PDA

View Full Version : 4 post lift options

XcYZ
01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm posting this question for a friend - what is a good 4 post lift option? I know there are quite a few different brands, but are there any that stand out with extra features/options?

If you have a 4 post, what kind is it?

Thanks. :cheers:

Vegas69
01-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Four posts are alignment racks. I wouldn't buy one for a home shop.

XcYZ
01-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Storage....

Vegas69
01-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Even for storage....

XcYZ
01-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks.

Anyone else?

awr68
01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
I like the idea of having casters for it. Do they all have this option?

nvr2fst
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Here you go Scott, My buddy Paul has this product for his storage capacity.
He has no options that Im aware of. However he did have to relocate his overhead garage opener to a side mount.
http://www.bendpak.com/

Cris@JCG
01-28-2010, 11:01 PM
BendPak Incorporated
www.bendpak.com/ -

clill
01-28-2010, 11:07 PM
I have two, both have casters. First one I bought years ago was over 4K, Backyard Buddy brand and is very well made. Second one is a Direct-Lift and was about 1800.00 delivered. It is made in China but works fine. Noticeably cheaper construction but for storage or light use it is great

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Four-Post-Car-Lift-4-Post-Auto-Lifts-8000-lb_W0QQitemZ390139750535QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Automotive_Tools?hash=item5ad6242887

clill
01-28-2010, 11:09 PM
and when you add this you can do all kinds of stuff..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Four-Post-Lift-Rolling-Jack-4-post-Car-Lifts-Jacks_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53df4dfed2QQitemZ 360228716242QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

nvr2fst
01-28-2010, 11:15 PM
If your looking for something a little less cost, this one is a popular choice on garage journal http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products.html

Main thing is to make sure he has the spread width figured right. My buddy screwed up; He has like I do, separate garage doors for each bay, the problem is that the bays are very close to each other (about 2' between each overhead door) In the garage interior the posts sit very close to the plane parallel of the next overhead door making it challenging for his wife to park a car if she does not drive straight in exactly. Since Im writing of his problem your probably know what she has done in the past.

Chamberlain Liftmaster makes a great side mount lift eliminating the center overhead track.

Vegas69
01-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Not trying to be a smart ass here. I've worked on both extensively. 4 posts just get in the way. If it's storage only then I understand, otherwise it's not that much work to lift it from the frame and let the suspension hang. You walk through any auto shop and you will see 1, maybe 2.

jmarsa
01-29-2010, 07:09 AM
In the fall I bought a Pro Park 8 Plus mainly for storage use.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Direct-Lift-Pro-Park-8-Plus-p/tppro-park8.htm

1.They have a great site with lots of info.
2. When I called they answered all my questions without being "you don't want to buy anything else, it'll kill you".
3. It arrived 2 days after the order.
4. It was packed well with no dammage/missing pieces.
5. Easy to assemble and set up
6. When I called with post sales questions they were helpful.
7. Great price and resonable freight costs.

I'm 6'2 and with the unit lifted all the way up I don't need to duck when I walk underneath it. But I also can't touch the floor pan so if I were working on the car I'd have to lower it.

--JMarsa

EBMC
01-29-2010, 07:33 AM
In the fall I bought a Pro Park 8 Plus mainly for storage use.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Direct-Lift-Pro-Park-8-Plus-p/tppro-park8.htm

1.They have a great site with lots of info.
2. When I called they answered all my questions without being "you don't want to buy anything else, it'll kill you".
3. It arrived 2 days after the order.
4. It was packed well with no dammage/missing pieces.
5. Easy to assemble and set up
6. When I called with post sales questions they were helpful.
7. Great price and resonable freight costs.

I'm 6'2 and with the unit lifted all the way up I don't need to duck when I walk underneath it. But I also can't touch the floor pan so if I were working on the car I'd have to lower it.

--JMarsa

We have one of these in our shop used mainly for storage and street rods which are difficult to rack on our two posts. It is an ALI certified rack and we've been very happy with quality vs cost. A four post is also very useful when suspension needs to be loaded and exhaust work (rearend clearance).

jmarsa
01-29-2010, 07:44 AM
I also like the fact that it's warehoused by the people selling it. The parent company is the Dover elevator co and it's engineered by them :) but built to their specs overseas :( .

