you post the technique, shade and materials you used to change the dash color? Also where SEM paint is available? Thanks.

Muscle Car PWR
03-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Cleaned the dash and interior plastics with PST cleaner which comes in a small cardboard box. It's a powder. Mixed that in with warm water (I believe there was a ratio) and scrubbed all plastics with a soft sponge. You want to get out all the oils and such out of the plastic from years of hands touching, various vinyl cleaners used etc. car wash shine oils etc. Once you have a good cleaning and rinse done with water we used SEM gloss black to dye everything. I got the SEM paint from Coast Airbrush in Anaheim, CA. They carry and can order a variety of vinyl dye paints from SEM. It's holding up pretty good so far and is easy enough to touch up.

Muscle Car PWR
03-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I need to get all build pics up here. Need some education on how to load 'em

Jr
03-17-2010, 12:06 AM
I need to get all build pics up here. Need some education on how to load 'em

Use the manage attachment link under the attach files. Let me know if you need any help.

Gasoline
03-17-2010, 07:57 AM
This truck is what has brought me back into the sport/muscle truck world. After reading part 5 on operation muscle truck truck i said enough. I put the old vw on hold status and bought a solid 97 c-truck short box reg cab. Just wanted to say thanks for the much needed inspiration. Just a couple questions PWR what would you say was the real amount you lowered the truck if it were to equal a static drop, 6/8 maybe? And did you leave the roof liner grey or was that recovered?

Muscle Car PWR
03-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Gasoline- Thanks for the kind words on the project. On the drop I would say 6/8 to 7/9 but I wouldn't recommend hammering one that low without air. A 5/7 is perfect on these without air. The headliner was recovered in black vinyl. I'm glad the project inspired you-that was the goal.

PASD U
03-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the info. The truck is simply beautiful. Also, I was thinking yesterday you could do a second truck. My idea is, since the 1st gen RS Camaro was an appearance package, you could do a phantom grill with a silver paint job and have the RS graphic down the side.:thumbsup: Maybe a little cheesy but I thought it was cool last night. Haha.

BlackenedRR
03-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Travis, the whole idea behind this truck, and the truck itself, is just double-throwdown badass!!! I hope it inspires more performance oriented builds in the sport truck scene, it'd be pretty cool to start seeing autocross courses popping up at truck shows.

Muscle Car PWR
03-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Truck is a lot of fun and was a blast to build. I'd like to see this build get the Autocross thing going strong for trucks. should have the computer upgraded next week and driving shortly.

796spdbu
03-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Trav,

A few questions.

1) as being a owner of several of these trucks and learning them. I noticed you said you have been running into tuning issues. I know when you installed the 383 you added the bigger throttle body,but did not go into any details about the computer. I know from experience the factory throttle body trucks dont take well to any engine mods. I was a little worried that you wouldnt touch on this topic in the mag.

2) I have on my engine stand a 355" with vortec heads and the same GM vortec TBI intake and would like to know also how you did the EGR tube? When you installed the Gibson headers did you use the 96-99 truck headers that had the bung for the EGR tube or did you fab one up.

I am building a 90' model truck that will mimic your build. Im painting mine white also but Im going to run the "Sport" stripes on the bottom of my truck. I will paint the stripes on instead of the rubber trim. Mine is dropped 5/7. Wheels are still undecided.

Several years ago at the local speed shop a guy came cruising in,in a lowered white 90 "sport" and it had a whine to it. I asked him if he would mind spec'n his truck. It had a 350 out of a vette with a vortec super charger,17x11 boyd wheels with a 315/35 bfg comp t/a, a flip kit with Competion Engineering housing floaters and ladder bars. He offered to take me a ride. That was the most fun and most memoriable time I ever had in a truck. Its his truck that has enfluence my build until I saw your project. Now mine is a taste of both trucks.

Thanks Trav for a cool project and a cool mag.

Greg

PASD U
03-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Curious...has anyone ever done an LSx in one of these?

tobenk
03-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Im doin one rite now. A 88 year model.

