PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro what's it worth ?

71RS/SS396
01-30-2010, 09:49 AM
I have a 69 camaro I bought a few years ago as a half finished project and finished it. I did not paint this car or build the motor so I have limited info on them. I will list what the car has below with a few pics.

DSE parts on the car:
Radiator close out, headlight motors, 8-speed wipers, rear drop springs, dash carrier w/ autometer ultra lites (volt,oil,water,speedo,tach,clock,fuel.),billet hood hinges, smooth firewall panel.

Drivetrain:
1970 396 w/ 375 HP solid cam,edelbrock performer rpm intake,750 holley,roller rockers,ceramic coated headers,vintage air front runner assy. Monster 700R4. Moser 9 inch narrowed 2 inches to get some dish to the rear wheels 3.70 posi. this was purchased from DSE with all the good internals and axles.

Heidts narrowed upper/lower tubular control arms
Baer 4 wheel disk brakes w/ pbr calipers and tall spindles, AGR quick ratio box, Front coil over shocks.

Vintage air/heat, power windows, keyless entry, power trunk, factory tilt column, Kenwood stereo/cd w/sirius satellite.

18x9.5 and 18x8 Foose Nitrous II's w/ Pilot sport 2's

The paint has a few small chips because the car was built to drive and it has been driven.

All of the glass, trim, and emblems were new when the car was built.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/tmackg71/69%20camaro/1969wheels.jpg

The engine bay is indentical to this pic except for the six shooter and 502 emblems

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/tmackg71/69%20headers/header2001.jpg

GregWeld
01-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Well -- no offense meant here - but that's really a bogus way to get an opinion.... Your post takes you to another website - that shows the body of one car - and the motor of another - and the description is of a completely different car than either of the pictures...

So who the heck could have an opinion when you'd have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING AT.

Post up pics of the ACTUAL car/project or whatever it is.

:beavis:

:ttiwop:

71RS/SS396
01-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Well -- no offense meant here - but that's really a bogus way to get an opinion.... Your post takes you to another website - that shows the body of one car - and the motor of another - and the description is of a completely different car than either of the pictures...

So who the heck could have an opinion when you'd have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING AT.

Post up pics of the ACTUAL car/project or whatever it is.

:beavis:

:ttiwop:

The link pic is of the car I'm taking about I just gave a little background of the car before I finished it and the engine compartment looks indentical to it. I cannot get anymore pics because the car is in storage 3 hours away from me.

71RS/SS396
01-30-2010, 10:40 AM
There,I fixed it for you Greg.:)

John68rs
01-30-2010, 02:11 PM
I can't help with the value, but it will be fun to see what people write.

MWCC
01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
What's it worth???.......Whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If you've been watching the market, cars are down now. Camaro's are taking a hit for sure. Mr. October sold a COPO at BJ several years ago for over $800k. Now COPO's are struggling to break $200k. What does that tell you??

There are now a ton of nice cars out there for under $30k. Supply is high and demand is low. Did you notice that there were a ton of Camaro's and not that many Hemi cars at BJ last week?? Mopars have been taking huge hits over the last few auctions and I suspect the owners are just keeping them in their garages now until the market turns around.

My honest opinion......muscle car prices were getting way out of hand and were totally unrealistic, but I guess there were a lot of people out there with disposable incomes. It was only a matter of time before reality set in. I'm gald in a way to see prices are down because it will make the hobby more affordable for the average Joe.

I'm with GregWeld, you need actual pics of the entire car but like I said, its only worth what someone will pay for it.

GregWeld
01-31-2010, 09:46 AM
It's still hard, nay impossible, to put a value on a car - with only exterior pics etc.... to evaluate the car a guy has to see underneath - the engine - the interior - and closeups of the paint blemishes etc. Nice looking car by the way - I like the two tone.... My Sister/BIL's is black over red - like yours - but has some penis extension poking out the hood... :lol:

I totally get that you're far away from the car and can't do this right now... but until you can -- nobody will be able to 'guesstimate' what the car is worth. And any guess would be LOW because you don't really know what's there.

There's an abundance of REALLY nice completely "done" cars out there now... and for the most part - they've gone begging for bids. Cars that would have easily had multiple bids on them at 6 figures - now can't get any interest at 60ish.... Cars are like houses - "MOST" buyers need to sell one - in order to buy one... if they can't sell theirs - they can't buy yours. And that's what I've seen with my friends cars. They have their eyes out for something "new" but are unable or UNWILLING to part with theirs at these lower valuations. They're looking at what they "have in them" rather than what they're "worth"... right now - that's a big disconnect. Will the prices come back? Who knows... and who knows how long that will take.

Personally - I think a lot of these cars were being bought with "house money" not real money. People were doing house re-fi's and equity loans etc with "cheap money" to buy. Now we're seeing people selling the cars in order to pay off the loans or in some cases to finance bills that are coming due with no job etc. The desperate sellers set the price - not the guys that don't need to sell.