--JMarsa

clill
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
4 posts work great especially with the sliding jack I had posted the link to. When I want to steam clean under a car I roll the whole thing outside and have at it. When you are working under the car the rails it sits on also make great place to put all the nuts, bolts,parts etc as you are removing them. There is also less chance for error as opposed to a two post. In this forum we are mostly home users and alot of home users are novices when it comes to working on cars and you really need to pay attention when picking the lift points of a car when using a two post. A four post you are driving onto the rails and the main thing to watch for is the locking safety tabs on each corner. I see a two post in my future but I have plenty of room. If I only had room for one I would get a 4 post with casters.

Beegs
01-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Look at shipping weight. The better lifts tend to have more steel in them. Stay away from the "light" ones.

wedged
01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
unless it just for storage or doing alignments, I wouldn't recommend a 4 post either. I've used a ton of different lifts over the years and I highly recommend getting a professional grade lift vs. some backyard type. Make sure the lift is ALI or ETL approved.

I got my Bend Pak 10,000 lb clear floor wide lift from this place a few years ago : http://www.e-autolifts.com/

good people to work with and there were no hassles at all.

onebad68
01-29-2010, 04:08 PM
I have a Direct Lift as well. It was cheep enough for someone like me to purchase, and I use it all the time. with no problems. I have had for 5+ years, and it great! I like it and would purchase another one if I had the room.

itsals1
01-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Scott,
Make sure you check with Kurt, I know he has one in his house garage.
Travis

GregWeld
01-30-2010, 09:15 AM
I had a 4 post --- for about a week.... THEY SUCK! Storage only. If you want to work on your car - get an Asymmetric frame lift. It can store your car just as well... and you can actually work on something if you want to.

No "opinion" here <----------- :lol:

Vegas69
01-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Finally the voice of reason.:D

Spiffav8
01-30-2010, 10:45 PM
SW has a few and that guy has nothing but really nice stuff. I'd ask him.

:captain:

rwhite692
02-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Backyard Buddy w/Casters here. Having used both, I greatly prefer the stability of the 4-post over the two-post...I have really never had any problem doing anything that I wanted to do, on the four-post.

GregWeld
02-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Backyard Buddy w/Casters here. Having used both, I greatly prefer the stability of the 4-post over the two-post...I have really never had any problem doing anything that I wanted to do, on the four-post.

I wish you'd get out there and start using it -- so you can get that project on the road!!

:unibrow:

rwhite692
02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I wish you'd get out there and start using it -- so you can get that project on the road!!

:unibrow:

Me too...Gotta finish up the new garage/shop first.

monza
02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I have a few 4 posts.( http://www.kennan.ab.ca/lifts.html ) Local dealer.

Mostly for storage, they work great. The casters supplied are shat and don't roll with it loaded. Besides that no complaints.

For working on the car I think I like the two post a little better. Being able to move the lift was a big priority for me so the four post became a obvious choice. Have yet to run into a situation working on a car that I thought they sucked?

Vegas69
02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
They sure beat a creaper.:rofl: Let's say you are swapping lower control arms or a complete rear end. The jacks like Charley pictured really get in the way for anthing but an alignment. For a novice that does very little large projects, then I agree that the 4 post is probably best.

monza
02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
and I was upgrading from a creeper. I kind of agree with Todd so I'm lucky to have two post access when ever I need it.

GregWeld
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Four posts are for beds....

:rofl:

gtotto
02-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I have a Backyard Buddy 4 post which works great. Now, in a perfect world I would have 3 different types of lifts in my shop but since I have only one in my garage, I went with a 4 post. I believe 2 and 4 posts both have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on what project your'e working on. The lift I have is a 110 volt which is nice since it can be plugged in anywhere and I didn't need to run a 220 circuit to feed it. Also I did not need to secure it to the concrete floor so if ever I move or need to change the configuration of my work space I can move the lift fairly easily. Whatever lift you do decide on should at least be of a " better quality" since your life could truly depend on it.

my .02

BonzoHansen
02-03-2010, 03:58 PM
In my experience:

4-post = storage, alignments, maybe oil changes and such.
2-post = work lift.

There are exceptions to both, but that is my general experience.

So if your pal is buying for mainly for storage go 4 post. I'd not store a car by hanging it in midair.

GregWeld
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
The funny part about this entire thread -- the OP asked specifically for STORAGE....