BlackenedRR
03-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I wanna do an LS3 in mine, but it's last on a long list of things of mods I want to do right now.

PASD U
03-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Im doin one rite now. A 88 year model.

Hahaha. Forgot that fast.

PASD U
03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Any pictures for us?

796spdbu
04-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Any updates Travis. Did you read my questions?

Jr
04-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Travis,
Did you think about putting an LS motor in this truck? I think the body style plus LS combo would have been killer!

Muscle Car PWR
04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I thought about an LS but this little 383 scoots pretty good. I got the truck back tonight from getting the Mega Squirt computer installed, wired and tuned. She runs and drives. After all the hard work those few laps around the block today were all worth it. My friend Marcel who helped me with the majority of the project and lives down the street from me jumped in for a lap. She runs awesome. Needs more tuning on a wheel dyno but once that is done I am ready for some track time.

It's amazing how you can pull the late nights, get frustrated with the build, push through the scrapes and trials and the minute you crank the key and take that first drive it all washes away. We had a blast building this truck.

Muscle Car PWR
04-01-2010, 11:20 PM
796- I saw your questions and am working on your answers

tobenk
04-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Travis glad u got the truck running. Im sure it was a blast doin the first drive.
I cant wait for mine.

Muscle Car PWR
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Got it running. Jesse and the crew from LTL Motorsports here in Yorba linda, Ca put in lots of time to get it running and base tuned. I drove it around a bit last night just here in the neighborhood. Runs awesome and with that 2000 stall the power comes on strong and she gets rolling when you get into it. I'll be taking it to a buddy who has a wheel dyno to put a load to it and deepen the tune but for now atleast I can cruise it. Can't wait until i can hammer on it a bit although I should probably still behave myself until I put a stronger tranny in it-still has the stock 4l60 with the stall. Probably needs a stronger 3rd member too.

tobenk
04-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Yea Travis u start hammerin on it u will find the weak links. Lol Thats why I'm tryin to fix all them to start with on mine. It looks great thou and I'm sure fun to be driving it.

796spdbu
04-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Travis,
I saw you at the RTTC event and was going to introduce myself,but you seemed to have your hands full. Bummer on my part as I have followed your editorals for awhile now. Im sure some where Ill catch up and meet you.

Thanks for reading my post/questions. I ask because I am in the middle of the same conversion as I stated earlier. Ill post a build link soon.

As far as your rear axle goes,I wouldnt worry tomuch about it. I would add a limited slip diff/ posi unit and at the most a set of axle from moser. Those rear ends have an 8.5" ring gear and is only a 1/4" smaller than a 12 bolt car rear end. It is only slightly smaller than the 8.8" that everyone likes so well.

Thanks again travis and I look forward to your response soon!

Greg

Muscle Car PWR
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Greg- Thanks for the positive comments. I wish you would have came up and said hello. I always enjoy meeting readers and fellow enthusiasts. I'll probably just do a carrier and axles like you suggested just to beefen it up. Tranny needs some attention to. Drove it to work today and she ran great. Pulls nicely through the gears and RPM range. Can't wait to get it all dialed and start auto cross'n it. For now it is just plain fun to drive.

796spdbu
04-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Travis,I only had a short break to run to get something to drink. I was working the autocross as a cone corrector!! LOL. Im glad you are getting to enjoy the truck. I really dig it! Look forward to seeing the next step in the magizine.

What is the Mega Squirt computer all about. I saw you said you had to wire it in? I know you said you are working on getting my answers,Just wanted to add that question.

Greg

Jr
04-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Travis,
You were at the RTTC event at El Toro? I would have introduced myself, but I had no idea you showed up to the event. When are you going to post more pics of that truck?

PASD U
04-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Travis (if I may call you that). This is ALL YOUR FAULT. I caught a NASTY virus this weekend.