I'd search EBAY... and also Barrett Jackson... see if you see REAL comparable cars - and subtract about 10% off the BJ prices because they have real selling power compared to doing it on your own... but beware the power of over valuing i.e., "my car is just as good as that one".... you have to be realistic in choosing your comps.

What I saw at BJ (my own experience - which counts for NOTHING) was that there was so many nice cars to choose from - and fewer real bidders... and the few people that were bidding - were being real choosy... and in many cases - in the past - guys were hitting home runs on cars they had brought to sell - that they had real money left over to buy - and that was a self feeding action... but this year with prices being REALISTIC - people weren't so jacked about buying after they failed to get what "WAS" the old price for their car. (that, and the weather sucked).

MWCC
01-31-2010, 09:52 AM
DEAD ON THE MONEY GREG!!!:thumbsup:

71RS/SS396
01-31-2010, 10:24 AM
It's still hard, nay impossible, to put a value on a car - with only exterior pics etc.... to evaluate the car a guy has to see underneath - the engine - the interior - and closeups of the paint blemishes etc. Nice looking car by the way - I like the two tone.... My Sister/BIL's is black over red - like yours - but has some penis extension poking out the hood... :lol:

I totally get that you're far away from the car and can't do this right now... but until you can -- nobody will be able to 'guesstimate' what the car is worth. And any guess would be LOW because you don't really know what's there.

There's an abundance of REALLY nice completely "done" cars out there now... and for the most part - they've gone begging for bids. Cars that would have easily had multiple bids on them at 6 figures - now can't get any interest at 60ish.... Cars are like houses - "MOST" buyers need to sell one - in order to buy one... if they can't sell theirs - they can't buy yours. And that's what I've seen with my friends cars. They have their eyes out for something "new" but are unable or UNWILLING to part with theirs at these lower valuations. They're looking at what they "have in them" rather than what they're "worth"... right now - that's a big disconnect. Will the prices come back? Who knows... and who knows how long that will take.

Personally - I think a lot of these cars were being bought with "house money" not real money. People were doing house re-fi's and equity loans etc with "cheap money" to buy. Now we're seeing people selling the cars in order to pay off the loans or in some cases to finance bills that are coming due with no job etc. The desperate sellers set the price - not the guys that don't need to sell.

I'd search EBAY... and also Barrett Jackson... see if you see REAL comparable cars - and subtract about 10% off the BJ prices because they have real selling power compared to doing it on your own... but beware the power of over valuing i.e., "my car is just as good as that one".... you have to be realistic in choosing your comps.

What I saw at BJ (my own experience - which counts for NOTHING) was that there was so many nice cars to choose from - and fewer real bidders... and the few people that were bidding - were being real choosy... and in many cases - in the past - guys were hitting home runs on cars they had brought to sell - that they had real money left over to buy - and that was a self feeding action... but this year with prices being REALISTIC - people weren't so jacked about buying after they failed to get what "WAS" the old price for their car. (that, and the weather sucked).

Greg, fortunately I am not in that financial position, I just have to many cars and would like to build another one,but I am to space limited right now. I have no delusions that I'm going to get my money back, but there is a limit on what I'm willing to lose on it, this is purely a space issue for me as you can see. (pic)

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/tmackg71/warehouse-Copy.jpg

Vegas69
01-31-2010, 10:30 AM
In this market you better need to sell, or want to sell. The days of somebody has to have it are few and far between.

GregWeld
01-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Okay -- Space issue or not -- you might have missed my point and a statement in my comments saying that "it's the desperate sellers that set the price...." My point being that there ARE desperate sellers out there - LOTS OF THEM - that are forced to sell because of whatever reason... and they are the ones that are lowering the bar. Houses are no different - if you choose to sell your house - and there are 3 foreclosures on your block for sale - THEY set the value of what you can get for your house... and this is some of what is happening in the car world now... there are people that will take half or less for their car compared to what they would have asked for it 2 years ago... and they are the ones that are depressing prices.... along with - a lack of buyers in general. The folks that were buying with equity mortgage money are no longer there! The "market" is set by asking prices - quantity available for sale - and quantity of buyers... and what they're willing to pay. BUYERS are setting the market now - not the sellers. It was a sellers market. Now it's a buyers market.

I'd toss the car on Ebay -- set a reserve -- and go fishing for buyers... the bids will tell you what it's worth - but you're going to have to post up great description - and great pictures of EVERYTHING in order to maximize the bidding. I just helped a buddy list his 41 Plymouth -- I was shocked by the amount of lookers "(hits") and the amount of bidders! It didn't sell (didn't meet his reserve) but he has it sold to two different folks via the after market discussions. He wants a '32 Ford roadster -- and is typical of the market now - he can't buy until he sells... for him - it's working out - but he had to pass on a car I wanted him to buy because he hadn't sold his yet... and wouldn't risk buying before he sold his. Houses were this way for a while - people would buy the one they wanted KNOWING they could sell their quickly - good luck with that strategy now!! :rofl:

Your Camaro looks great -- and I would think it would fetch some active bidding on eBay or similar. Maybe mid 40's... judging by the one that Fletchers Customs bought and sold recently... but like I said earlier - without great photos - it's a complete crap shoot.