LOL

But it has been fun lobbing a grenade in here once in awhile... and reading what everyone feels is the best kind of lift.

clill
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
They sure beat a creaper.:rofl: Let's say you are swapping lower control arms or a complete rear end. The jacks like Charley pictured really get in the way for anthing but an alignment. For a novice that does very little large projects, then I agree that the 4 post is probably best.
I don't understand. I just took these pics. I'm going to be playing with the sway bar. I don't see where I couldn't swap out control arms or do any other front end work. The rear can also be lifted.

GregWeld
02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't understand. I just took these pics. I'm going to be playing with the sway bar. I don't see where I couldn't swap out control arms or do any other front end work. The rear can also be lifted.

That's way too high for me to work under....

Vegas69
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Take that front wheel off and duck under that lift 100 times a week to work on the inside of the hoist and then the outside. I was auto tech with GM from the age of 19-22ish. I've worked on 1000's of cars on hoists. Boy I don't miss those days! :unibrow:

clill
02-03-2010, 05:27 PM
But nobody on this site is going to be ducking under a lift 100 times a week. You can do just about anything with a 4 post that you can do with a 2 post plus you can do exhaust work with the suspension compressed etc. The negative to a 4 post is if you have something like a late model Camaro you can't drop the subframe. You need a 2 post to do that. I worked in a shop for about 6 years that had in ground lifts that had that had the arms you swung around and they were a pain. All this stuff is better now. The sliding jack that I just lifted the front of Jackass with took 4 posts to another level. I can pop a balljoint and work on the suspension at any height I want. With a 2 post I would be down at ground level with the jack on the floor to support the lower control arm. I can see if you are something like a brake shop where you are pulling wheels off every time the car is lifted that a two post would be faster but for the average guy on this site I still think a 4 post is the better way to go and safer.

awr68
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
One day I will have a 4 post in my garage. I like the fact that it can be moved around if need be. I also will be using it for storing my car. For me a 4 post makes total since.

Vegas69
02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
But nobody on this site is going to be ducking under a lift 100 times a week. You can do just about anything with a 4 post that you can do with a 2 post plus you can do exhaust work with the suspension compressed etc. The negative to a 4 post is if you have something like a late model Camaro you can't drop the subframe. You need a 2 post to do that. I worked in a shop for about 6 years that had in ground lifts that had that had the arms you swung around and they were a pain. All this stuff is better now. The sliding jack that I just lifted the front of Jackass with took 4 posts to another level. I can pop a balljoint and work on the suspension at any height I want. With a 2 post I would be down at ground level with the jack on the floor to support the lower control arm. I can see if you are something like a brake shop where you are pulling wheels off every time the car is lifted that a two post would be faster but for the average guy on this site I still think a 4 post is the better way to go and safer.

You like red heads, I like brunettes. I always used a set of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41860 That way you can simulate suspension at load, hold exhaust in place, support the front or rear of the vehicle if you removed the engine or frame. I'll bet you a beer that next time I see you, you will have been in a scenario where you cussed your lift for being in the way or conking your head on it and wished you had a 2 post. Bet? :D

BonzoHansen
02-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Charley, my issues with 4 posts with suspension work, etc., is that the lift gets in the way too much. It can be done, not as easily. I'd say the 80/20 rule covers this well. I'd guess 80% of the the work we do is easier on a 2 post.

You like red heads, I like brunettes. I always used a set of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41860 That way you can simulate suspension at load, hold exhaust in place, support the front or rear of the vehicle if you removed the engine or frame. I'll bet you a beer that next time I see you, you will have been in a scenario where you cussed your lift for being in the way or conking your head on it and wished you had a 2 post. Bet? :D

the ones with pedal to push stuff up..like the back of a trans...are nice.

GregWeld
02-03-2010, 07:58 PM
One day I will have a 4 post in my garage. I like the fact that it can be moved around if need be. I also will be using it for storing my car. For me a 4 post makes total since.

BESIDES YOU'LL NEVER EVER HIT YOUR HEAD!!

GregWeld
02-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I've got two of these -- with the pedal.... used 'em today as a matter of fact. I ALWAYS stabilize the front of the car if I'm working on the rear end - or vice versa... And sometimes I use my air driven hydraulic tranny jack to raise or lower the rear end - while checking the panhard bar - or something else... and I want the front "stable" while jacking this stuff around.