I've got it bad...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/KeithG_2006/My%20Grey%20Ghost/th_ArtandTheNewGreyGhost018.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/KeithG_2006/My%20Grey%20Ghost/?action=view&current=ArtandTheNewGreyGhost018.jpg)

...but maybe I don't want to "cure" it just yet. Hahahaha

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/KeithG_2006/My%20Grey%20Ghost/th_ArtandTheNewGreyGhost017.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/KeithG_2006/My%20Grey%20Ghost/?action=view&current=ArtandTheNewGreyGhost017.jpg)

Build thread coming soon.

-Keith

Muscle Car PWR
04-13-2010, 08:39 PM
I'll e-mail pics to someone if they can post em. Getting the full dyno tune in two weeks. Probably run the feature soon on it and it will have a few shots running some cones and hopefully a good burnout shot. After that address the trans and rear end.

glad to see this project sparked more interest in the CK trucks again.

Muscle Car PWR
04-13-2010, 09:31 PM
I was at RTTC. I was hanging by the Auto Cross most of the morning and wearing a black Muscle Car Power shirt. At events i am almost always wearing either a black Street Trucks shirt or a Muscle Car Power shirt. I'm about 5foot 7. I look forward to meeting many of you. Let's talk trucks, muscle cars, speed, horsepower, hanging corners whatever.

PASD U
04-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Very cool. Hope you might venture out to GoodGuys Fort Worth, I'd love to talk trucks, cars and other junk n stuff.

If you want I'll post the pics up for you. Just give me till tomorrow evening to actually get them up and it'll happen. I'm DEFINITELY interested in the interior pics!!! I need ideas. Will hopefully be converting this one over to the 95 style interior with some creativity.

tobenk
04-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Congrats on the new truck PASD U. Looks great. That virus is a pain in the ___. LOL Hey u start workin on it that virus will go away.:D. I would like to see some pics of Travis truck too.

BlackenedRR
04-14-2010, 01:43 AM
PASD U, great looking truck!! Specs on it? Plans?

Travis, I'm gonna have to agree, it's definitely your fault with this CK uprising!:cheers: Ever since I bought mine, I've been going over every issue of StreetTrucks I have and reading the CK features again and again. If I get mine mostly done before I move to Texas, I'll cruise out to SoCal and the first round's on me!

PASD U
04-14-2010, 05:45 AM
PASD U, great looking truck!! Specs on it? Plans?

Travis, I'm gonna have to agree, it's definitely your fault with this CK uprising!:cheers: Ever since I bought mine, I've been going over every issue of StreetTrucks I have and reading the CK features again and again. If I get mine mostly done before I move to Texas, I'll cruise out to SoCal and the first round's on me!

When are you moving to Texas and what part? I'm in Fort Worth.

BlackenedRR
04-14-2010, 10:20 AM
When are you moving to Texas and what part? I'm in Fort Worth.
Probably in August, I'll be somewhere in the DFW area. I grew up in Arlington and Mansfield, but I haven't lived there or visited much since '96.

PASD U
04-14-2010, 02:47 PM
My plans are some of the normal stuff...

-Cowl Hood
-Roll Pan
-95+ grill w/ billet insert
-Smoothie Bumper
-Shaved Tailgate
-Tail lights
-Head lights
-4/6 or 5/7 drop for now (quality and comfort is my main concern here), -RideTech Shockwaves for the future
-95+ Interior swap
-LSx (eventually)

Then there's the Secret Squirrel stuff... :unibrow:

Well once you hit dirt here in "the land of everything has to have a star on it", hit me up and we'll compare notes!

BlackenedRR
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Seems like we have some of the same mods in mind. I'm also planning on Shockwaves, LS motor, maybe a cowl hood. I've already got a rollpan on mine, but it needs to be reworked to fix the previous owners welds. I wanted LED tails for mine, but can't find any that don't look sorta ricer. Same for projector headlights, none that I've seen look right on this body style.

PASD U
04-14-2010, 05:41 PM
(yelling outside to California) You gettin this stuff Travis?! You see what you made us do?

Hahaha.

Jeff, sent you a PM.