By the way -- go back and look at a FOR SALE listing here in the forums - for "MALITUDE". I would have put that car at a buck fifty EASY and maybe more at BJ '07/'06.... not sure what it finally netted - but it was well under a buck. That was a real shocker to me - because it was a well known car build... and was right on and well done! It wasn't a Camaro... and that may have held it back... but it wasn't a Rambler either!

70rs
01-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Greg, fortunately I am not in that financial position, I just have to many cars and would like to build another one,but I am to space limited right now. I have no delusions that I'm going to get my money back, but there is a limit on what I'm willing to lose on it, this is purely a space issue for me as you can see. (pic)

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/tmackg71/warehouse-Copy.jpg

There may be a 12 step program in your area for that car addiction.....:D

Nice looking collection there. Just messin' with ya there^^^^:cheers:

GregWeld
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Okay -- so here's the thing I was just talking about -- right here in our own for sale section ---- an arguably nice car - begging for a sale at 60K... price already lowered... that I would say would have gone easy 90's two years ago... It has a 502 - and Custom interior - which puts it ahead of a 396... and houndstooth... but I'd say they're a close comp... without seeing more of yours.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=24033

71RS/SS396
01-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Okay -- so here's the thing I was just talking about -- right here in our own for sale section ---- an arguably nice car - begging for a sale at 60K... price already lowered... that I would say would have gone easy 90's two years ago... It has a 502 - and Custom interior - which puts it ahead of a 396... and houndstooth... but I'd say they're a close comp... without seeing more of yours.

That is more than I would list this car for I have been thinking mid 40's but just wanted some other opinions rather than list it too high and let it sit on the market forever.

71RS/SS396
01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
There may be a 12 step program in your area for that car addiction.....:D

Nice looking collection there. Just messin' with ya there^^^^:cheers:

Well I have taken the first step I admit I have a problem but that's as far as I get. I refuse to change.

70rs
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Well I have taken the first step I admit I have a problem but that's as far as I get. I refuse to change.

:lol: Do you own all of those cars there or is that a "group" storage? (thinking maybe some friends all got together to help with storage expenses or something?) There looks to be some neat cars in there, can you tell us anything about the collection?

MarkM66
01-31-2010, 12:04 PM

$90k? LOL. That car isn't worth $60k, any year. The engine compartment gives away the level of build quality.

71RS/SS396
01-31-2010, 01:01 PM
:lol: Do you own all of those cars there or is that a "group" storage? (thinking maybe some friends all got together to help with storage expenses or something?) There looks to be some neat cars in there, can you tell us anything about the collection?

All of them belong to my Dad and I there is a little bit of everything in there 59-64 impalas,belairs,bicaynes,ford and chevy p/u, 1st and 2nd gen novas and camaros ,a couple 66-67 chevelles, a bunch of 60's wagons, hell there's even a 66 corvair w/ a 455 old in the back seat. too many to list.

70rs
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
All of them belong to my Dad and I there is a little bit of everything in there 59-64 impalas,belairs,bicaynes,ford and chevy p/u, 1st and 2nd gen novas and camaros ,a couple 66-67 chevelles, a bunch of 60's wagons, hell there's even a 66 corvair w/ a 455 old in the back seat. too many to list.

Sounds like a diverse collection. When you get a chance post up some more pics. A corvair with a 455 in it sounds like some fun! I saw a Nomad back there on the left (black and white I think) any more on that one?

71RS/SS396
01-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Sounds like a diverse collection. When you get a chance post up some more pics. A corvair with a 455 in it sounds like some fun! I saw a Nomad back there on the left (black and white I think) any more on that one?

That is a Nomad (56) sorry but I don't have any pics right now of the Nomad and the corvair is still a project in the same state as it was purchased

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/tmackg71/corvair1.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/tmackg71/corvair13.jpg

ironworks
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Is that red truck from bakersfield? Glad to see you admit your problem.

71RS/SS396
01-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Is that red truck from bakersfield? Glad to see you admit your problem.

It is from Cali !:_paranoid

70rs
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm guessing that it has the tansaxle out of a Toronado in it with that motor? The poor little stock Corvair unit would have exploded at start up.:lol:
That car is going to be a serious handfull if it ever gets on the road.

71RS/SS396
01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm guessing that it has the tansaxle out of a Toronado in it with that motor? The poor little stock Corvair unit would have exploded at start up.:lol:
That car is going to be a serious handfull if it ever gets on the road.

Yep toro trans. the 455 is far from stock too Mondello prepped heads,W-30 cam and intake. It will get on the road, it's just waiting its turn, it actually can be driven now it runs it just needs some cleaning up of the plumbing and cosmetic stuff.