The car I'm putting together for my buddy -- had a metallic noise coming from the passenger rear... and since I didn't do the brake work (Wilwoods) -- I had to investigate the source. To remove the big ol fat wheel and tire - you have to undo both coilovers - and the sway bar and get the rear end down as far as possible to clear the rotor as there's not enough distance between the fender lip and the rotor to clear the tire! Turns out that one pad was installed with the metal backing to the rotor rather than the pad!! I had to take a picture of that! LOL

Again - the thread asked about STORAGE lifts -- but I can tell you that what I was doing today - would have been a HUGE hassle on a 4 post (posts are for beds)... and worse had I not had this stands to raise and lower the rear end etc.

:cheers:

camcojb
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Charley, my issues with 4 posts with suspension work, etc., is that the lift gets in the way too much. It can be done, not as easily. I'd say the 80/20 rule covers this well. I'd guess 80% of the the work we do is easier on a 2 post.

the ones with pedal to push stuff up..like the back of a trans...are nice.
I would say 80-90% of the work I do with my 4 post does not include removing the tires.............. when it does it's a 30 second job with the jack I use on my lift.

I much prefer a 4 post.
1. Faster to lift as you drive on and go, no setting the arms
2. Much more stable (I've personally had cars slide/move on the arms of a 2 post, more than once....................)
3. I would go as far as to say that most home slabs are not thick enough to properly support a 2 post lift (6" minimum slab thickness recommended in most cases)
4. Portability............ I can move my 4 post anywhere in the shop or outside for pressure washing the bottom of the car

Jody

GregWeld
02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh sure Jody -- One of ya lies and the other one swears to it!

awr68
02-03-2010, 08:29 PM
BESIDES YOU'LL NEVER EVER HIT YOUR HEAD!!

Well.....there's that part too I guess!

If we didn't stand eye-to-eye I might take that the wrong way! :lol:

camcojb
02-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh sure Jody -- One of ya lies and the other one swears to it!
pretty much how it works, right???????? :D Seriously, I am a 4 post fan............ :thumbsup:

XcYZ
02-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys. :thumbsup: The guy who I asked the question on behalf of has a heated slab, so a 2 post is absolutely out of the question.

BonzoHansen
02-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I would say 80-90% of the work I do with my 4 post does not include removing the tires.............. when it does it's a 30 second job with the jack I use on my lift.

I much prefer a 4 post.
1. Faster to lift as you drive on and go, no setting the arms
2. Much more stable (I've personally had cars slide/move on the arms of a 2 post, more than once....................)
3. I would go as far as to say that most home slabs are not thick enough to properly support a 2 post lift (6" minimum slab thickness recommended in most cases)
4. Portability............ I can move my 4 post anywhere in the shop or outside for pressure washing the bottom of the car

JodyI understand. Esp #3, which is a real concern, but that is not the lifts fault, lol. I never had a vehicle I set slide though.

Maybe I'm just too used to industrial strength drive on racks, the platforms are far bulkier than the home ones.

Vegas69
02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I take full responsibility for the demise of this thread. :lol: Maybe the reason I'm so pro 2 post is because I never cared that much if I dropped someone elses car. :D

GregWeld
02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Now I'm only jealous that this guy has a heated slab...

Todd -- you don't have any need for a heated slab - yours is probably cooled...

rwhite692
02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
That's way too high for me to work under....

That's because....You're short!

Also you can lift as little or as much as you want, so...???

clill
02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
I remember when I got my first 4 post. I was so thrilled that I was able to pull the engine, trans out of a 66 SS Chevelle convert without getting on a creeper or laying down once...Life got better when that lift arrived.... I have been looking at getting a two post but I would still recommend a 4 post for the average guy

GregWeld
02-04-2010, 09:46 PM
You need a 2 post asymmetrical lift Charley - I'll bring mine down for you... and I'll order a new ROTARY lift....

syborg tt
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
If your looking for something a little less cost, this one is a popular choice on garage journal http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products.html

Okay first off this thread is a riot to read.

I am also a big fan of Dannmar lifts we have 2 on order for the shop and 1 for my garage at home.

The other 2 post lift that doesn't get my air time is this one. Perfect for the guy at home who doesn't have a high ceiling

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

BTW - Greg you crack me up

Vegas69
02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks alot Marty!

GregWeld
02-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Great Marty! As long as that bugs Todd... I'm good with that!! :woot:

g356gear
06-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Any feedback on the Bendpak HD models?

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-post-lifts/HD-9.aspx

796spdbu
07-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Greg,your sense of humor is second to none..I cant wait to hang out again next time im in califonia.

Todd,you have some real good points.