Muscle Car PWR
04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys. I'll gladly take the rap for the CK resurgence. They are such cool trucks. Op Muscle is running good and gets a dyno tune next weekend. New tranny goes in about 3 weeks and then I plan to upgrade the rear end with axles, gears and 3rd member. Deciding what to do with the seat belts. They are factory and Momma still wants a shoulder belt. Don't think it will look right with harnesses and the houndstooth interior. Probably just dye the factory grey ones black and vinyl dye the retractor. Got a few more things to clean up and finish on her. Hoping to take the weekend to work on it.

I e-mailed a bunch of build up and a few finished pics to Bill Howell to post here so pics will be up very soon. Thanks for the patience. I'm pretty good at shooting them but not so much at loading them up on sites. Beauty pics will be done in a few weeks once I finish up the console and button up a few things. Looking forward to meeting many of you.

Travis

SS350Sport
04-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Travis sent me (Richard Howell) the pictures to post up, no relation to Bill. Funny misunderstanding by both of us. It was good talking to you today Travis, Thanks again. I left the pictures somewhat large, I know everyone has been clamoring for them. Here they are. 15 here, 4 more below. Enjoy...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/d19f531f.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/b29ae2e2.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/3f32490b.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/28b2cbdb.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/3fb5c427.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/28d2d524.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/03b4ed90.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/2ca88195.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/39b4892d.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/7472bf0a.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/2a7fe97c.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/4bd5bcbe.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/a9d40403.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/d5dc9f9c.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/ef76fc31.jpg

Four more below...

SS350Sport
04-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Last four.
Travis, any time you need something posted don't hesitate to send them to me.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/8fd83339.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/37d1c572.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/1951d1cc.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/1bc8bd00.jpg

PASD U
04-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Why does it have to be so nice?! I absolutely love the interior...amongst many other aspects of it. I look forward to any more pictures, progress and future plans you post up!

Muscle Car PWR
04-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks Richard for posting these. I really appreciate the help.

Pasdu-Thanks for the compliments. I have a few more things to tidy up and she is a done deal. I want to change the belts to black so they don't stand out so much and it's getting a Tahoe console painted black. Might put an old school chrome tach in it somewhere. Thinking about a K&N chrome air cleaner for it so it has a more old school look over the stock black air cleaner.

I've been driving it. The headers are blue'ing up nicely.

BlackenedRR
04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Is that my LS3 in the bed?:lol:

70TWO NOVA
04-15-2010, 11:04 PM
that is one sick truck! plain and simple, less is definitely more!

Muscle Car PWR
04-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks 70TwoNova. I'm having fun with it. It's my daily driver.

70TWO NOVA
04-15-2010, 11:07 PM

that is sweet man, even better to be able to drive that thing everyday and show it off.

PASD U
04-15-2010, 11:08 PM
I do have a question...reportedly there is some argument about the rear disc conversion on these trucks. What's your take on it? Some say do it, others say why bother. (reporter voice) Tell us, Travis, in your own words...how would you weigh in on the rear disc vs. rear drum debate?

Muscle Car PWR
04-15-2010, 11:18 PM

Muscle Car PWR
04-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Do the rear disc conversion. It is well worth it. My truck stops bitchin. Makes a big difference when youy really get rollin

PASD U
04-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Baer front and back?

Muscle Car PWR
04-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Baer front and back. 6-pistons up front and 4 piston in the rear.i've adjusted my braking habits to these as i do not have to brake anywhere near as hard or early. Can't wait to see how the whole package performs on the autocross

PASD U
04-15-2010, 11:53 PM
VERY cool. Could you do me a favor? That debate I talked about...there were some folks wanting to see a big brake set up on the 88-98. If you could possibly post a side shot of OP MT for me and email me the pic. Would love to show the other guys. That thread is nearing 3 pages and still no post of an 88-98 with a BBK. Hahaha

PASD U
04-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Travis, question on the SEM vinyl paint. Did you guys use gloss...SEM code #15233? Just thought that might've came out even shinier.

Also, where'd you source the black carpet?

tobenk
04-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Very cool truck Travis. I see u put the big 6 piston brakes on the front how come nobody offers 4 pistons for the front on these trucks? Love the way u did the whole truck. Thanks

Muscle Car PWR
04-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Pasdu-

On the SEM vinyl dye paint i believe we used Semi Gloss. I know it was not flat. The black loop carpeting came from ACC which i got through Radi's Custom Interiors who did the seats. ACC is Auto Custom Carpets. It's a carpet kit they made in loop.

Thanks for the compliments on the truck. I'm having a blast with it. This is my 5th CK body style truck.

It goes for an alignment this morning. Needs to be squared up-never alignd after bagging it-just a rough toe adjustment.

Tranny should be in in a month and hopefully i can get the rear end rebuilt soon too. After that I am looking forward to many great times behind the wheel

CKTA
04-16-2010, 10:26 AM
VERY cool. Could you do me a favor? That debate I talked about...there were some folks wanting to see a big brake set up on the 88-98. If you could possibly post a side shot of OP MT for me and email me the pic. Would love to show the other guys. That thread is nearing 3 pages and still no post of an 88-98 with a BBK. Hahaha

Just don't come over to FSC and pass it off as your own! :lol:

PASD U
04-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks Travis. You guys are welcome to call me Keith. Thanks for all the feedback on the colors. I really like how the interior is jet black with the exception of a few accent pieces. The carpet just looks especially nice. I can't quit looking at these big pictures on here. It's refreshing to see such simple and effective graphics on a white truck.

What transmission are you going with?

Just don't come over to FSC and pass it off as your own! :lol:

I'm already over there and I would NEVER do that. :(

Ouch.

Muscle Car PWR
04-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks. I have had alot of LOUD trucks in my time so it's nice to have one clean, simple and sort of subdued.

Tranny will be a fresh 4l60-E with a 2200 stall and a shift kit. Gear star Perf. Trans in Ohio is building it.

Rear end I am just planning new axles, 3.73 gears and a Eaton Posi

CKTA
04-16-2010, 12:35 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]I'm already over there and I would NEVER do that. :(

Ouch.

I know, it was a joke. :thumbsup:

Jr
04-16-2010, 06:57 PM
This thread makes me regret selling my midnight blue 94 single cab.

Who painted the truck?

PASD U
04-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I thought everyone said the 4l60e's were "glass" trannys? Most want to bump up to 65/80's...at least from my experience.

Muscle Car PWR
04-16-2010, 10:44 PM
DJW 32- My friend Tom mcWeeney painted it. All PPG paint and SEM Hot Rod black for the graphics.

The 4l60 will be fine-not running big HP

PASD U
04-17-2010, 10:09 AM
This thread makes me regret selling my midnight blue 94 single cab.

Who painted the truck?

Pick up another one (no pun intended) and join the revolution!

Muscle Car PWR
04-17-2010, 10:20 AM
They are plentiful and still in a decent price bracket. I've seen good clean ones for 3-5k. They will have lots of miles but if you are planning new drivetrain, susp. etc. who cares?

PASD U
04-17-2010, 10:47 AM
What he said.

Jr
04-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Pick up another one (no pun intended) and join the revolution!

That is a good idea, but I have a 1970 SWB C-10 that is getting a LS 5.3 real soon. I love the classic lines of the 67-72 a bit more than the 88-98 lines.

PASD U
04-17-2010, 12:44 PM
I love those too, the 68 in particular, but I found this deal which has incidentally pushed my Chevelle project to the side. I still plan on building a 68 C10 but I KNOW it won't be as simple as a 93 could be. lol I figure it will kind of help me build up my build skills.:thumbsup:

Muscle Car PWR
04-17-2010, 10:07 PM
A '68 C-10 is on the list as well. I like the lines and the pre smog stature too. If I built one it would be yellow/white/yellow with either a nasty small block or a raspy big block backed by a Doug Nash 5-speed. Air Ride and 18's and 20's with a big fat front sway bar and a bench seat. I already have it built in my head.

The other way to go would be air ride, 18's and 20's, red oxide finish, chrome bumpers, and a weatherd logo on the doors. I would put a Line-X bedliner in it for some utility and the motor would be dressed with finned valve covers and a 59 Caddy air cleaner. I'd do billets but they would be like Billet Specialties Vintec or a Budnik Famosa with a greyish/black cast finish on the centers.

Starting to dig the trucks you can pound on and not be so paranoid about. Good solid drivers that turn heads and you can autocross and drive like a bat out of hell.

Muscle Car PWR
04-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Drove Op Muscle truck to the Liquor store this afternoon to pick up some brew and she was a blast to drive. Can't beat the rumble at a stoplight and hearing the cam. Awesome. Once i shoot some video of blazing the tires I'll load it up here.

tobenk
04-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Cool man. That sounds like fun Travis. :thumbsup:

Muscle Car PWR
04-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Lots of fun. Goes around a corner nice too!

Jr
04-18-2010, 12:18 AM
A '68 C-10 is on the list as well. I like the lines and the pre smog stature too. If I built one it would be yellow/white/yellow with either a nasty small block or a raspy big block backed by a Doug Nash 5-speed. Air Ride and 18's and 20's with a big fat front sway bar and a bench seat. I already have it built in my head.

This is a funny post. My truck is Yellow with a white top. I think I may do 20's all the way around, and the front is already sitting on bags.

Muscle Car PWR
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Cool. I'm getting to the point where I like all the trim/badges on them with a retro paint scheme. Just air and big wheels and wicked powerplant. Sounds like a cool build DJW32

PASD U
04-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Lots of fun. Goes around a corner nice too!

About what approximate drop are you when you are at ride height?

Muscle Car PWR
04-18-2010, 10:20 PM
About a 5/7 at ride height. 90 pounds in the front and 35 in the rear on 20's

Jr
05-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Is this truck going to be at GG Costa Mesa?

Muscle Car PWR
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
May have it there on display in the ridetech booth.

Jr
05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Those guys in the ridetech booth will not let you just leave that bad ass truck in the booth. Hell, I bet Bret will find (borrow) the keys and flog that truck all over the auto-x course.

PASD U
05-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Yep. Then it would HAVE to come down to Texas and repeat the same!:D

796spdbu
05-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Travis,

Would you mine elaborating on the fuel and electronic issues. I know you swapped computers but did you also swap harness' for a stand alone system? Did you do away with the egr? how did you go about hooking it up? did you add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Thanks for the help!

Greg

Muscle Car PWR
05-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Swapped out computer to a Mega Squirt. Its a stand alone. Swapping the intake to a 4bbl Weiand and topping it with a Holley 4bbl throttle body. Battled fuel issues with the two barrel TBI as it ran out of injector. Should have it dialed in a few weeks.

PASD U
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I'd like to request some aired up, ride height and layed out pics, PLEASE.:thumbsup: As many as generously possible. :D

BigMone
06-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I want some info on the wheel specs and suspension setup

Tig
06-24-2010, 02:14 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/Challenger73_2006/White%20SS%20OBS/37d1c572.jpg

The Money shot.

It looks absolutey amazing:faint: , inside and out.
One day my Hoe will look that good.
Great job :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Muscle Car PWR
06-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks. I've been showing it a bit. Took it to a few shows over the past few weeks and seems to be getting good feedback and good reviews. The older dudes like it alot. Still need to swap the intake and TBI and re-tune it. Hoping to get to that soon but got the enemy of lack of spare time fighting me. Can;t wait to get it sorted out so I can DRIVE IT HARD!!!! Comes out on cover of Sept. 2010 issue of Street Trucks

796spdbu
06-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Trav,
Did you ever get the interior finished. i thought I read talks of a center console. i know the interior was redone but was unsure about the console idea.

Greg

tobenk
06-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Cool Travis looking awesome man. :thumbsup: Cant wait to that issue comes out to see it.

PASD U
06-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Yep. What he said.

deuce_454
06-29-2010, 08:10 AM
that LS motor on the bed... is it going in a jet boat??

tobenk
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Kinda looks like a sandrail motor idk, cool either way. :cheers:

Jr
06-29-2010, 02:57 PM
That motor might be the LS3 giveaway motor for the magazine. Those headers look sweet.

Muscle Car PWR
06-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Motor in the bed is the LS3 giveaway engine for Muscle Car Power.

Never did anything with a console for Op. Muscle Truck but still want to. After looking at it again I don't think the Tahoe console will look right. I need to do a retro console of some sort-Suggesstions? I still want to run a column shift as the carpet is done but need a coneole that has old lines and will look at home. Thought about a console from a 67-72 C-10.

Headers on LS motor are sandrail headers. It was what I could get last minute before Sema and low and behold fighting the no time factor I have not been able to line up replacements.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the truck-Its alot of fun!!!

BlackenedRR
06-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Come on, let's get this right. The motor in the bed is going under the hood of my '95 GMC...:woot:

796spdbu
06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
The 67-72 console would look cool. Maybe even on efroma 73-91 K-5 Blazer. Im trying to try different ideas also as Im doing a similar style with my 90.

Greg

PASD U
06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Haha. Can we time-share it?

Muscle Car PWR
07-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Thought about a newer K-5 blazer console as well. time to do some research I guess.

796spdbu
07-01-2010, 09:02 AM
I know the 88-94 c/k console were pretty wide and had a nice look to them. the 95-00 look long and narrow. I like the older first series 88-94 consoles the best. The 73-91 k blazers where nice and had some aluminum trim if I remmeber right. they were kinda old school looking. Check out 67-72chevytrucks.com in the for sale section..you may turn up whats your looking for.

Muscle Car PWR
07-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Guys I am considering selling the truck. C heck out the Cars for Sale thread for details. Need a family vehicle that will tow.

tobenk
07-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Travis i thought u had the red dually that was in the mag.

Muscle Car PWR
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Sold it to pay off some debt. Trying to get finances in line to buy a house while the rates are low and will need a family rig again that can tow.

tobenk
08-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Travis we got the September issue yesterday and the truck looks awesome man. Love the interior, paint, wheels, hell the whole thing. :hail:

Muscle Car PWR
08-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks. Gonna try to keep it and do the family truckster.

BlackenedRR
08-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Awesome feature on the truck, especially the shot with smoke pouring off the rear tires! :cheers:

Muscle Car PWR
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks Blackened.That burnout shot was fun. I was clicking the pic so my friend Marcel was driving.

Tig
08-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks. I've been showing it a bit. Took it to a few shows over the past few weeks and seems to be getting good feedback and good reviews. The older dudes like it alot. Still need to swap the intake and TBI and re-tune it. Hoping to get to that soon but got the enemy of lack of spare time fighting me. Can;t wait to get it sorted out so I can DRIVE IT HARD!!!! Comes out on cover of Sept. 2010 issue of Street Trucks

You must have quite the collection of trophies. "older dudes" how old is older dudes, hah?
What are your plans for the intake and TBI? I hear that, we could use a few more hours in the day to get this stuff sorted out, hah. I'm looking forward to seeing some hard driving shots of your truck.
Congrats on the cover shot, as always looks amazing.
I just so happen to have a sub to ST, seriously, your truck is awesome.

Muscle Car PWR
08-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks TIG. It's a fun truck. Just need to get to tuning it and it will be lots of fun.

Jr
11-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Travis,

Nice to meet you at the Optima challenge.

Any updates with the truck?

N2TRUX
11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks Blackened.That burnout shot was fun. I was clicking the pic so my friend Marcel was driving.That had to be a blast for Marcel. "Here bro, take my truck and boil the tires while I take pics!" Marcel says "uh yeah"...:unibrow: